CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Wait... the affiliates' own news ticker or the network's ticker?

If it's the network's ticker, wouldn't it already be in the video before the stream reaches the affiliates' systems?

CBS and NBC do not have a national ticker. The tickers that appear during CBS This Morning and Today are inserted locally by the affiliates using a relatively simple character generator.

ABC provides a national ticker and affiliates have to key their ticker on top of the networks. I am not sure if ABC provided a standard solution for their affiliates as I've seen different styles and results.

Agree. Looks terrible. Too bright and type is harder to read now. No reason to change from the previous version.

It is a liitle harder to read, but otherwise I like it.

I can understand because of the bright yellow L3 top, and how we're used to a black top, but I disagree. I can read them fine.

On WCBS this morning, the local ticker has been updated to reflect the new graphics. (I didn't notice it previously and they had their snow delays ticker yesterday when I watched).

Like the updated bottom line of the lower-third, the ticker no longer "curves"/"wraps" next to the CBS eye bug. And for the first time in years, WCBS displays it correctly. (It's hard to explain but the angle that divided the time/temp and the rest of the text seemed strangely difficult for WCBS to handle while other affiliates had no problem with it.)

• 3 months later...

CBS This Morning is broadcasting from the observation deck of 1 World Trade Center this morning ahead of its opening next week. Norah, Charlie and Gayle are on the 102nd floor with a very nice view behind them. The photos to the left of the CTM logo in the bug are also WTC-focused.

• 3 weeks later...

This week's morning show ratings came in, and CTM has been growing again. How much? Enough to finally reach Today!

CTM was up +29 percent in the demo and up +17 among total viewers compared to the same week last year, the only morning show to grow in these two categories, putting it in its closest competition with Today in 21 years.

I'm 21 as of writing this; this is mind-boggling to me. It's still far from Today, but it's still a great thing.

Here's the article from TVNewser: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-may-25-3/264016

I hope they reach second sometime, because they deserve it. We need an actual morning news program get the ratings it deserves.

(Oh and GMA is still #1 in viewers, and got the crown back in A25-54, but that's not important.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
new graphics debuted on ctm today

they looked like this?

screen-shot-2015-09-14-at-10-00-53-pm-png.2306

Wow, these look really nice. Took the bright color and gradients out for a flatter, simpler look. Good job there.

Although the placement of the title looks weird to me.

I like the wording as this:

CBS

THIS

MORNING

Overall, it's a great change.

Unsure of the new graphics. This is much more in line with how I expected the show to look when I heard it was going to be called "CBS This Morning": White and yellow.

The CBS This Morning logo (which has been altered... "CBS THIS" on top and "MORNING" on the bottom) is much closer to the left side edge, as if they're airing in 16:9 everywhere. But the CBS Eye bug on the right has not been moved, looking like a 4:3 broadcast.

The time/temp section of the ticker no longer matches the angles.

I liked how the previous lower-thirds seemed more dynamic, with the top bar re-sizing, depending on the length of the words/name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So when did CBS This Morning replace the "floating" rear projection screen next to the green room with an identical monitor wall?

Also I just noticed they are doing augmented reality bit using the Cronkite map that's in a corner between the existing video wall and the video wall showing the control room multi viewers. They are now using the Cronkite map to show where different stories originated (usually the front page is shown). Previously they would use one of the aforementioned video walls but now they appear to be using a steadicam. As they zoom in showing a city using the steadicam and there would me a box overtop the area on the Cronkite map. Then once they show the location they put a bigger element in front of the location box showing the newspapers front page and finally the article is shown closest to the viewer. You could see the floating graphics move back and forth with the camera operator. It was pretty fluid so I guess it was a rig.

Anyone know what is powering both the virtual reality and sensor systems.

Hopefully my explanation of augmented reality made sense.

• Like 1

Whatever the case (I think it's reality augmentation, too), this is a brilliant implement to the already brilliant segment and really makes it more (to use another segment's name)

"Eye-Opening", attentive and amazing. I loved the "Headlines" segment since the start, but I love it even more because of it.

• 3 months later...
Last week was a big week for CTM, closing the total viewer gap with Today to a little under 900,000 viewers, their best week in 22 years.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cbs-this-morning-has-biggest-audience-in-22-years/283921

And that 1994 mark was set the morning after the conclusion from the Lillehammer games so for CBS to eclipse that mark without having the benefit of something huge like those games were is a BFD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings