CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

On 9/9/2021 at 10:11 AM, hfiles said:

That was all I could think of when they said that on CBS Mornings. I can't wait for Gayle King's Top 10 Lists to debut.

Top Ten things we copied from our competitors...

10) Giant video walls

9) location, baby!

8- Giving former Co-Anchors the "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" treatment

7) A newfound appreciation for Smooth Jazz

6) Outdated references to bits from retired CBS programs

5) That DJ we found leftover from the TRL days at Viacom

4) Paint everything orange- that got the Today Show 5 points, right?

3) Hey look! We got an couch from IKEA too!

2) Retired NFL players make great anchors!

1) Sure Willard wore a dress, but we gave Tony a fun hat!

All possible sarcasm in the jokes is implied.

Edited by GodfreyGR
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

On 9/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, GodfreyGR said:

Top Ten things we copied from our competitors...

10) Giant video walls

9) location, baby!

8- Giving former Co-Anchors the "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" treatment

7) A newfound appreciation for Smooth Jazz

6) Outdated references to bits from retired CBS programs

5) That DJ we founds leftover from the TRL days at Viacom

4) Paint everything orange- that got the Today Show 5 points, right?

3) Hey look! We got an couch from IKEA too!

2) Retired NFL players make great anchors!

1) Sure Willard wore a dress, but we gave Tony a fun hat!

3 hours ago, AA55 said:

Are you all watching the same show that I am? The reporting is in depth and layered and smart. They have great chemistry and the set is stunning. 

s4eamxv.jpg.41da0f5d4d54e968f1cce0773102f2e6.jpg

I mean, it's very clear that the stylistic moves are to emulate their higher-rated competitors, which deserves a little ribbing, but it generally still is the better program.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, AA55 said:

Are you all watching the same show that I am? The reporting is in depth and layered and smart. They have great chemistry and the set is stunning. 

No offense to you but I really wish people would come off of this “smart” stuff especially when using it to ridicule the other shows. The first hour of each network morning show is full of news and investigative reporting, yes it descends into crap at 8 a.m. but CBS second hour isn’t exactly what it’s first hour is either. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

No offense to you but I really wish people would come off of this “smart” stuff especially when using it to ridicule the other shows. The first hour of each network morning show is full of news and investigative reporting, yes it descends into crap at 8 a.m. but CBS second hour isn’t exactly what it’s first hour is either. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

And it’s been this way for at least 20 years so it’s honestly nothing new.

Show sucks now. Used to watch the hard news CBS This Morning when it relaunched in 2012 and kept watching through to 2016ish. When they started making unnecessary changes to the show, including format, anchors, music and graphics even, things started to go downhill. I wanted to give this latest incarnation a chance, I really did, but this show is total crap. Gayle is more aggravating every day and Nate doesn’t look comfortable (none of them do). The random bits and silliness really take away from their mission. And I imagine viewers are tuning out in droves too. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, MorningNews said:

The first 30 mins of each morning show has decent news quality content.

However, CBS Morning’s 8am lifestyle hour is still superior to the Disney sing-a-longs, half decent pop music performances, and deals and steals on GMA … and the laugh, cry, “authentic moments” on Today. (To it’s credit the 8am hour of Today is still more watchable than GMA). GMA & Today feel significantly dumbed down from their former selves.

CBS Monings might have a few flaws (attempts to mimic the competition, and Gayle’s constant opinionated side remarks) but it’s still the more intelligent of the three shows.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want to belabor the point further but just what does intelligent mean in morning TV? I certainly don’t feel any smarter having watched CBS over any other program lol. They hosts singers, actors, chefs, social media stars too - just without the flashiness. I’ve seen a viral video or two be shared on the show for a “cute” moment. Lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I don’t want to belabor the point further but just what does intelligent mean in morning TV? I certainly don’t feel any smarter having watched CBS over any other program lol. They hosts singers, actors, chefs, social media stars too - just without the flashiness. I’ve seen a viral video or two be shared on the show for a “cute” moment. Lipstick on a pig if you ask me.

I guess intelligent morning tv would be like the Bryant Gumbell/Jane Pauley years on Today as the best example. Extended interviews, news magazine type feature pieces and conversations with people like military generals, foreign policy experts, and introspective authors.

Dumbed down would be modern GMA. Stories on some former Power Ranger actor caught up in a murder mystery or secret recordings of dentists’ snarky side comments while the patients were under anesthesia (ACTUAL stories that they have done). 

CBS Mornings on the other hand would be focusing on millennial home buyer-ship rates, climate change’s threats to Florida’s oyster population, and pandemic exoduses from cities to the rural areas (actual stories they’ve done).

They borrow some bits from the competition but the positives outweigh that for me.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I guess intelligent morning tv would be like the Bryant Gumbell/Jane Pauley years on Today as the best example. Extended interviews, news magazine type feature pieces and conversations with people like military generals, foreign policy experts, and introspective authors.

Dumbed down would be modern GMA. Stories on some former Power Ranger actor caught up in a murder mystery or secret recordings of dentists’ snarky side comments while the patients were under anesthesia (ACTUAL stories that they have done). 

CBS Mornings on the other hand would be focusing on millennial home buyer-ship rates, climate change’s threats to Florida’s oyster population, and pandemic exoduses from cities to the rural areas (actual stories they’ve done).

They borrow some bits from the competition but the positives outweigh that for me.

Fair enough. My family has watched GMA for as long as I can remember and the quality today is nothing to write home about despite having one of the strongest anchors (George!) at the helm. 

However I have to say comparing anything with Gayle King to the great days of Jane and Bryant is an insult! /s

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Fair enough. My family has watched GMA for as long as I can remember and the quality today is nothing to write home about despite having one of the strongest anchors (George!) at the helm. 

However I have to say comparing anything with Gayle King to the great days of Jane and Bryant is an insult! /s

Great days of Jane and Bryant? Let me go to bed. 😂 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I saw the breaking variant of their L3s this morning at a glance and thought for some reason someone at work had changed the TV to CNN. Imitation is the best form of flattery (though I do prefer the CBS take). Still, you'd think someone from CBS would look at it in ideation in say "let's try to not look exactly like CNN."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

What a total ripoff of CNN's graphics.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

Absolutely pathetic.

Screenshot_20210915-120605_YouTube.thumb.jpg.92f82df60251cd0f5bf9540721b8317d.jpg

I agree. Both the colors and the size of the letters in the graphics are just not pleasing to the eye (the human eye, that is).......

• Like 1

Hopefully everyone on this has calmed. The new name has been slightly if not at all noticed by 

the audience. It's a clean sweep for a move to a new studio. The content of the program has not

changed other than one anchor. A nice update that sits well. The use of the Sunday Morning music

theme integrated for every morning show works. The audience knows this music as it has been used

for over 42 years at CBS. "CBS logo" bug resize and realignment is interesting. Just need to get affiliates 

to time and temp update.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

Anyone have access to Ratings for the last couple weeks? NBC v. CBS v. ABC?

Here’s the averages from last week, which was the first week of the relaunch. Down 9% from the week before, and down 8% from last year. 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/week-of-sept-6-morning-show-ratings-today-repeats-as-most-watched-morning-show-a-rare-feat-outside-of-olympics-weeks/488690/

1B19ECA4-0472-4673-8FFF-CBE31E5EDB0E.png

Edited by froyo49
  • Like 2