CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

While I agree what we saw in the preview is at least tacky flawed and underwhelming (I do like the solid yellow Eye), I'm willing to wager there is more to it officially that isn't any of the three (at least I hope so). And I believe CTM won't stray from what made them unique and praised in the first place. We shall see.

Edited by Action Newsroom

Yeah, the promotions department is always playing around, trying stuff, with no great effect on the broadcast. Just because there's been an injection of humor, personality, and playfulness, doesn't mean they're abandoning the hard news M.O.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's trying to look like a GMA promo from a couple years ago, but not executed as well. Jazzy music, shots of the anchors, but not hardly as slick, and that's its biggest flaw, in my eyes.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

CBS This Morning is pushing the "CTM" branding. (Not sure it'll ever be quite as recognized as "GMA.")

Some of the graphics seem OK but I'm not liking the new lower-thirds...  They look like something I'd have created myself ten years ago.  Feels like a giant step back in terms of design.

Same music. Eye Opener is still there. Despite the very light promos, the format seems to be the same, at least judging from the first few minutes.

Screenshot (56882).png

Screenshot (56884).png

Screenshot (56886).png

Screenshot (56888).png

Screenshot (56915).png

Screenshot (56917).png

Screenshot (56919).png

Screenshot (56920).png

Screenshot (56924).png

Screenshot (56936).png

Screenshot (56941).png

Screenshot (56943).png

Screenshot (56951).png

Screenshot (56966).png

• Like 2

One thing I thought was neat were the logos in I think the news to watch segment. Surprisingly the big O&Os weren’t featured prominently in the “pupil” of the eye - but smaller stations like KOVR and WJZ. However it appeared all the owned stations were represented along with some smaller affiliates it appeared.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

One thing I thought was neat were the logos in I think the news to watch segment. Surprisingly the big O&Os weren’t featured prominently in the “pupil” of the eye - but smaller stations like KOVR and WJZ. However it appeared all the owned stations were represented along with some smaller affiliates it appeared.

338072973_CBSThisMorning-07_49_02AM.jpg.1b6f342125724b49c09efcdd2f6b901e.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Is this supposed to be a complete relaunch of the show? The anchors keep referring to it as the launch of CTM and Gayle has said many times welcome to our new show - CTM. That’s really not typical for an anchor change.

Yes, it's definitely more than just an anchor change.  They are considering it a relaunch of the show.

Also noticed that the three anchors, who used to sit triangularly across from each other, are now all sitting together in front of a monitor.  Much closer to GMA/Today.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1

First impressions are that I like the look more than I thought I would! Love the large eye with text just before the eye opener (looks a lot like GMA). Not sure on the supers though. My local affiliate doesn't use the ticker. But the new supers have a line and then room for a ticker with the background still there so it just looks like wasted space.

2083710210_ScreenShot2019-05-20at10_18_12AM.thumb.png.d3d84178c3d949a064a1dc74477dc85e.png

• Like 1

Took me a while to notice but they sort of did a 180. They used to have the green room visible behind the main shot of the anchors but now they've spun around and use the side with the windows overlooking beautiful West 57th Street.

Also, I don't believe they used the control room look on the one set of screens this morning. (Before today and dating back to CBS This Morning's debut, the control room-style of monitors was the default, but was sometimes replaced with other graphics and video.)

(Screenshots below are from just after the Eye Opener last Thursday and this morning.)

Screenshot (57461).png

Screenshot (56933).png

Edited by Geoffrey
Updated to include screenshots
  • Like 1

-I  really like the L3s, but dislike the font. I also like the bug animation to change between the name and the abbreviation.

- The desk still looks great, but I miss the extensions.

-The simpler Eye graphic on the screens are great.

-The teaser is a mixed bag, but I really like the L3 of it.

Overall, I'll get used to parts of it, but I very much like (if not love) the new look of CTM.

3 hours ago, newseider said:

First impressions are that I like the look more than I thought I would! Love the large eye with text just before the eye opener (looks a lot like GMA). Not sure on the supers though. My local affiliate doesn't use the ticker. But the new supers have a line and then room for a ticker with the background still there so it just looks like wasted space.

2083710210_ScreenShot2019-05-20at10_18_12AM.thumb.png.d3d84178c3d949a064a1dc74477dc85e.png

At the very least, the bug should be bumped up so it's even with the rest of the L3.

18 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

The one under KIRO is likely KMOV but who knows. they did a fantastic job representing the affiliates.

Really @Darius22? They used a station twice (WIVB  Top portion of the eye), forgot many major affiliates and O&Os, They did a terrible job on this graphic. This was clearly rushed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Really @Darius22? They used a station twice (WIVB  Top portion of the eye), forgot many major affiliates and O&Os, They did a terrible job on this graphic. This was clearly rushed. 

I think they did that to show people they are focusing on news from everywhere - not just the major cities. 

• Like 4

I really dislike the mix of typefaces they're using. Stick with one family, or at least use fonts that complement each other. They're using Avenir for the titles but Franklin Heavy for the L3's with italics and condensed and it's all over the place. Either stick with Avenir or go completely to Franklin. IMO during the intros when they use Franklin Heavy italic and it looks too much like a "fake TV show newscast" like Murphy Brown. The graphics seem to be a mishmash. They are using an angled shadow under the CBS Eye/CBS This Morning bug on the left but the rest of the L3s don't follow that angular approach. It's not a great presentation. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

I really dislike the mix of typefaces they're using. Stick with one family, or at least use fonts that complement each other.

Agreed. I said it in my post:

-I  really like the L3s, but dislike the font.

-The teaser is a mixed bag, but I really like the L3 of it.

...and it still stands.

The Avenir type used in the last several packages worked because its light lettering and shaping complemented the the L3 very well, and it was consistently utilized. This type mix makes this one look somewhat sloppy. If Avenir stayed for this this package, I would've liked it much more -- or even loved it.

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings