CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Ratings for CBS This Morning are down 21% since its relaunch.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2019/06/26/cbs-this-morning-ratings-drop-21-since-new-co-hosts-joined-gayle-king/#32ae32fa648b

Ratings for all the morning shows are down compared to last year, however, CBS has suffered the biggest losses.  

Compared to the same week last year,  ABC was -4% in total viewers, NBC was -4% in total viewers, while CBS was -9%. In the A25-54 demo, ABC was -10%, NBC was -11% and CBS -17% vs. the comparable week last year.”

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-june-17-2/407148/

20 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Dan Rather took the CBSEN from #1 to #3 in a matter of 1 year when he joined the program.

Actually, seven years; the crash to #3 came after Dan exchanged verbal fisticuffs with George H.W. Bush in 1988.

3 hours ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Actually, seven years; the crash to #3 came after Dan exchanged verbal fisticuffs with George H.W. Bush in 1988.

I believe in 93 was the closet CBS came to dropping Dan from the CBSEN before they actually did in 2005.

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2019/06/26/cbs-this-morning-ratings-drop-21-since-new-co-hosts-joined-gayle-king/#32ae32fa648b

Ratings for all the morning shows are down compared to last year, however, CBS has suffered the biggest losses.  

Compared to the same week last year,  ABC was -4% in total viewers, NBC was -4% in total viewers, while CBS was -9%. In the A25-54 demo, ABC was -10%, NBC was -11% and CBS -17% vs. the comparable week last year.”

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-june-17-2/407148/

It’s still early but my feeling is this won’t end well. My guess is 2-3 years tops and then this team is dissolved. Perhaps Tony will then join Katy at MSNBC. This could be why Jeff agreed to co-anchor CBS Saturday Morning again. Perhaps he sees a chance to co-host cbs this morning in a few years.

Count me in the hundreds of thousands of people that have stopped tuning in. I was loyal to CBS This Morning since the 2012 relaunch, but don’t really like the new format now or the way the anchors don’t really seem to gel with each other. Liked the old desk setup and the harder news focus. Wish they would have named some bigger draws instead of Mason and Dokoupil. And I like  Gayle but she is better as a supporting anchor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Not surprising. No matter what changes the network gives to its weekday news programs, the ratings always drop soon after the debut. I believe things will probably change a bit for the better later on, but at this point it feels a bit sad.

(And sadly I know it'll happen when Norah begins her tenure at the Evening News next month.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Gayle is getting a lot of backlash. for this   https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/02/05/kobe-bryant-gayle-king-sparks-outrage-questions-rape-charge/4672566002/ 

My question is...

Why didn't Gayle  (and everyone in the Media) question Bill Cosby In 2012 and 2013 and before and bring up prior accusations against him? Cosby allegations of rape and sexual assault had been well known and documented for many years before it exploded in 2014. Remember he settled a civil lawsuit with 11 women in 2006. There was also the women who accuse him of sexual assault in 2000. Why wasn't anyone talking about that until it resurfaced in 2014 (and 50 more women came forward to accuse him) and then acted shocked like they had just heard it for the first time?  

Edited by TVNewsJunkie15
  • Like 2

My question is why not include the facts of case in their entirety? When you review the entire case, the accuser is without doubt incredibly dishonest and unethical. The media has deemed the accuser as being a habitual liar among many other things, but now in Kobe’s death a select few in the media believe its an appropriate time to focus on the allegations. Mind boggling and it’s exactly the reason that many Americans aren’t bothered by the POTUS attacks of the press. They are exactly what he describes them to be. 

Gayle didn’t need to bring the question up at all because as a journalist it’s her responsibility to vet stories and report the facts. By stating “how do you feel about the allegations?” she doesn’t provide any context and the statement is taken as fact. It upsets me that the news focuses on the salacious headlines and then hides behind it being “their job to ask tough questions.” It’s not a tough question, it’s a hot topic and providing slanted facts to portray a hot topic one way falls far below journalism. 

Completely irresponsible but that’s what happens when you put Oprah’s bff on television and ask her to portray a journalist.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Completely irresponsible but that’s what happens when you put Oprah’s bff on television and ask her to portray a journalist.

First, the CBS producers who posted the clip of that line of questioning should have known better.  It was a small line of questioning, part of a much larger interview about Bryant and his life, and without context reduced an otherwise-good interview to a single moment.  Bryant was accused of sexual assault, and in this Me Too era, a neutral look-back on his life would be incomplete without at least an acknowledgement.  In the scope of the entire interview, that's all it was.  But CBS chose to go for click bate, and it blew up in their face.

Second, I expect you'd know better than to post something so dismissive.  Gayle worked as a reporter and anchor at WUSA, WJZ, WDAF, and WFSB, long before joining CBS.  She's qualified.

Edited by mountainave
  • Thanks 4

I decided to watch the entire interview and I came to the conclusion that Gayle didn't do anything absolutely wrong. Yes, she did not have to ask Ms. Leslie about Kobe's rape allegations so soon after his passing. But she was well within her right to ask anyway, and the angle she went with the question was very fair.

I think everyone whom knocked King (also well within their right to come to their own conclusions about the questions she asked, correct context or no) went supremely overboard after that clip of the interview hit social media. Some, according to Oprah, are now launching death threats against her. She does not deserve this, and those who lauched those threats instead of taking time to actually watch the interview after the fact can shove them up theirs.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Why didn't Gayle (and everyone in the Media) question Bill Cosby In 2012 and 2013 and before and bring up prior accusations against him?

Except some did years earlier. Gayle just wasn't one of them.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Why wasn't anyone talking about that until it resurfaced in 2014 (and 50 more women came forward to accuse him) and then acted shocked like they had just heard it for the first time?  

It is not easy to report a rape or throw an accusation when the law will somehow take the rapists side and not the victim's, and (if/when news gets out) the public will mostly accuse the victim of everything under the sun, especially wanting the man's money. And if you were victimized by a famous male luminary, don't expect the process to be any more easier-- even if the victims themself is also famous. That is just a few reasons many women - let alone the women accusing Cosby for many years - don't report right away.

And another thing, I'm tired of people saying stuff like this about some famous black men being accused of sex crimes when some famous white men do the same. If famous black men (and pretty much all men in general) don't do and/or get accused of sex crimes in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And those more than probably wouldn't have asked those men anyway as you for certain wouldn't have gotten the chance anyway.

9 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Gayle has had DECADES of experience in the media before even starting CBS This Morning - she started at WJZ in the late 70s. You not knowing this very easy fact is really distressing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

I decided to watch the entire interview and I came to the conclusion that Gayle didn't do anything absolutely wrong. Yes, she did not have to ask Ms. Leslie about Kobe's rape allegations so soon after his passing. But she was well within her right to ask anyway, and the angle she went with the question was very fair.

I think everyone whom knocked King (also well within their right to come to their own conclusions about the questions she asked, correct context or no) went supremely overboard after that clip of the interview hit social media. Some, according to Oprah, are now launching death threats against her. She does not deserve this, and those who lauched those threats instead of taking time to actually watch the interview after the fact can shove them up theirs.

It is not easy to report a rape or throw an accusation when the law will somehow take the rapists side and not the victim's, and (if/when news gets out) the public will mostly accuse the victim of everything under the sun, especially wanting the man's money. And if you were victimized by a famous male luminary, don't expect the process to be any more easier-- even if the victims themself is also famous. That is just a few reasons many women - let alone the women accusing Cosby for many years - don't report right away.

And another thing, I'm tired of people saying stuff like this about some famous black men being accused of sex crimes when some famous white men do the same. If famous black men (and pretty much all men in general) don't do and/or get accused of sex crimes in the first place, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And those more than probably wouldn't have asked those men anyway as you for certain wouldn't have gotten the chance anyway.

Gayle has had DECADES of experience in the media before even starting CBS This Morning - she started at WJZ in the late 70s. You not knowing this very easy fact is really distressing. 

That  was not my question or what I am talking about.  i understand why the women didn't report it for many years. 

My questions is why did People particularly in the Meeia not keep mentioning Cosby seuxal assult and rape accusaitons prior to 2015? It was pretty much swept under the rug in 2006 after he settled with 11 women. No one seems to care and  most forgot about it or just acted like they amnesia.  When he got  awards during those years or did interviews I don't recall people bringing those charges  'up? or calling him a rapist.  

Social Media probably played a big part but suddenly in 2014 everyone cared?  I remember when he was  accused back in 2005.. 

2 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re completely in the wrong. Once an interviewer asks a question and a response is given, how is it journalism to say “well you wouldn’t know him in those situations, would you?” Give me a break. I respect journalists as much as any other person, but I’m also not so dense to understand a journalist pushing an agenda with their questioning. The interview that was not even about Kobe Bryant turned into an attempt to bait his friend into wavering on her view of his legacy. When Leslie gave her answer, what reason does Gayle have to challenge that and suggest that Leslie wouldn’t have known the real him? If you want to call that journalism, then at least deem it tabloid journalism. 

Is it fair or journalistic to present a question with the entire context of the situation? Including the changing stories, contradicting claims by the accuser, lack of physical evidence, etc.

My opinion, there are instances where people are falsely accused. It’s egregious to assume that all men are guilty and all victims are truthful. I don’t think that it’s hard for women or others victims to share what happened to them in today’s society. Stop being so naive.

Oprah Winfrey herself has a history as a journalist. For the better part of 3 decades, she has been a talk show host with little journalistic value. The absolute same goes for Gayle.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Once an interviewer asks a question and a response is given, how is it journalism to say “well you wouldn’t know him in those situations, would you?” Give me a break. I respect journalists as much as any other person, but I’m also not so dense to understand a journalist pushing an agenda with their questioning. The interview that was not even about Kobe Bryant turned into an attempt to bait his friend into wavering on her view of his legacy. When Leslie gave her answer, what reason does Gayle have to challenge that and suggest that Leslie wouldn’t have known the real him? If you want to call that journalism, then at least deem it tabloid journalism.

The interview that wasn't even about Kobe Bryant took place after Kobe Bryant's death, and both Leslie and Bryant were close both in the world of basketball - as they both played in Los Angeles under their respective franchises - and out. That's the angle King went to start with. There's nothing tabloid about it. Even the most respected professional anchor/reporter would've asked or at least alluded to Bryant in an interview with anyone who personally knew him after the fact. Personally, I wouldn't do it so close after his passing but still. And I can't ask why myself because I didn't produce or conduct the interview. Maybe you're right; I should call it tabloid. But I won't, because I didn't see it that way. But what do I know?

Is it fair or journalistic to present a question with the entire context of the situation? Including the changing stories, contradicting claims by the accuser, lack of physical evidence, etc.

You know what? You got me there. If you watch a full interview with the correct context, and still realize the same conclusion, I fully understand that. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Plus, whether or not all those scenarios you mentioned were applied, those rape allegations would've still haunted Kobe for the rest of his life (and I say this as a fan of his). Nobody would look down on the accuser more than Kobe (although they deserve to for her lying).

But again, what do I know?

My opinion, there are instances where people are falsely accused. It’s egregious to assume that all men are guilty and all victims are truthful. I don’t think that it’s hard for women or others victims to share what happened to them in today’s society. Stop being so naive.

I'm fully aware that Kobe's accuser later fabricated her story. And I'm also fully aware of many times where accusers of sex crimes later took it back I wanted to mention those but I held back.

But your insinuation of my rant of famous men not committing sex crimes to not be accused of them later on as "all men being automatically guilty and all women automatically being truthful" makes me want to punch a wall stud. Yes, women shouldn't lie about being raped or assaulted. But you know what I meant by what I said; and then again, some men shouldn't lie about some (or in some fools' cases, all) women being sexual deviants or incapable of doing what men can do or doing much better. How you could turn this into a ragefest to is so infuriating yet so humourous.

But what do I know? I'm naive.

Seriously, pick a finger.

Oprah Winfrey herself has a history as a journalist. For the better part of 3 decades, she has been a talk show host with little journalistic value. The absolute same goes for Gayle.

I'm aware of this - I've watched her talk show. But Oprah also started in local news. Just like Gayle. Yeah, it seems they're better at talk shows than news, but how do you think they got there in the first place?

(Also both local news and talk shows aren't that different from one other in some ways. One informs, the other entertains. Sometimes, they do both. Ever get that?)

I want journalism to be as fair and balanced as the next person and yes, tabloid is at the bottom of the ladder, but at the end of the day, the interview happened, is done and gone and we all came up to with our interpretations. I said what I said and you said what you said. And that's cool. Here's what isn't. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re completely in the wrong.

...aka "I know you are, what am I?".

You feeling what you felt about your original post, that's fine.

But saying I'm wrong when I'm just stating my opinion and insulting my intelligence for the simple mistake you made is just damn sad.

I actually expected more from you.

Edited by Action Newsroom

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 4:50 PM, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Gayle is getting a lot of backlash. for this   https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/02/05/kobe-bryant-gayle-king-sparks-outrage-questions-rape-charge/4672566002/ 

My question is...

Why didn't Gayle  (and everyone in the Media) question Bill Cosby In 2012 and 2013 and before and bring up prior accusations against him? Cosby allegations of rape and sexual assault had been well known and documented for many years before it exploded in 2014. Remember he settled a civil lawsuit with 11 women in 2006. There was also the women who accuse him of sexual assault in 2000. Why wasn't anyone talking about that until it resurfaced in 2014 (and 50 more women came forward to accuse him) and then acted shocked like they had just heard it for the first time?  

My rule of life.. Don't speak ill will about the dead.  Although Gayle has received so much flak about the interview. Overall, she apologized and realized there were mistakes associated with this interview. CBS wanted those particular clips thinking it would garner ratings but instead ignited a heated conversation with regards to the rape allegations and such. It's very disappointing that Lisa Leslie was put in a uncomfortable position to question her friendship with Kobe thus them playing in respective LA franchises within the NBA & WNBA organizations.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

The interview that wasn't even about Kobe Bryant took place after Kobe Bryant's death, and both Leslie and Bryant were close both in the world of basketball - as they both played in Los Angeles under their respective franchises - and out. That's the angle King went to start with. There's nothing tabloid about it. Even the most respected professional anchor/reporter would've asked or at least alluded to Bryant in an interview with anyone who personally knew him after the fact. Personally, I wouldn't do it so close after his passing but still. And I can't ask why myself because I didn't produce or conduct the interview. Maybe you're right; I should call it tabloid. But I won't, because I didn't see it that way. But what do I know?

