CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

I miss how Today was up until Meredith left....CBS This Morning is almost the closest thing to that now, the more intelligent of the morning shows but it still pales in comparison to old Today

Yes, Fox stations are excessive with local morning news from 4:30-10am, or even KTLA 4am-12pm....local news is becoming saturated, GMA and Today should stay but CBS given their history might have to keep their options open in the AM

Scott Pelley is a decent journalist but he was a bit stiff/bland for the evening news....the broadcast hasn't been itself since Dan Rather cooked his own goose or even when Bob Schiffer left

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

(insert WWL adding the show to their station finally comment here)

It's too bad the affiliates can't protest like they did in the 90s and 2000s and take back most of the 7am hour. 

I had so much hope for CBS in the morning, but with this latest chapter, it's the end of The Early Show all over again, and virtually any CBS morning show incarnation that's preceded it.

The last thing we need is another clone of GMA and Today...something that CBS has failed at many times before.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

GMA within itself became a clone of today when it moved to Times SQ in 1999, and now Today is getting beat in the ratings by it's once lesser duplicate

GMA was created as a lifestyle and entertainment alternative to Today’s news and investigative format. GMA has gone way too the left of their original concept but they’ve always been the less-newsy format including the multi-personality lineups that each show sports today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

GMA was created as a lifestyle and entertainment alternative to Today’s news and investigative format. GMA has gone way too the left of their original concept but they’ve always been the less-newsy format including the multi-personality lineups that each show sports today.

IIRC, ABC started GMA from their entertainment division and moved it to their news division at some point in the 90s.  Was it when Shelley Ross overhauled the show in 1999 after the failure of Kevin Newman & Lisa McRee (replacing Joan Lunden & Charles Gibson)....Charlie being brought back to anchor with Diane Sawyer....

GMA was largely based on WEWS's The Morning Exchange....ah a time when networks listened to their affiliates and used their expertise to create programming...

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Was it when Shelley Ross overhauled the show in 1999 after the failure of Kevin Newman & Lisa McRee (replacing Joan Lunden & Charles Gibson)...

Charlie and Joan were still the anchors, when the news division took over.

• Like 1

CBS owns a station (KOVR) that airs primetime an hour early (technically they air the Central feed on an hour delay.) I'm sure that helps the argument of stations that want to use different time zone feeds.

18 minutes ago, Weeters said:

CBS owns a station (KOVR) that airs primetime an hour early (technically they air the Central feed on an hour delay.) I'm sure that helps the argument of stations that want to use different time zone feeds.

Don’t you mean the Mountain feed on an hour delay? The Eastern/Central feed would be on a two hour delay.

21 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Don’t you mean the Mountain feed on an hour delay? The Eastern/Central feed would be on a two hour delay.

My mistake on the timing, but they delay the Central feed. Station employees have told me of the complexity they have in covering over the East/Central-specific spots and promos that air. In essence, they are producing their own west-coast feed an hour early.

My guess is this is a holdover from when the "tape delay" was actually tape. It gives them more room to recover from errors, and they could always tape the Mountain feed if something happened to the Central recording. Start recording primetime at 5PM, an hour out you need to switch tapes, rewind first tape, put it on standby, at 7PM start airing the first tape, standby second tape, roll on third tape... and so on!

The fact this survived the recent Master Control hubbing is further evidence that CBS doesn't care that much. I'm sure it made the hub setup more difficult than it needed to be.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, iron_lion said:

I don't see Norah lasting long in the evenings...she can come off as snotty and biased at times...

I've felt that from Norah multiple times on-air, especially when she jabs John or clashes with Gayle. She does get very passioned about particular segments at times too.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:09 PM, KRAP-TV said:

I really like both Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil - individually. I have high hopes for the new team, if the rumors are true.

I enjoy both of them when they come on, they certainly bring something different to the table. Anthony has personality and experience while Tony seems to be a rising star at the news organization as a correspondent. Both tell good stories and both seem to work well with Gayle, this might actually be a good mix. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t be shocked if after 2-3 years Gail and Anthony are replaced with Kaity Tur from MSNBC if the ratings tank and she and Tony become co-host and CBS attempts to make them a Joe and Mike whom supposedly they considered hiring years ago.

Edited by nydem2015
  • Like 1

Just because the preview of the new graphics may look tacky does not mean that the content and/or format of the show will change. I'm going to college for graphic design and I've seen things designed worse than these graphics for CTM (and that's really saying something).

• Like 3

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings