CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

I just don’t understand why they keep changing the name of the show. I know it’s for the ratings, etc. but for example, whenever you say the words “GMA” or “Today show” to someone, there’s a likely chance they know what you’re talking about. But for CBS, it’s just gonna make it hard to keep up with people who have no interest in it. Other than the name change, it does look like an exciting, fresh look. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Here's video announcing the reformat,  along with a version of Sunday Morning's theme as its theme and pics of the set -- which I think looks amazing (and yes, there is a rooster sculpture; say what you will). It's all growing on me already.

Nice of them to give a nod to Robin, George and the GMA team who are already in Times Square. 

14 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

Nice of them to give a nod to Robin, George and the GMA team who are already in Times Square. 

Also …. CBS now has a Black woman, a Greek man and Black man who was a former NFL athlete all anchoring a morning show in Times Square.  Sound familiar? 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

13 hours ago, NYTV said:

So what becomes of Studio 57? That set IMO held up pretty well.

13 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

I guess save it for other CBS News programs until it serves no purpose anymore? I agree that it aged great after almost a decade of service. 

What do you think becomes of it? Just curious.

3 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Educated guess: Give it to WCBS...  Revamp it up and have it for set for News at 4.

WCBS already has studio 46 which is in the same building as studio 57.

That or they'll decide to give CBSN its own dedicated set (or tear down the wall and expand the Studio 57 Newsroom).

• Like 1

I feel like the name would be a lot better if they actually did it for every day of the week. You have CBS Sunday Morning and CBS Saturday Morning... have a daily CBS Monday Morning, Tuesday, etc. Something that the other networks don't do, and ties in much better to the existing brand than just CBS Mornings.

9 minutes ago, memnews said:

I feel like the name would be a lot better if they actually did it for every day of the week. You have CBS Sunday Morning and CBS Saturday Morning... have a daily CBS Monday Morning, Tuesday, etc. Something that the other networks don't do, and ties in much better to the existing brand than just CBS Mornings.

That’s what they did in 1979 but it only lasted for two years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, memnews said:

Didn’t they do that in early 80s?  What they should do is rename CBS morning news to cbs early morning news and changing cab this morning to cbs morning news. That why it’s closer to their other broadcasts and still ties into Saturday and Sunday mornings 

• Like 2

Any assumptions that the local CBS affiliates will start to rename its morning newscasts too? You know, some CBS affiliates want to keep "in line" with the network morning block, hence they name their local morning newscast as "This Morning" too (e.g CBS 2 News This Morning (WCBS), WBZ This Morning (WBZ), CBS 3 Eyewitness News This Morning (KYW))... 

Not sure how I'll feel if for example, WCBS's morning news is renamed to "CBS 2 News Mornings"...

Edited by ref1997
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ref1997 said:

Any assumptions that the local CBS affiliates will start to rename its morning newscasts too? You know, some CBS affiliates wants to keep "in line" with the network morning block, hence they name their local morning newscast as "This Morning" too ( CBS 3 Eyewitness News This Morning (KYW))... 

Not sure how I'll feel if for example, WCBS's morning news is renamed to "CBS 2 News Mornings"...

WPVI already has "Mornings" in the title of the morning broadcasts of Action Newsso I guess it's highly unlikely right now in Market 4.

4 hours ago, ref1997 said:

Any assumptions that the local CBS affiliates will start to rename its morning newscasts too? You know, some CBS affiliates wants to keep "in line" with the network morning block, hence they name their local morning newscast as "This Morning" too (e.g CBS 2 News This Morning (WCBS), WBZ This Morning (WBZ), CBS 3 Eyewitness News This Morning (KYW))... 

KDKA renamed their newscast to "Your Day Pittsburgh", but I'm not sure exactly when that happened. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hfiles said:

IMG_0689.thumb.jpeg.41bc51a7c60b201888ec167e730e3378.jpegFirst glimpse of the new ticker. Also, my CBS affiliate is airing the WCBS ticker for some reason.

I actually like that! It is clean and simple. I am betting - especially after seeing that ticker - is the the new L3 will be very similar to the CBS Evening News L3. Other CBS properties have already switched to a similar look. 

If the franchise's past history is any predictor of the future,   in 18-21 months there will be a new CBS News boss, and she or he will blow up "CBS Mornings" and try a new format with new personalities.    I'm just a viewer with no horse in the race.   I wonder if CBS'  morning offering hasn't slid downhill since Bill Kurtis anchored it.

• Like 3

I watched the first block and enjoyed the tone of the program. I really appreciated that the top story focused on the crisis of overwhelmed hospitals (due to COVID surges) through the perspective of a doctor in Texas upset that he is unable to give people the care they need. A nice change of pace for morning news and a good shift away from basic general assignment reporting. 

• Like 2

Personally, I genuinely enjoyed the relaunched program.

- I appreciated that the 7am hour is still dedicated to the important news stories from the previous day (and the report on the COVID-era overcrowded hospital crisis being the top story was a brilliant editor's decision). I enjoyed almost all of day one's segments and the consistent tone in both hours.

- The graphics are alright (didn't love them at first, but I feel they'll grow on me after a while). Love the use of white, black and yellow though. Meanwhile, I love the new set now in action (the smooth warm lighting, balance of cool blues and warm yellows on the walls, and the green room are highlights) and personally, I'm glad the windows are covered -- because I'd rather not see the view across the street of storefronts of Gap, Old Navy, McDonald's among others (and that studio with the ribbon LEDs on the corner). The election set was very well adapted.

- Nate Burleson made for a very good co-host and I think he'll grow into the role real well and sooner rather than later.

I really liked what I saw so far and cannot wait for more. Congrats to the hosts & crew on a successful first broadcast and (hopefully) a consistent & strong product that'll last... quite longer than the average. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

A nice change of pace for morning news and a good shift away from basic general assignment reporting. 

Which is great for Sundays when more people have the time to sit and watch more long-form reporting, but think about the average morning audience- they want news, weather, and want to get on their way. CBS used to at least have that when the Eye Opener was really "your world in 90 Seconds", but that has largely given way to teasers for the days show (example, today Gayle got to light up the new CBS Times Square billboard).

• Like 1

It wasn’t too bad but I’m struggling to understand the differentiating point is for moving to TS, changing the name, adding Nate, etc. Doesn’t seem like anything today made the show necessarily stronger or more attractive than what we just watched Friday. Viewership is likely to reflect that.

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings