CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

57 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Project Veritas is at it again - this time accusing CBS of staging the length of the line of a drive-in COVID testing site at a Michigan hospital featured in a segment on CTM. CBS denies the Veritas accusations, but removed a portion of the CTM segement.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/coronavirus-cbs-news-project-veritas-1202927556/

Well if the denying it then it kinda means they did. Especially if they removed a portion of the segment. Sounds suspicious!!!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, J1975am said:

The program is back in the CBS Broadcast Center as of this morning (with a number of changes in regards to anchor location & safety)....https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/06/22/cbs-this-morning-returns-studio-57/

At least 1 of the three will be at home for a broadcast each day.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Could CTM be moving to Times Square? Talks are just that at this point but apparently CBS liked having the show broadcast from its Viacom studios in Times Square for the election.

I say go for it since GMA hardly uses the exterior of Times Square in any form on camera anymore. 

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cbs-this-morning-times-square-tv-news-1234848704/

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Could CTM be moving to Times Square? Talks are just that at this point but apparently CBS liked having the show broadcast from its Viacom studios in Times Square for the election.

I say go for it since GMA hardly uses the exterior of Times Square in any form on camera anymore

I'd say go for it too. Not only would moving to Times Square give CTM a breath of fresh air in several ways like studio-wise and design-wise (including a bigger window for passersby to look into), it would also give the Broadcast Center space for another TV show (or at least CBS [News]) to do production. A straight-up win-win for everyone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I say go for it since GMA hardly uses the exterior of Times Square in any form on camera anymore. 

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/cbs-this-morning-times-square-tv-news-1234848704/

Why not give it a shot?

6 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

I'd say go for it too. Not only would moving to Times Square give CTM a breath of fresh air in several ways like studio-wise and design-wise (including a bigger window for passersby to look into), it would also give the Broadcast Center space for another TV show (or at least CBS [News]) to do production. A straight-up win-win for everyone.

The old TRL studio is above ground and the last thing that area needs in the present circumstances is a crowd. 

GMA doesn't use the exterior like they used to, but the pandemic is what really shut that down. Ginger would do the weather, and plenty of warm weather segments would take place outside. As for CBS, if they're just doing it for a view, that seems like a waste of money. However, if they're going to go outside and interact (make it worth their while), then that would require a serious format shift that I don't think is a good idea.

8 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Question, how big is the space at Studio 57? 

That could determine what the eventual next steps could look like for CBS assuming that CTM moves to Times Square.

I have to wonder though how ABC's GMA feels about having a competitor in the same area?

Viacom probably wants to make a statement about the two companies being under the same roof again and make better use of prime real estate. MTV made good use of it during the first run of TRL, but it has been pretty much vacant ever since. Getting CTM in there is probably the best chance of anyone ever using that studio space again. The recent reboot of TRL flopped pretty quickly. I'm not sure how much this plays a factor too, but I believe there are some local regulations that require property owners/tenants in Times Square to have a flashy or high profile exterior use. The MTV studio has never been all that flashy, but it was certainly high profile during TRL in attracting huge crowds.

If they do move, I'd be worried that CBS would then be lured into making the same mistakes again as the Early Show in trying to emulate the trappings of their competitors. I shudder at the thought of dueling outdoor concerts. The best thing about CTM and Studio 57 at the beginning is that it was true to what CBS News does best.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 24994J said:

GMA doesn't use the exterior like they used to, but the pandemic is what really shut that down. Ginger would do the weather, and plenty of warm weather segments would take place outside. As for CBS, if they're just doing it for a view, that seems like a waste of money. However, if they're going to go outside and interact (make it worth their while), then that would require a serious format shift that I don't think is a good idea.

Sure Ginger did her first half hour weather hits from outside but other than that they typically don’t do much outside especially since introducing a studio audience on the second floor. About 1.5 years ago they reconfigured the set to eliminate the windows behind home base (on-air). Even the soft set is based in front of large monitor walls. And walking near the studio in Midtown they have only one window not plastered up to see inside the studio. If not for the “Live in Times Square” in the intro, one could be confused as to where the show is filmed.

• 1 month later...

Well good for them! I haven't watched Weekend Today since Shenielle Jones left. CBS This Morning Saturday is very enjoyable and informative to watch. Out of all the morning shows, I feel like they are thriving the most since they cut out all the entertainment/lifestyle section of the morning broadcast. If you watch the weekday counterparts, GMA and Today seems to be struggling to fill up their broadcast. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly CTM-related here but CBS also had the best ratings of the broadcast networks in all key demos & total viewers for cumulative impeachment coverage, even if election coverage was soft. Not saying CBS is all of a sudden going to be the king of the hill now, but despite how messy it is behind the scenes/in corporate, there is definitely still untapped potential here for the network.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

If I'm understanding that tweet, I see it as they notched a 2nd place finish that day. It says they beat Today. It doesn't say that they came in first. Right?

Right - number 2 for the Monday after the Super Bowl and in third for the rest of the week.

• Like 2

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings