CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Well deserved! CTM is the the best of the bunch currently. I like the mature sophisticated vibe of their round table conversations with guests. The moderate pacing is great, unlike the rushed feel of Today and GMA.

All the program needs is better graphics, and added elements to Studio 57 (instead of just sitting at the desk the whole broadcast, or occasionally standing by that giant screen) and they'll be solid. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Well deserved! CTM is the the best of the bunch currently. I like the mature sophisticated vibe of their round table conversations with guests. The moderate pacing is great, unlike the rushed feel of Today and GMA.

All the program needs is better graphics, an added elements to Studio 57 (instead of just sitting at the desk the whole broadcast, or occasionally standing by that giant screen) and they'll be solid. 

CTM appears to be the morning news program with the most “news.”

• Like 2

All CBS needs to do now is get Face the Nation, The Evening News, and their o&o stations in order. In addition to improving their on-air look, and either poaching big talent from other networks or developing strong in house talent.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to CBS This Morning. Oprah is still the queen of American television, I wonder if CBS has other ideas for Winfrey going forward. The Gayle King connection was probably a big reason why CBS was able to get the rights to the special. Prior to this, Winfrey's broadcast home has always been ABC, the home of her syndicated series for many years on the O&Os. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Congrats to CBS This Morning. Oprah is still the queen of American television, I wonder if CBS has other ideas for Winfrey going forward. The Gayle King connection was probably a big reason why CBS was able to get the rights to the special. Prior to this, Winfrey's broadcast home has always been ABC, the home of her syndicated series for many years on the O&Os. 

I could see her doing "special" interviews for CBS, kind of akin to Barbara Walters Specials over at ABC.  Of course, there was that brief period a couple years ago where she was a special contributor for 60 Minutes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

The Gayle King connection didn’t hurt but, ultimately, it was CBS outbidding ABC and NBC and being willing to pay the most for the rights to the Harpo-produced special. 

I’m glad CBS This Morning is gaining some exposure. The better the competition is for GMA and Today, the more each show will fine tune and improve. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, tvtime07 said:

FWIW...

Winfrey has a corporate connection to CBS going back to when her syndicator, King World, was purchased by the old CBS in 2000, before the merger with the first Viacom.

Her historical connection with ABC was established well before that, starting at WLS-TV in Chicago in 1983.

And her early career consisted of stops at (then-) ABC affiliate WJZ-TV in Baltimore, and CBS affiliate WLAC-TV (WTVF) in Nashville. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

FWIW...

Winfrey has a corporate connection to CBS going back to when her syndicator, King World, was purchased by the old CBS in 2000, before the merger with the first Viacom.

Her historical connection with ABC was established well before that, starting at WLS-TV in Chicago in 1983.

And her early career consisted of stops at (then-) ABC affiliate WJZ-TV in Baltimore, and CBS affiliate WLAC-TV (WTVF) in Nashville. 

True, it always looked like she had a good relationship with King World when the syndicator was independent from CBS. There seemed to be friction towards the end of her talker,  Sony was actually courting Oprah to come over to their side before she officially called it quits. And instead of CBS,  Harpo had launched Dr. Oz and Nate Berkus talkers with Sony instead of CBS during this time. https://deadline.com/2009/11/the-end-of-oprah-as-we-know-her-18362/

• 2 months later...

CTM will feature celebrity guest hosts while Tony is out on paternal leave. Drew Barrymore, LeVar Burton, Nate Burleson and others are amongst the guest hosts lined up so far. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-05-12/levar-burton-drew-barrymore-among-celebrity-guest-hosts-for-cbs-this-morning

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MorningNews said:

CTM will feature celebrity guest hosts while Tony is out on paternal leave. Drew Barrymore, LeVar Burton, Nate Burleson and others are amongst the guest hosts lined up so far. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-05-12/levar-burton-drew-barrymore-among-celebrity-guest-hosts-for-cbs-this-morning

Interesting strategy, especially since CTM is the hard news morning program.

I wonder how it'll ultimately look. If it'll look the same way it did for the election with all video walls, well, then what a waste. They might as well be in New Jersey if that's the case. But the windows may not be ideal either.

During the original run of TRL, that second floor was divided into three studios. The TRL studio was the largest and had the best view looking to the north. After MTV cancelled TRL, and its replacement didn't catch on, Viacom renovated and leased out that space to be the second floor of the Aeropostiale store underneath. That leaves the only studio area (as far as I know) on the south side, which has a view of...well, the GMA studio.

Edit: here's the press release. There's not too much more information, other than that the move is coming this fall, and the facility will be "expanded." Hopefully that means getting back that north corner if possible.

https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-news/releases/view?id=57665

Edited by C Block

• 2 months later...

Kind of an odd decision, I really wish they’d stop tweaking with the line up and allow some stability.

Few things I take issue with in the article: 1. CTM isn’t as silly as the competition on ABC, NBC but the show is far from “hard news.” This lineup change and the move to MTV’s studios will definitely be a notable shift from the show’s launch.

2. GMA’s studios haven’t really utilized the Times Square location for some time imo. Home base faces inward, the couch space (when used) faced the southern end of the set away from MTVs, and after introducing the upstairs audience seating they rarely ventured outside for anything. 

2 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Kind of an odd decision, I really wish they’d stop tweaking with the line up and allow some stability.

Few things I take issue with in the article: 1. CTM isn’t as silly as the competition on ABC, NBC but the show is far from “hard news.” This lineup change and the move to MTV’s studios will definitely be a notable shift from the show’s launch.

2. GMA’s studios haven’t really utilized the Times Square location for some time imo. Home base faces inward, the couch space (when used) faced the southern end of the set away from MTVs, and after introducing the upstairs audience seating they rarely ventured outside for anything. 

I agree, this is a weird move. I always loved the vibe of CTM's studio and it has aged pretty well, I love the use of their circular desk. As a serious news program, they didn't need Times Square. Like you said, there's too much fluff at Time Square and it does seem like CTM will be evolving into another type of program with more fluff? Could we be seeing live performances on during the weekdays?

It will be interesting how ABC and CBS will sensor each other on their telecasts. In the past, ABC used to embrace their views on the area, you could see MTV logos during GMA. Like you said, things have definitely changed, GMA already limits how they use their studio. I remember back in the day, ABC utilized all areas on Time Square Studios: Primetime Thursday was set on the rooftop, Barbara Walters would be hanging out Friday nights on the first floor, and GMA utilized both floors. I'm just glad GMA Weekend is back at Times Square.  I have noticed this week that GMA3 started using the patio space once again.

6 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

I agree, this is a weird move. I always loved the vibe of CTM's studio and it has aged pretty well, I love the use of their circular desk. As a serious news program, they didn't need Times Square. Like you said, there's too much fluff at Time Square and it does seem like CTM will be evolving into another type of program with more fluff? Could we be seeing live performances on during the weekdays?

It will be interesting how ABC and CBS will sensor each other on their telecasts. In the past, ABC used to embrace their views on the area, you could see MTV logos during GMA. Like you said, things have definitely changed, GMA already limits how they use their studio. I remember back in the day, ABC utilized all areas on Time Square Studios: Primetime Thursday was set on the rooftop, Barbara Walters would be hanging out Friday nights on the first floor, and GMA utilized both floors. I'm just glad GMA Weekend is back at Times Square.  I have noticed this week that GMA3 started using the patio space once again.

My bet is that CTM will have the windows covered, similar to how it was used for Election Day. 

In addition, I remember reading somewhere that they will still use a desk that allows them to face each other at the new studio. 

• Like 1

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings