Local Holiday Coverage

tyrannical bastard

WDIV has "America's Thanksgiving Parade" Live from Detroit, Thanksgiving morning and the Ford Fireworks over the Detroit River in June.

WXYZ has the annual Christmas Tree lighting in Downtown Detroit which has been going on for just over 10 years. None of that preempts network programming.

The things that do are WXYZ's coverage of the Woodward Dream Cruise in August and the Friday Auto Show Charity Preview special in January.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WDIV has "America's Thanksgiving Parade" Live from Detroit, Thanksgiving morning and the Ford Fireworks over the Detroit River in June.

WXYZ has the annual Christmas Tree lighting in Downtown Detroit which has been going on for just over 10 years. None of that preempts network programming.

The things that do are WXYZ's coverage of the Woodward Dream Cruise in August and the Friday Auto Show Charity Preview special in January.

Did you forget the WDIV parade preempts Macy's Parade on NBC? It gets shifted to WADL, where it airs in crappy SD.

Did you forget the WDIV parade preempts Macy's Parade on NBC? It gets shifted to WADL, where it airs in crappy SD.

I forgot about part... I don't usually bother to watch but it all came back when you said that... whoops

I know that WABC airs a Columbus Day parade every year, with a definite odd couple of hosts: Joe Piscopo and Maria Bartiromo. They also now carry coverage of the NYC Marathon and Half Marathon. Not sure if any of the other NYC stations carry anything. (And Matt, what is the Mummers Parade supposed to be about? And does it involve mummies?)

I know I'm kinda stepping away from christmas/new years/thanksgiving, but I know that WCBS covers that Tunnel to Towers run every year, and WPIX covers the Halloween Parade.

Many of the Raycom-owned stations (including WMC in Memphis) air a simulcast of Mobile, Alabama's New Year's Eve celebration called "Moon Pie Over Mobile", in which they drop a giant Moon Pie from the top of a skyscraper. It's kinda ironic considering Raycom doesn't even own a TV station in the Mobile/Pensacola market, yet their parent company owns several buildings downtown.

WBAL has traditionally aired the Washington Monument lighting during an hour long prime access special which usually occurs the day after the Rockefeller Center tree lighting. It features local choirs and bands performing, one or two of the Muppets all culminating up to a 10 minute laser light and fireworks show. Last years show was cut short because NBC Nightly News was extended to an hour long broadcast to honor the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela (It would have been in poor taste if they didn't air the full NN broadcast.). Over all it is a well produced production which I'd say is comparable to their Preakness afternoon special, with multiple HD cameras roaming around and their HD helicopter over head. WBAL usually sets the bar pretty high for their outside broadcast special events coverage. With that being said, I don't know if they are going to be doing a show this year because the monument is being renovated.

WJZ normally airs a broadcast of the firework shows from the Inner Harbor when the clock strikes midnight. The show airs from 11:30-12:15 or 12:30 and features one or two bands ending with a 15 minute fireworks show. I believe the show preempt any new network programming because CBS normally doesn't air any specials for New Years, I believe last year they joined David Letterman already in progress. Like WBAL they use all of their capabilities to broadcast the event in (mostly) high definition, using multiple cameras on the ground and two of their sky cams. The only downside is footage from their helicopter is acquired in SD widescreen and doesn't film very well in the dark. Last year the helicopter seemed to only get shots of smoke (maybe it was too close to the fireworks) and the best footage was from the ground and sky cams where everything was framed perfectly.

WMAR has traditionally aired an annual Thanksgiving day football game called the Turkey Bowl between two arch rival Catholic boys only college predatory schools: Loyola Blakefield and Calvert Hall College. The most recent game was the 94th Turkey Bowl which is normally played at M&T Bank Stadium but last year was played at Towson University's Johnny Unitas Stadium because the Ravens hosted the Steelers for a thanksgiving night telecast of NBC's Thursday Night Football.

WBFF usually does not do any broadcasts around the holidays.

Outside of WCMH and Red, White & BOOM!... and our other Central Ohio member can vouch for this we don't have reallyt any specials that airs in Columbus.

The only one that is coming to mind is "Into The Wildlights with Jack Hanna Christmas Special" that WBNS produce but outside of that noting really doing on that front.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd revive an old thread.

In Boston, WBZ is airing the Faneuil Hall Tree Lighting on Saturday (11/22) at 8pm. An NCIS repeat is bumped to sister station WSBK, which reairs the tree lighting at 10pm. Note that Faneuil Hall is misspelled on Zap2it.

http://www.zap2it.com/rmp/tvgrid/tvgridprint?lineupid=USA-MA20483-X&tz=US/Eastern&time=1416704400

KMOV preempts the CBS Thanksgiving Parade coverage (which is usually pitiful compared to NBC's anyway), with coverage of the local parade in downtown St. Louis. It used to be on KSDK a few years back but I guess they got too much backlash in preempting the Macy's Parade that they had to stop.

KMOV preempts the CBS Thanksgiving Parade coverage (which is usually pitiful compared to NBC's anyway), with coverage of the local parade in downtown St. Louis. It used to be on KSDK a few years back but I guess they got too much backlash in preempting the Macy's Parade that they had to stop.

Did the Macy's Parade air on WRBU at that time? That station in its pre-ION days picked up NBC shows bumped from KSDK due to Cardinals baseball or other local programs.

[WRBU] serves as a backup NBC affiliate in the event that KSDK (channel 5) preempts the network's programming due to special programming, breaking news or severe weather coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRBU

We (WDAF-TV) ditch news on Christmas morning for local choir performances and Christmas-themed programs. Otherwise we don't do anything special.

Kansas City has a Thanksgiving tradition called the Plaza Lights Ceremony. The rights to air the live ceremony change from year to year. Currently KSHB has that contract. The lights turn on at 6:57 p.m. on Thanksgiving.

We (WDAF-TV) ditch news on Christmas morning for local choir performances and Christmas-themed programs. Otherwise we don't do anything special.

The stations here also do that, except KABB, they go with news on Christmas. They also happily promote the fact ("the news doesn't take Christmas off so we don't either"). Last year, WOAI also began doing news on Christmas. I guess the Sinclair ownership parlays into that.

We have a Christmas tree lighting on Black Friday and either KLRN or KMYS (one or the other, I think they alternate) carries it live. We have a post-Winter River Parade too the day after Christmas, and I think KMYS also carries that.

On New Year's, KENS and KSAT go ahead and let their anchors get drunk off their ass take the day off and cancel news while WOAI and KABB make their anchors work and provide local news.

Did the Macy's Parade air on WRBU at that time? That station in its pre-ION days picked up NBC shows bumped from KSDK due to Cardinals baseball or other local programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRBU

The last year KSDK aired the parade was in 2005 which was before their partnership with WRBU is terms of airing NBC shows KSDK bumped. That partnership came into place after KSDK got the OTA rights to Cardinals baseball in 2006.

If I remember correctly, KSDK would air the first hour of the Macy's Parade, cut over to the St. Louis parade for 2 or 3 hours, and then cut back to the Macy's Parade on a tape delay.

The stations here also do that, except KABB, they go with news on Christmas. They also happily promote the fact ("the news doesn't take Christmas off so we don't either"). Last year, WOAI also began doing news on Christmas. I guess the Sinclair ownership parlays into that.

We have a Christmas tree lighting on Black Friday and either KLRN or KMYS (one or the other, I think they alternate) carries it live. We have a post-Winter River Parade too the day after Christmas, and I think KMYS also carries that.

On New Year's, KENS and KSAT go ahead and let their anchors get drunk off their ass take the day off and cancel news while WOAI and KABB make their anchors work and provide local news.

News on Christmas is relatively slow for the most part, it's usually a story from Vatican City, then a story from a local soup kitchen, then a few other stories (fires or shootings), and that's pretty much it.

KSAT has the Rose Parade and College Football (although must less than they use to thanks to ESPN), so that's probably why they don't do the news on New Year's Day. Not sure why KENS doesn't, the only football game they have is the Sun Bowl and that's usually New Year's Eve.

News on Christmas is relatively slow for the most part, it's usually a story from Vatican City, then a story from a local soup kitchen, then a few other stories (fires or shootings), and that's pretty much it.

KSAT has the Rose Parade and College Football (although must less than they use to thanks to ESPN), so that's probably why they don't do the news on New Year's Day. Not sure why KENS doesn't, the only football game they have is the Sun Bowl and that's usually New Year's Eve.

I should've clarified, they don't do news New Years morning. Evening newscasts are still a go.

Media lineup set for Novant Thanksgiving Parade

For the first time, the Novant Health Thanksgiving parade will be broadcast live on radio.

Beginning at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, WBT-AM (1110) will carry the parade with Ramona Holloway describing the action.

At 4 p.m. Thursday, WBTV will broadcast a tape-delay version of the parade hosted by Paul Cameron, Maureen O’Boyle and Kristen Hampton.

http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2014/11/media-lineup-set-for-novant.html

KDFW got a FOX sports special about Jack Nicklaus, NFL Football (Cowboys/Eagles) and All-Star dog spectacular.

KXAS got Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, National Dog Show, Repeat the at 7pm NFL Football (Seahawks/49ers)

WFAA got 65th Annual HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade (KHOU)

KTVT got the 54th Thanksgiving Day Parade, NFL Football (Bears/Lions)

In Jacksonville...

WJXT will be airing America's Thanksgiving Day Parade, then back to regular syndies.. Instead of a 5pm news, they'll be airing Meredith Vieira.

WTLV will be airing NBC's Thanksgiving content.. The Macy's Parade and the Dog Show. They go back to the Macy's Parade at 2pm. Station goes to news at 5. They air the Wheel/J! combo, followed by NFL Football (49ers vs. Seahawks)

WCWJ and WPXC will air nothing special, and stick to regularly scheduled programming. However, of note, the CW's Primetime will air a four-episode "Whose Line is it Anyway?" marathon.

WJXX will not air any kind of Thanksgiving programming during daytime, but in ABC Primetime, they will air "Thank You, America! with Robin Roberts."

WFOX will have a regular daytime schedule, but at 3, they begin airing FOX Sports programming. "The 1962 U.S. Open: Jack's First Major" airs at 3, followed by NFL Football (Cowboys vs. Eagles). FOX Primetime is airing "FOX's Cause for Paws"

WJAX will air the Macy's Parade to start the morning, followed by NFL Football. (Lions vs. Bears). CBS will not air anything special during primetime.

Something to note... WGN America will be airing the McDonald's Thanksgiving Day Parade from Chicago.

All 4 news stations in Milwaukee had full morning newscasts today, though WTMJ pre-empted their own 3pm and 4pm newscasts (and NBC's Macy's Parade re-air) for Live Well filler (odd since the channel's ending very soon).

WITI and WDJT pre-empted their evening newscasts and noon newscast, respectively, because of network football.

WISN is the only station airing their full lineup of syndies and news today.

Christmas is normally when most stations are lights out for the majority of the holiday.

Last year...

-WITI pre-empted all but their late newscasts with a mixture of holiday and pre-taped news specials

-WISN aired an abbreviated hour of morning news at 6am and a half-hour at 10pm, with the rest of the time filled with holiday specials and network programming

-WTMJ pre-empted their morning, noon, 3pm, 4pm and 6:30pm newscasts and replaced with a mixture of news specials, holiday programming and Live Well filler

-WDJT was the only station to air all their newscasts last Xmas

This Thanksgiving WDIV and WXYZ are only running 6 and 11pm newscasts. WJBK is only running a 10pm due to the Cowboys/Eagles game on FOX. I think they all ran their morning shows and WXYZ may or may not have run the noon, I didn't look because the Lions were on WWJ so I was watching that. WDIV did parade coverage from 9am-12 or 1pm.

WXYZ ran infomercials at 4 and Dr. Oz at 5. WDIV was running a dog show at 5.

By comparison, Chicago stations are going news-heavy today. Every station went full-slate this morning (at least 1 with a solo anchor), though WGN (8am) and WFLD (9:30am) ended early. ABC 7's WCL update was the only midday option in town, and everyone is doing scheduled newscasts except for NBC 5 preempting their afternoon 4:30 news. I haven't looked, but I wouldn't be shocked if 2, 5 and 32 have solo anchors tonight. And, as always, Ron Magers will likely be doing his tour de studio tonight at 10. He's with Tanja Babich for the early shows, and Negovan and Rutledge are at the helm on the old number 9 this evening.

