2013 Winners and Losers

Newyorktalent

Winners:

WABC continued to be the number one station for news and making money.

WNYW became competitive in the morning and at 10pm. At times second in

late news demos.

WNBC added two new anchors to its lineup and didn't fall that much with

the departure of Sue Simmons.

Losers:

WWOR ending it's 10pm news.

WCBS slowing down in the ratings race falling even more behind

Ch 7.

NY1 makeover was nice not great

WPIX despite a management and anchor upheaval station sunk even lower in the ratings

I have to say I actually like WCBS. I originally wasn't crazy about the new music, but now I love it, and the graphics are great. WABC I have to say has it all. Most of their newscasts are flawless. Nothing really attracts me to WNBC, but on the occasions that I've watched their newscasts, they aren't bad. WNYW is excellent in the morning, with Greg and Rosanna. I don't watch them in the evening, as I wasn't a fan of Dari Alexander. WPIX has the potential to be very good, but the management seems like they don't want to. Kaity Tong is excellent, they should of never got rid of her and Watkins. As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". WPIX learned that the hard way. I like Kori Chambers, but Suki has to go. I think they were wrong to get rid of Frances Rivera. I have to say Marysol and Dan aren't bad. As for the weather, I never cared for Linda Church, but as for her weather, she isn't bad either. Tamsen's okay too, and her and Stanford don't make a bad team. I think Mr. G use to be good, but is getting old, and should be replaced shortly. I think Craig Allen would be a wonderful replacement, but his job at WCBS 880 prevents that from happening. I think Kaity is fine by herself, but if they wanted to pair her with a co-anchor, I think they should pair her with either Marvin Scott, or Craig Treadway. I like the graphics they use during their promos, and I hope they have changes in the works for 2014. I also hear they are getting a new studio (according to an article), however other than that I haven't seen any indication of them looking to renovate their current one. All we can do is hope the ratings improve for 2014.

(By the way, are their any ratings for the 9PM News on WLNY? I watch that newscast all the time, and I think the format is great.)

Winners:

WABC continued to be the number one station for news and making money.

WNYW became competitive in the morning and at 10pm. At times second in

late news demos.

WNBC added two new anchors to its lineup and didn't fall that much with

the departure of Sue Simmons.

Losers:

WWOR ending it's 10pm news.

WCBS slowing down in the ratings race falling even more behind

Ch 7.

NY1 makeover was nice not great

WPIX despite a management and anchor upheaval station sunk even lower in the ratings

I boldened one of Newyorktalent's items for emphasis.

A lot of people here on TVNT overestimated the importance of Sue Simmons to the WNBC newscast. During her last years at the station, she basically was phoning it in. That performance was nowhere worth the annual $5 million she was being paid. That WNBC has remained a viable competitor in a post-Simmons era should put to rest the wishes of those who would like to see her hired to anchor at another TV station. It isn't happening. And if it did, it would have to be accomodated by a hefty salary haircut that would make it appear she was plugging Bosley instead of anchoring a newscast.

Archived