You know what? You got me there. If you watch a full interview with the correct context, and still realize the same conclusion, I fully understand that. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Plus, whether or not all those scenarios you mentioned were applied, those rape allegations would've still haunted Kobe for the rest of his life (and I say this as a fan of his). Nobody would look down on the accuser more than Kobe (although they deserve to for her lying).

But again, what do I know?

I'm fully aware that Kobe's accuser later fabricated her story. And I'm also fully aware of many times where accusers of sex crimes later took it back I wanted to mention those but I held back.

But your insinuation of my rant of famous men not committing sex crimes to not be accused of them later on as "all men being automatically guilty and all women automatically being truthful" makes me want to punch a wall stud. Yes, women shouldn't lie about being raped or assaulted. But you know what I meant by what I said; and then again, some men shouldn't lie about some (or in some fools' cases, all) women being sexual deviants or incapable of doing what men can do or doing much better. How you could turn this into a ragefest to is so infuriating yet so humourous.

But what do I know? I'm naive.

Seriously, pick a finger.

I'm aware of this - I've watched her talk show. But Oprah also started in local news. Just like Gayle. Yeah, it seems they're better at talk shows than news, but how do you think they got there in the first place?

(Also both local news and talk shows aren't that different from one other in some ways. One informs, the other entertains. Sometimes, they do both. Ever get that?)

I want journalism to be as fair and balanced as the next person and yes, tabloid is at the bottom of the ladder, but at the end of the day, the interview happened, is done and gone and we all came up to with our interpretations. I said what I said and you said what you said. And that's cool. Here's what isn't. 

...aka "I know you are, what am I?".

You feeling what you felt about your original post, that's fine.

But saying I'm wrong when I'm just stating my opinion and insulting my intelligence for the simple mistake you made is just damn sad.

I actually expected more from you.

Bottom line, I don’t think it’s appropriate, fair nor tactful for Gayle to have presented the question without providing the full context. Additionally, once an answer was given there is really no need to insinuate that she didn’t know the real him or that his behavior would be different depending on the gathering. At that point, she’s pushing an agenda to get the response she wants. When Charlie Rose (with a pattern of accusations) was accused, Gayle mentioned that the accusations were not the man she knew but somehow that answer from others isn’t enough for Gayle. She has been around for a long time and knows how American media thrives on controversial hot topics, her blaming CBS is a complete cop out for a question that she asked, and the insinuations she made after the answer.

Taking my emotions out of it (I am admittedly really struggling with Kobe’s death), I didn’t necessarily mean to channel my frustration at you. Apologies.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm about a month late but...in regards to the Gayle/Kobe situation.

The cancel Gayle, revoke her black card, social media push is extreme and an overaction. This situation displays how rapidly  the court of public opinion flips these days. Everyone loved Gayle after the R Kelly interview but were quick to cancel her after the Lisa Leslie interview. It was also irresponsible of CBS to selectively post that part of the interview online with a clickbait headline given the rush to judgement nature of social media.

However the backlash isn't unwarranted. Gayle basically interviewed Lisa because she was Kobe's friend, then invalidated Lisa's responce about 'not seeing that side of him' because she was Kobe's friend. So why ask her?

Gayle's questions weren't outrageous, the issue is a matter of time, place, and person.  If this was an ESPN round table talk on Kobe's life, that's one thing to bring up the charges, but asking his good friend about it merely 2 or so weeks after his death was insensitive.

She and Norah are good at their jobs but you can see their bias coming out on many occasions. It showed when Gayle kept attempting to invalidate Lisa's answers on Kobe's allegations.

Furthermore, Jada Pinkett Smith framing Snoop Dogg's (unnecessarily vulgar) comments as an attack on all black women when they were very clearly aimed at Gayle, was an overreach.

Edited by iron_lion

And the last time CBS This Morning used the Ed Sullivan Theater was in 1995 while David Letterman took his "Late Show" to London for a week; my friend Craig was in New York that very same time and he brought back with me some pics including a couple with Harry Smith and Paula Zahn (Mark McEwen was in London).

Dave and his gang returned to the States to learn that Connie Chung got the boot at CBS.

Edited by johnnya2k6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Project Veritas is at it again - this time accusing CBS of staging the length of the line of a drive-in COVID testing site at a Michigan hospital featured in a segment on CTM. CBS denies the Veritas accusations, but removed a portion of the CTM segement.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/coronavirus-cbs-news-project-veritas-1202927556/

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings