CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Get ready for these to be locked in three... two...

These all look like very slimmed down versions of the current O&O image. No matter what they go with, they all are in line with how CBS News does graphics — nothing horrible, yet nothing great, nothing that fully matches anything else, and never anything that's more than half a step forward. I hope they go with something that has other cities in it, too, and it looks like most of the cities used are O&O cities.

I see what they're trying to do by not having that awkward three shot at the top, but these make it look even more awkward if they do without it at the very top but still have it before tossing to the Eyeopener.

• Like 1

But, on another note. When looking through the Vimeo page, is it normal to have graphics such as the one below made up for the death of a monarch in another country? Seems odd. [MEDIA=vimeo]197236802[/MEDIA]

The UK's Royal Family is probably more popular in this country than the current (or previous) First Family, so it's not that much of a shock.

Remember how out of their way the networks went to cover the Royal Marriage and the Royal Baby?

• Like 1

But, on another note. When looking through the Vimeo page, is it normal to have graphics such as the one below made up for the death of a monarch in another country? Seems odd. [MEDIA=vimeo]197236802[/MEDIA]

Completely normal - it's done for politicians, celebrities, royals and world leaders. They are also updated regularly. It is expected that they have things for this especially for someone of her age.

• Like 1

For reference, the BBC *rehearses* exactly every six months what to do for rolling coverage if/when the Queen dies from suffocating on a pillow. That includes booting normal programming from their usual studios for a day or two to "rehearse." They have everything sorted out down to what color tie the male anchor should wear.

Getting some graphics templates ready seems pretty tame by comparison, even if it may be in a little poor taste that they didn't omit the death year or put in a year impossibly far off in the future instead. But then again, I'm sure nobody thought that those would ever be seen outside CBS.

• Like 1

For reference, the BBC *rehearses* exactly every six months what to do for rolling coverage if/when the Queen dies from suffocating on a pillow. That includes booting normal programming from their usual studios for a day or two to "rehearse." They have everything sorted out down to what color tie the male anchor should wear.

Getting some graphics templates ready seems pretty tame by comparison, even if it may be in a little poor taste that they didn't omit the death year or put in a year impossibly far off in the future instead. But then again, I'm sure nobody thought that those would ever be seen outside CBS.

One scenario was her passing after choking on a fish bone.

And this gem from TVForum:

[MEDIA=imgur]J6jXrqo[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
To bump an old thread, CBS This Morning has updated their graphics this morning as well as updating their open.

Ehh, it's alright. but since I gotten used to the last one so much (and has gotten better to look at [iMO]),

this looks like a downgrade in comparison. In fact it looks like someone's mock had gotten on-air.

This one needs to be perfected--like tightened and refined.

• Like 1

Seems like they changed it just to change it for changes sake and it doesn't always mean progress. I don't like the rectangular boxes in the open and elsewhere in the package - it seems mismatched. One thing I liked was how they handled a pull quote. I forgot the story already but on the left most side of the screen was the full statement (legible but not designed to be read) while the pull quote took up the rest.

Everything has been an evolution of the first package when the show launched. For some reason they are die hard on the slant at the end.

I think the change would look a lot better if they just made it a box and centered it on screen. Or maybe to be unique center it but make the right side's border a semicircle so the translucent CBS eye remains.

CBS This Morning's graphics changes, particularly the lower-thirds, constantly seem to be an evolution rather than a huge change. Interesting how the elements aren't connected... Reminds me of CNN. Now the text is centered.

I'm not a fan of how the angle on the right side of the lower-third, as rkolsen pointed out, seems to be random. It never seems to "go" with the CBS bug at all. (Also, is the bug necessary when it's already in the CBS This Morning logo on the left side?)

I do like how the lower-thirds continue to treat names/titles differently than the rest of the text they display, with the colors from the top and bottom elements swapping for people. I also like how they continue to have a different color scheme for politics (and, presumably, breaking news).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow. Is this legal?

I don't know but the set looks like a smaller version. The CBS set is a Jack Morton job and probably has exclusivity in the US and Canada. I doubt they do work in the Caucasus region so it's a pretty good rip off. But let's be real would CBS spend the time and money suing a small station for ripping off their look?

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings