CBS Mornings

todayshowproducer

Today (January 9, 2014) marked the two year anniversary of CBS This Morning. I think it's time they have WELL deserved a thread. :D So, in hopes that they are reading this let's have a few posts that have a few sentences that describe CBS This Morning and the impact it has had on morning news and you!

Edited by 24994J

I thought I was going to miss The Early Show as well (even though I hated the last year. David Friedmen messed the show up) but I really enjoy it. I can see CBS keeping this team for a while since the ratings are up dramatically from 2 years ago even though it hasn't overtaking Today in the ratings.

CBS This Morning is a TERRIFIC show! Very different from the other two shows and also really unique. Unless Charlie or Gayle decide to leave because they've had enough of the dreaded morning shift, I think this team will be here to stay for at least 3 more years. CBS This Morning needs to make a name for itself through interviews with the 2014 and 2016 candidates. Getting a deal with BuzzFeed Brews helps but CTM needs to bring a lot more politicians into the studio to get grilled. This is how Morning Joe made their name.

I wonder if the CTM/BuzzFeed partnership is the start of a continuing partnership between the 2 companies. Maybe CBS News' digital service which will be launching this year will include BuzzFeed as a content producer?

Shame. But anyway, I remember watching the very first (new) CBS This Morning with Charlie, Gayle and Erica (Hill). While I liked Erica, Norah and Charlie are the reasons I watch every morning because they have such great chemistry together when they are on the air. They know how to ask the tough questions, and have a little fun every now an then. A good mix. I say in the next couple of years, CTM will be a strong contender to possibly overtake The Today Show for second place.

• 7 months later...

Question, so Jeff and Vanita are filing in for Charlie and Gayle the last couple days. They usually have the three main anchors sharing headline duties, right? So why do they have a fourth person, in this case Ben Tracy, doing the headlines the past few days? Has this been a normal occurrence lately?

I watch the show a lot, and I've never seen anyone else doing "headline duties" before. Usually, it's Charlie or one of the ladies doing the "Headlines from Around the Globe" segment, if that's what you mean.

Yeah, Ben has been doing the "Headlines from Around the Globe" section the last couple days. He's doing a nice job, but I'm wondering if they are trying something new?

Yeah, Ben has been doing the "Headlines from Around the Globe" section the last couple days. He's doing a nice job, but I'm wondering if they are trying something new?

Maybe, but I hope not; I love the show as it is. I'm one whose okay to change, but this one I might not like a lot.

I saw that today too. I like Ben Tracy but having him there just to do headlines from around the globe is pointless. When are Charlie and Gayle going to be back? Not a fan of Jeff Glor or Vinita Nair on the show. Anthony Mason is a better fill in for Charlie and Margaret Brennan has filled in a few times too. Where are they?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't provide snapshots (rushing to work) but CBS This Morning updated their lower-thirds this morning. Similar design but they're taller now and they've eliminated the blacks. The logo is now on a light gray/silvery shape and the top part, when showing a name, is now blue instead of black.

I'm not a fan of the change. The previous look was simple but sleek. Now it looks clunky and cartoonish.

I missed the open so I have no idea if that changed at all. Upper thirds for the locations and stuff are unchanged (white text on black).

I think it's fine. It probably is change for the sake of change, and the previous design was better, but this isn't awful. Plus, the format of the show is still the same, which is what counts more than a minor graphics update.

If you want to see really terrible graphics, you can always flip over to ABC.

• Like 1

Can't provide snapshots (rushing to work) but CBS This Morning updated their lower-thirds this morning. Similar design but they're taller now and they've eliminated the blacks. The logo is now on a light gray/silvery shape and the top part, when showing a name, is now blue instead of black.

I'm not a fan of the change. The previous look was simple but sleek. Now it looks clunky and cartoonish.

I missed the open so I have no idea if that changed at all. Upper thirds for the locations and stuff are unchanged (white text on black).

I loved the previous look as well; the simplicity and use of black and yellow was what sold me on the concept.

I don't like the clunkiness of the logo graphic, but I do like the color.

I completely agree. I am never a fan of change for the sake of change -- which this seems.

I'm never used to change either; unless I'm told about it; that's when I'm preparing for it.

I understand if this came after the Super Bowl if CBS was broadcasting it, but not in this case.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the aqua look Apple used on their first iteration of OSX on a different font.

I think they kept the same structure so their affiliates wouldn't have to update their LIDIA equipment (the hardware that plays out the ticker.) It wouldn't be that much to ask or difficult for their affiliates to upgrade the configuration file over the weekend. An engineer told me that when Today updates their graphics, NBC (which uses the same hardware as CBS) sends out an updated configuration file where they essentially upload the files and initialize the settings. This process should take less than an hour but NBC gives the affiliates a weekend where they won't trigger the ticker.

This reminds me of the aqua look Apple used on their first iteration of OSX on a different font.

I think they kept the same structure so their affiliates wouldn't have to update their LIDIA equipment (the hardware that plays out the ticker.) It wouldn't be that much to ask or difficult for their affiliates to upgrade the configuration file over the weekend. An engineer told me that when Today updates their graphics, NBC (which uses the same hardware as CBS) sends out an updated configuration file where they essentially upload the files and initialize the settings. This process should take less than an hour but NBC gives the affiliates a weekend where they won't trigger the ticker.

Wait... the affiliates' own news ticker or the network's ticker?

If it's the network's ticker, wouldn't it already be in the video before the stream reaches the affiliates' systems?

• 24994J changed the title to CBS Mornings