KJRH ran most of their normal news slate except for its' half-hour 11am news (due to the parade), the 10pm news is airing after the game.

KOKI ran its' normal news slate.

KOTV only dropped its' Noon news (due to football).

KTUL was business as usual.

WMAR ran The Turkey Bowl from two rival catholic high schools and it appeared they actually did a good job. Last year it looked like they produced and sent the video to master control using a LiveU unit but this year I think they went satellite. The game graphics used the copper renderon package that Scripps used before hand.

WJZ and WBFF didn't do anything special other than their networks coverage.

WBAL preempted the replay of the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade to run their normal syndicated programming from 2-5PM consisting of Dr. Oz, Steve Harvey and Ellen.

• 4 weeks later...

Some tidbits from threads on RadioDiscussions:

The situation in Seattle:

KING-5: No 4PM newscast 12/24, airing "A Hollywood Christmas at the Grove" instead with Nancy O'Dell.

No morning newscast at all 12/25 - airing "Meet the Press Remembers The First Ladies" at 4:30AM, Horizons of the Spirit at 5AM and the Children's Medical Center Holiday Parade from Dallas at 6AM.

No noon newscast, airing "Take a Moment" at noon instead (not sure what the program is about).

"Hot for the Holidays" airs at 4PM 12/25 replacing the newscast. 5PM and 6:30-7:30PM, and 11PM newscast still goes on 12/25.

KOMO-4: Half-hour 4PM newscast instead of one hour 12/24 - "Problem Solvers Gift of Giving" airs at 4:30.

6PM is half-hour, airing "Problem Solvers Investigates" as well.

No morning 12/25 - 5AM is "Peace on Earth" and 6AM is Byron Allen's "Happy Holidays America" syndicated special.

NBA takes over the 4PM newscast, and no 6PM news at all 12/25, airing "Problem Solvers Investigates" instead. 5PM and 11PM are still going on 12/24 and 12/25.

KIRO-7: No newscast changes on both days.

KONG-16: Hollywood Christmas Parade replaces the 7-9AM newscast 12/25.

Dallas Health Christmas Parade airs 9PM 12/24 - usually a newscast here.

Hot for the Holidays 9PM 12/25. 10PM newscast is intact both nights.

KCPQ-13: Yule Log replaces morning newscast 12/25.

KCPQ is awesome on 12/25! All trash talk and newscasts between 9AM-6PM are taken over by classic TV shows from Antenna TV. Mr. Ed, All in the Family, Diff'rent Strokes, etc. Blast from the past.

No changes to KZJO's schedule, except Yule Log 9-11AM 12/25.

-crainbebo

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?682558-Stations-airing-little-or-no-news-programming-12-24-or-12-25&p=6019821&viewfull=1#post6019821

In Los Angeles, both KTLA and KCAL with have dueling Yule Logs from 4am to 11 am (KTLA will get it's music from IHEART'S KOST, while KCAL will get it's soundtrack from sister outlet KRTH) KTLA will have classic sitcoms from it's Anntenna TV sub channel, while KCAL sticks to regular save some rather dated specials; Gospel-Fest, African American Short Film Festival, and Funniest Pets and People, replacing it's Noon, 2 and 4 pm Newscasts.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?682558-Stations-airing-little-or-no-news-programming-12-24-or-12-25&p=6019873&viewfull=1#post6019873

Yakima/Tri-Cities

KIMA/KEPR - Normal on 12/25! I'm shocked. Little region of 150-200,000 in a 100-mile range and still making anchors work at 5AM Christmas Day. No special programming on KIMA at all except for the CBS national "Christmas at the Cathedral" program Xmas Eve.

KAPP/KVEW - Nothing! "America This Morning" goes until 7AM replacing Good Morning NW. The Middle replaces 5PM, an infomercial replaces 6:30, Extra! starts at 11PM instead of 11:05.

KNDO/KNDU - No morning newscast. Sports Stars of Tomorrow (E/I syndicated) replaces 4:30, NBC Christmas Liturgical at 5AM, "Happy Holidays America" (Byron Allen) at 6AM. Rest is normal.

KCYU/KFFX - "Fox First at Ten" airs as normal 12/24 and 12/25.

These stations could have just aired a bunch of the syndicated holiday shows like "A Hollywood Christmas at the Grove" and the Children's Medical Center parade from Dallas. I'm surprised they are not. KIMA is acting like it's a normal workday.

And then, in Portland

KATU - No news at all until 11PM on Christmas Day. Normal 12/24. MyDestination.TV/San Antonio Holiday River Parade/Happy Holidays America replaces 4:30-7AM, MyDestination.TV replaces 5PM, and a "KATU Problem Solvers" special at 6PM.

KOIN - Normal completely, even 4:30AM newscast still on the air 12/25.

KGW - Only news is 5PM and 11PM. Morning is replaced with Northwest Backroads, NBC Liturgical and a "Grant's Getaways Special" at 6AM. Northwest Backroads (Grant Goodeve) airs at noon, the Grant's Getaways Special replays again at 4PM. Oregon History Makers, "Your Heroes" and Northwest Backroads replace 6-7:30PM news block.

KPTV - 10PM news is only 1/2 hour 12/24 with the Les Schwab Toy Drive special airing at 10:30 and "Fox 12: Hey Do My Job!" at 11PM. Hot for the Holidays replaces 6PM news 12/24. On 12/25, Yule Log, Hot for the Holidays, Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice, and Joy to the World replace "Good Day Oregon." The Les Schwab Toy Drive special airs at 5:30PM 12/25, Joy to the World at 6PM replacing the 6PM newscast. Later on, there's a special called "First. Live. Local. Weather" at 10:30, and Fox 12 Health Watch at 11PM 12/25.

KPDX - Newscasts cancelled 12/24 and 12/25. 8PM is "Joy to the World" and 9PM 12/24 is "Unforgettable Holiday Moments on Ice." 12/25, KPDX will air "A Christmas Wedding Date," a 2012 TV-movie with Marla Sokoloff.

KRCW - Syndicated "Eye Opener" program is replaced at 6AM by the Yule Log, many classic TV shows air throughout the day to 6PM 12/25. KGW 10PM newscast airs as normal.

-crainbebo

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?682558-Stations-airing-little-or-no-news-programming-12-24-or-12-25&p=6021670&viewfull=1#post6021670

Connecticut:

WFSB Channel 3 the Merideth Owned CBS Station. - Morning News Starts at 5AM Thursday 12/25 instead of at 4:30AM. No News at 5PM & 5:30PM. Replaced by a 2nd Best of Better Connecticut. News will air as scheduled at Noon (possibly), 6PM, and 11PM.

WTNH Channel 8 the Lin TV Owned ABC Station. - No Morning News or Noon News. No News at 5, 530, or 6 either due to an NBA Double Header. News will air as scheduled at 11PM.

WVIT Channel 30 the NBC O&O - No Morning News 4:30-7AM. No Late Morning News 11AM-Noon. No news at 5PM or 5:30PM. News will air as scheduled at 6PM & 11PM.

WTIC-TV Channel 61 the Tribune owned FOX station. Looks like all their news is in tact. 4AM-10AM, 4PM-6PM, and 10PM-11:30PM.

Side Note: WCCT-TV Channel 20 sister station of WTIC-TV will be simulcasting Antenna TV Thursday Morning 4AM-5AM, 6AM-10AM (including Antenna TV's airing of The Yule Log), and 11AM-4PM. Why? I have no idea.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?682558-Stations-airing-little-or-no-news-programming-12-24-or-12-25&p=6022184&viewfull=1#post6022184

Found two ABCs without news entirely tomorrow evening:

KTWO 2 Casper, WY has no news at all; they are airing syndicated programs like "Mad About You" and "Dish Nation" in the usual news slots.

KLAX 31 Alexandria, LA has no news at all; NBA takes over most of it and the 10pm slot is "Sounds of the Holiday Season," where local school choirs sing holiday favorites. KALB-5 will have some news on Christmas however.

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?682558-Stations-airing-little-or-no-news-programming-12-24-or-12-25&p=6022207&viewfull=1#post6022207

Archived