CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Wow! Nate seems like a cool guy so he should be a cool addition. Hopefully CTM's move to Times Square doesn't begin a directional change that dumbs down the program.

GMA is already the Times Square morning show so this will be interesting.

Edited by iron_lion

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, cbs2worksforyou said:

Anthony Mason signed off last week. Anyone know when the new guy starts on air and when the new studio debuts? I imagine they’d coordinate it.

I am betting Nate and the new studio will debut on September 7 or 13. It is common to see those changes go into effect when the new season starts (which tends to be the day after Labor Day or the Monday after LD).

However, with all the news going on rn, I wouldn’t totally be surprised to see him debut this week. 

11 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

I am betting Nate and the new studio will debut on September 7 or 13. It is common to see those changes go into effect when the new season starts (which tends to be the day after Labor Day or the Monday after LD).

However, with all the news going on rn, I wouldn’t totally be surprised to see him debut this week. 

It was originally going to be Sept. 13 according to TV Newser.

18 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

According to FTV Live, the show will relaunch next week as “CBS Mornings”. That is according into a source who spoke to FTV about staff on the broadcast being upset with the current EP. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/8/31/it-was-cbs-newss-jeopardy-moment

Oof... Talk about a downgrade on the name. Sure they're still in the ratings basement, lose to local newscasts in many markets, but yeah... the name (and the studio) is the problem. That's it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Oof... Talk about a downgrade on the name. Sure they're still in the ratings basement, lose to local newscasts in many markets, but yeah... the name (and the studio) is the problem. That's it.

To be honest, I'll take anything FTV Live says with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, to know that Gayle is still there on CTM after 9 years amazes me.

16 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

On the other hand, to know that Gayle is still there on CTM after 9 years amazes me.

Also interesting when you realize she’s technically been host longer than Savannah has been at Today. Certainly doesn’t feel that way.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

According to FTV Live, the show will relaunch next week as “CBS Mornings”. That is according into a source who spoke to FTV about staff on the broadcast being upset with the current EP. 

I'll believe it when it's officially announced; I still refuse to take FTVL seriously. All that said, I personally don't love that name; it sounds more suitable for a more fluff-based morning show than a strictly news-based one. At least "Morning" makes sense as it was used by the Eye as Morning show name once before (and of course still in use today with Sunday Morning.)

CBS confirms new format, name for CBS Mornings

From the article:

Starting September 7, the entire CBS morning schedule will be treated as a larger franchise, with weekdays and Saturdays featuring some of the in-depth and longform features for which the Sunday show — a TV-news institution — is best known.

Even the popular trumpet fanfare that greets viewers of “Sunday Morning” will find its way to its counterparts.  “There is a real affection for that program,” says Khemlani. CBS is counting on the sound of that horn to lure new viewers in an era when doing so has become a tougher task.

“We are essentially building a franchise that is seven days a week,” he adds.

• Like 1

Here is a first look at the new studio! It appears based off this photo, that we can expect the graphics to be a combo of CBS Weekend News and CBS Sunday Morning. 

The ‘new’ studio is the 2020 election space dressed for morning tv. The background here is a video wall showing an expanded virtual space (like FTN and the Lead do).

E1A0DA8E-CA69-4B0C-B214-F424A94702B5.jpeg

Edited by freelanceproducer

29 minutes ago, Glimmer said:

Even the popular trumpet fanfare that greets viewers of “Sunday Morning” will find its way to its counterparts.

I'd argue that Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes are the last two obviously successful franchises in the CBS News Portfolio (up for debate, but CTM, FTN, and EBSEN ratings are my evidence)- Guess Susan's plan is to dilute that across the franchise? Feels like doubling down on stupid.

• Like 1

I don’t see this iteration being any more successful and CBS will once again “innovatively” reformat their morning offering several years down the line. This is the same format they tried for a decade before The Early Show. 

Seems like a missed opportunity to take advantage of the Times Square location especially since it’s been neglected by GMA in recent years.

31 minutes ago, freelanceproducer said:

Here is a first look at the new studio! It appears based off this photo, that we can expect the graphics to be a combo of CBS Weekend News and CBS Sunday Morning. 

The ‘new’ studio is the 2020 election space dressed for morning tv. The background here is a video wall showing an expanded virtual space (like FTN and the Lead do).

E1A0DA8E-CA69-4B0C-B214-F424A94702B5.jpeg

The new rendition of the show will still feature the Eye Opener, according to multiple sources.

I have to see all the changes in action before I can judge if this is going to work. I will say that the name change was completely unnecessary and ‘CBS Mornings’ sounds horrible. 

Fundamentally, it makes sense to have all their morning programs under one uniformed ‘umbrella’ both in look and format. So I disagree with the idea that this will hurt the CBS Sunday Morning brand. 

Having everyone/everything separate (whether it’s 60 Mins., CBSEN, etc…) doing their own thing and never ‘really’ working together as one news organization has never made sense. 

Here’s Neeraj Khemlani’s note to staff:

Team – 

Today, we are unveiling our new morning franchise, CBS MORNINGS, which launches Sept. 7 from its new studio in the ViacomCBS Headquarters building in Times Square, and will be co-hosted by Gayle King, Tony Dokoupil and the newest member of the team, Nate Burleson. The newly renamed CBS SATURDAY MORNING will move to the new studio on Sept. 18.

Marrying impactful journalism with exquisite storytelling, the new morning program continues to provide a hard news focus during the 7 AM hour with an expanded commitment to feature reporting in the 8 AM hour. Our goal is simple: bring together the best team of hosts, correspondents and producers to create a show that will leave viewers more informed, more prepared and more uplifted as they start their day. 

The distinct advantage CBS News has had for years is the ability to tell rich stories on subjects rarely touched elsewhere. As viewers of CBS SUNDAY MORNING and CBS SATURDAY MORNING know well, the profiles and pieces on everything from fireflies to the father of the cell phone … to meaningful interviews with chefs and global artists … are among the most satisfying and original pieces on television.  

As our weekday program has evolved to showcase more of this unforgettable style of reporting, we have decided to take the next step and tie all our morning franchises together. Moving forward, our morning shows will be part of the same family – with a shared look and editorial breadth – connected by the sound of the iconic trumpet music and sunshine logo. Essentially, we’re adding a little bit of CBS SUNDAY MORNING, every morning, on CBS MORNINGS. 

The anchor tables are designed to bring experience, energy and range to the topics of the day, from Gayle, Tony and Nate on the weekdays, to Michelle Miller, Jeff Glor and Dana Jacobson on Saturdays and Jane Pauley on Sundays. Working with Shawna Thomas, Brian Applegate and Rand Morrison, as well as Renee Cullen, Rick Jefferson, Mitch Cardwell and dozens of producers, reporters, correspondents, engineers, editors and bookers, we are gearing up for a fall season like no other.

The media industry has taught us all that you can never stop evolving. We are thrilled today to be able to build on the strong foundation of our morning programs across the board, and deliver on every platform a fresh experience rooted in the deep reporting and storytelling that makes CBS News distinct.

We all understand how vital the morning daypart is in the news business. When viewers wake up to learn what has happened in Afghanistan or New Orleans, they are relying not just on our morning team, but on the reporting throughout this entire organization. There is no better example than this week’s coverage of Hurricane Ida. We are grateful to all of you for the effort to get the coverage on the air and for the sacrifices everyone made to make it happen.

Please join George, Wendy and me in thanking the morning teams on all of their hard work as we enter this inspiring next chapter.

Neeraj

Didn’t CBS already try and fail to use the Sunday morning formula/brand on weekdays back in the 80s??? Similarly didn't they switch from the name CBS This Morning to “This Morning” in the 90s? History repeats itself.

The new studio looks better than the current, and Nate might be a better fit than Anthony but the name change was unnecessary. You’ve had the title CBS This Morning for 9 years now, keep the consistency. They would have had me with “Sunrise”, “Daybreak” or “Dawn” but CBS Mornings is bland.

Hopefully they leave Jane in the OG set on Sundays and continue to top Today and GMA content wise on the weekdays.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

So they're moving Jane into the new studio as well? I get the "marrying" concept they're doing, but I'm still a fan of "If it ain't broken..."

Well, Jane’s been working off a green-screen since the pandemic so maybe they’re retrofitting their set into TSS?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

I'd argue that Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes are the last two obviously successful franchises in the CBS News Portfolio (up for debate, but CTM, FTN, and EBSEN ratings are my evidence)- Guess Susan's plan is to dilute that across the franchise? Feels like doubling down on stupid.

Susan Zirinsky is no longer in management at CBS, I believe she's back to producing. This isn't actually the first time CBS tried to emulate Sunday Morning across the week, they originally did that in the 80s after "The Morning Program" had flopped

Edited by NYTV

The set feels like a lateral move. I like imaging closer to 'Sunday Morning,' though I hope that program isn't changed too much. Points for 'Saturday Morning,' versus the silliness that was 'This Morning: Saturday,' but I feel like 'This Morning' on weekdays would've been more cohesive than 'Mornings.'

That said, I doubt any of it will make any difference, positive or negative.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Here's video announcing the reformat,  along with a version of Sunday Morning's theme as its theme and pics of the set -- which I think looks amazing (and yes, there is a rooster sculpture; say what you will). It's all growing on me already.

So what becomes of Studio 57? That set IMO held up pretty well.

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings