Patrick Elwood joins WGN

lazynetjunkie

Great pick-up, but I can't help but think that for every reporter 'GN adds, CLTV drops further into the abyss.

The Tribune duo has tons of great reporters in its arsenal, but most are wasted on field reporting, rarely given the chance to anchor. If CLTV was given a major overhaul, it could really become a worthy contender in the crowded news field...even though they don't have a great carriage footprint. For example, what if Elwood reunited with Nancy Loo for a solid, completely-live block of primetime news? Even with U-Verse, I'd find a way to watch. Schedule CLTV's blocks around WGN's hours, so they'd put on their big broadcasts from like 4-7 AM, 9-11 AM, 2-5 PM, 6-9 PM and maybe even 10-midnight. However, they would still have lower-key, solo-anchored newscasts in the off-hours.

Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm happy for Patrick, but I was SO hoping Channel 2 would have had the brains to snatch him up. Maybe they still could since he's just freelance? Give him a nice contract...he'd be perfect as morning anchor (replace Kris Gutierrez who, bluntly put, was a stupid hire). Channel 2 has sunk to dead last in the mornings again, and they still haven't even replaced Susan Carlson. Not that I'm surprised though, since it took them a good 7 months to replace Steve Bartelstein (who was actually good) and the best they could come up with was Kris Gutierrez?! So I don't even know why I bother having hope for 'BBM - it's like they're asleep at the wheel - especially ever since Wilke took over. But Patrick Elwood & Roseanne Tellez would be great. So would Patrick Elwood & Anna Davlantes if the rumors of her hiring are true.

I Agree with using the stable of WGN anchors to shore up CLTV. its abysmal. Patrick Elwood is a good anchor and would be brilliant to help cover breaking news as he is a real Chicagoan. When you look at the legacy that NY1 has created, CLTV pales in comparison. Its horrible and frankly worthlesss. Its not Chicago's go to channel at all. Its almost like a placeholder channel. Why Tribune continues to agree to the COMCAST only model is beyond me.

I think the model to aspire to is what was created for Toronto. They have CP24. Its the channel created by Citytv as an outgrowth of the their news division in the mid 90s. Its ownership has changed hands over the years but is very urban focused channel with incredible ability to cover the city like no station can. They use the tag line TORONTO'S BREAKING NEWS.

WGN has the reporters and anchors, available to really create something truly great but they somehow refuse to take the leap and inject thought, innovation and money. I do like the 5pm newscast. They took a page out of Citytv's playbook by broadcasting from the newsroom.

Archived