CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

why has CBS had such trouble holding down a morning show? 

Regarding Jeff Glor, he is isn't that bad but lacks the Jennings/Rather/Brokaw spark. Personally since that trio era ended network evening news hasn't been the same.

The best evening host post that era has perhaps been Brian Williams who unfortunately messed up his career.

Likewise, since Dan Rather messed up and got axed the CBS Evening News hasn't been the same. '

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/17/2019 at 2:31 PM, iron_lion said:

The best evening host post that era has perhaps been Brian Williams who unfortunately messed up his career.

Likewise, since Dan Rather messed up and got axed the CBS Evening News hasn't been the same. '

Both men were caught lying about stories...

Good Riddance!

Edited by Eat News
BLACKPINK - As If It's Your Last - Live at Coachella 2019 Friday April 19, 2019 .. https://youtu.be/Nc5LdAVyceI

On 4/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, iron_lion said:

why has CBS had such trouble holding down a morning show? 

Regarding Jeff Glor, he is isn't that bad but lacks the Jennings/Rather/Brokaw spark. Personally since that trio era ended network evening news hasn't been the same.

Charles Gibson was solid and second only to Peter Jennings. 

• Like 2

Page Six, so remember to take it with a grain. 

They're reporting that Gayle is staying (salary raise and all), and with a new anchor lineup. (Anthony Mason moving to weekdays, and correspondent Tony Dokoupil joining them). Dickerson will move to 60M, while Gayle demanded Norah O’s exit as part of the negotiations. 

What’s that mean for Norah O? It could be her dreams of manning the Evening News could come to fruition. “Monster anchor” job, they say. 

We’ll know more on May 14th. 

If this comes to fruition, will the show change to a more Today like format with more pop culture segments and possibly live performances? It would be a-shame if they removed what makes the show unique and go back to trying to complete head on with Today and GMA. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikePulse said:

They're reporting that Gayle is staying (salary raise and all), and with a new anchor lineup. (Anthony Mason moving to weekdays, and correspondent Tony Dokoupil joining them).

Wow. Since Charlie Rose's November 2017 firing, this might be it's fourth anchor change-up CTM has had. And since it's 2012 debut, the fifth. Damn, this show can't hold on to a stable lineup without something throwing a wrench.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

If they move Norah to the evenings then she’ll simply be moved once again in another 2 years or less. If  Katie acoustic, Scott Kelly and Jeff Glor weren’t the answers I don’t see how Norah presumed to be.

• Like 4

Geez, could the interactions between King and O'Donnell on-air get more awkward than it already has been? I've personally felt like there has been subtle clashes happening for some time now between them two and between O'Donnell and Dickerson. With this now out, I'm thinking this could be popcorn viewing and will be entertaining to see what other subtle on-air jabs they will have for each other before the host changes happen, I'm thinking they'll have to act a little more fake between each other til then, it's going to be Ripa and Strahan 2016 all over again. 

I hope they don't go all pop-news in the future, that would be a major turn-off for me.

The article seems to be on the same page as the Daily Mail article from a few weeks back that read that O'Donnell is difficult to work with and that the folks behind CBS Evening News rather work with Glor.

I feel bad for Glor, nothing was really wrong with him, it's just the show should have gotten a more extensive retool if it were to compete with ABC and NBC. The show pretty much stayed on the same stream that the Pelly edition was on. Not sure if O'Donnell will draw people in at the helm. I guess this is a wait-and-see situation. 

• Like 3

I  am rather sick of CBS playing games with the lineups.

That said, 60 Minutes gaining Dickerson will be great to help with what has been an up and down lineup recently. If they do put O'Donnell in Glor's place, hopefully Glor could join them. 

As for the pop-news, I agree with you. GMA has gotten way too festivally for me and hard to watch. The adding of Strahan didn't help my opinion of that. 

• Like 4

As for the rumor that CTM would be more pop-ier, I hope it's false. I looked forward to and watched CTM from the beginning because it wasn't like GMA and Today. I wanted news in the morning and the fluff in the evening, and CTM was (and still is) perfect for that purpose.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:45 PM, Roadgeek Adam said:

That said, 60 Minutes gaining Dickerson will be great to help

On 5/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, nickp said:

I love Dickerson going to 60 Minutes 

Agreed.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Geez, could the interactions between King and O'Donnell on-air get more awkward than it already has been? I've personally felt like there has been subtle clashes happening for some time now between them two and between O'Donnell and Dickerson. With this now out, I'm thinking this could be popcorn viewing and will be entertaining to see what other subtle on-air jabs they will have for each other before the host changes happen, I'm thinking they'll have to act a little more fake between each other til then, it's going to be Ripa and Strahan 2016 all over again. 

Are there specific instances (or, better yet, clips) in which this has happened, or are you making more of a general observation?

• Like 2

Just my personal observations on their dialogue between each other based on their diction and tone about the particular segments/packages they comment about at the roundtable, even sometimes during interviews when the anchors try to drive clashing moods or narratives and a hint of bickering goes on. It's not quite obvious, but you get a sense that there's more to what's happening off-air.  I don't take notes of these particular occurrences nor do I care to elaborate, just watch and see I'd say for yourself.

Page Six has been good with their CBS scoops lately so I think this is likely. My guess is that they have one source, though, and that source really doesn't like Norah for whatever reason. (Perhaps Norah IS bad. Perhaps the source is jealous of her success.) 

Also, how is Gayle pushing Norah out if CBS was already trying to get Norah to replace Jeff?

This is a lot of changes, though. Kind of daring. But it's probably necessary. I do feel bad for Jeff... One day you're getting a big promotion and becoming the face of the network, the next you're being blamed for not being able to fix decades of struggles. But he was not the right pick. (I wish they'd bring Scott Pelley back... He might have been awkward but his writing was good and he had the trust.)

I didn't think John Dickerson was good for mornings... Too bad he can't go back to Face The Nation.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

This is a lot of changes, though. Kind of daring. But it's probably necessary. I do feel bad for Jeff... One day you're getting a big promotion and becoming the face of the network, the next you're being blamed for not being able to fix decades of struggles. But he was not the right pick. (I wish they'd bring Scott Pelley back... He might have been awkward but his writing was good and he had the trust.)

I absolutely loved Scott Pelley on CBS Evening News. I thought he was a good face of the news network. I think he had the right demeanor you had to have for a job like his. I mean, he's not Jennings/Brokaw/Rather/Trout, etc, but he is a damn good reporter and newsman. 60 Minutes fits him well and so did the CBSEN 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

As for the pop-news, I agree with you. GMA has gotten way too festivally for me and hard to watch. The adding of Strahan didn't help my opinion of that. 

I was at the doctor's with my dad this morning and I caught the last 10 minutes or so of GMA.  Wow, not the way I remember it being.

Edited by TriangleTriadMediaNews
didn't mean to say "this morning" twice.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

I was at the doctor's with my dad this morning and I caught the last 10 minutes or so of GMA.  Wow, not the way I remember it being.

The show has become embarrassingly bad and they’re no longer even trying to fake that any aspect of the program is newsy.

What I find so aggravating is that these shows are wondering how to stop the bleeding and return to the viewership of their old days. They’ve tried everything but returning to the appropriate mix of news, lifestyle and entertainment that made them what they were.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I don't see Norah lasting long in the evenings...she can come off as snotty and biased at times...the evening news requires a "voice of God" personality like Jennings/Brokaw/Huntley etc...

The morning shows are really searching high and low as to how to get a better audience.....

GMA needs to lessen on the pop culture non sense and return to the Gibson/ London era format.

Today needs to simply go back to what they were doing when they were no.1: hard news, intellectual discussion/ guests, and return to 2 hours instead of 4 hours.

CBS....if having a national morning show hasn't been working for 50+ years now, just go the Fox/CW route and give the affiliates the airtime for a 5-9am local morning show at this point.

• Thanks 2

It wouldn't be out of line to send all of them packing. (GMA, CBSTM and Today.)

We have so much local news, especially in the bigger cities. They cover national news. Local news from 4-9 on a local level may not be a terrible thing. 

3 minutes ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

It wouldn't be out of line to send all of them packing. (GMA, CBSTM and Today.)

We have so much local news, especially in the bigger cities. They cover national news. Local news from 4-9 on a local level may not be a terrible thing. 

Not a terrible idea, especially considering the local morning news in NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas and Houston (and I’m sure several others) draw bigger audiences than the national programs. If GMA, Today and CTM weren’t still such massive cash cows then I’m sure this route wouldn’t be so far off.

And local news from 4:30-7 is too much, adding on an additional 2 hours will be overwhelming. They already repeat stories as it is. And the FOX affiliates that go to 9 or 10 already rely on infotainment stories, it’s not like they’re providing additional news stories.

And for those of you who keep talking about how great Pelley was, realize you were in the minority. He did nothing for the ratings.

• Like 3

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings