The Future of WGN America

Guest NewsHound

I'm not so sure WGN America is dropping any of their news simulcasts. According to TV Guide and LocateTV, they are actually adding to it. Those guides both list that the 4:00 a.m. hour of the WGN Morning News is being added to the schedule starting this coming Monday.

I wonder if it's to make up for perhaps dropping the 9pm hour down the road.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[jaw drops]

Wow.

I was as shocked as you are, if this verifies, it would be the first time the Morning News would air nationally since September 12, 2001 (I remember WGN America, or as it was known then WGN Superstation, airing the program that day to cover the 9/11 attacks that happened the day before), and the first time it was run regularly on the superstation since 1996.

I guess there aren't any segments during that hour that would conflict with Syndex rules, if that really was what caused the Morning News to be dropped before.

I guess no one has looked at the entire schedule. It does say it's adding just the 4am hour of the Morning News, but it shows that its "Nine O'Clock News" is not on the schedule after tomorrow (1/30/14).

So much for adding news to the lineup if this new lineup sticks..... Should they eliminate the news altogether on WGN America, they might as well add the channel to Chicago systems.

Is it just the 4:00 hour? I would love them to clear the full morning show for the network since they have a cult following through their clips on youtube. Can you imagine the audience they would build beyond chicago obviously and through the internet platform, nowhere to go but up. Besides, what's preventing them to do so? Syndex or needed reruns of "In the heeeeat of the night"?, come on.

Is it just the 4:00 hour? I would love them to clear the full morning show for the network since they have a cult following through their clips on youtube. Can you imagine the audience they would build beyond chicago obviously and through the internet platform, nowhere to go but up. Besides, what's preventing them to do so? Syndex or needed reruns of "In the heeeeat of the night"?, come on.

It is just the 4:00 a.m. hour. I believe that timeslot had been ceded to infomercials before. Better that than nothing. The 5-7 a.m. CT time period on WGN America is ceded to just infomercials and religious shows. The removal of the 9 p.m. news means that news simulcasts will be just weekdays only now, since the weekend morning newscasts (which are just one hour) weren't added (the 6 a.m. hour on weekends on WGNA is filled by religious shows, too).

I'm thinking advertising. As in those paid segments that appear within the broadcast. Usually the sales department negotiates the appearance and the terms are usually the segments cannot air outside the DMA otherwise they would charge them a national rate. Why do you think radio streams often air separate ads than from what actually is played off the air.

On next Monday on Surewestkc TV Listings for WGN America 4am to 5am and 12pm to 1pm Newscast are listed but not even on Sunday no Sports Show 9:30 and sometimes Movies runned pasted 9:30pm.

http://www.wgnamerica.com/contact_us_faq it says you can watch 9pm Online. They could also add 5pm in the future and those others in the mornings. Theirs people who don't live in Chicago area anymore and don't want Internet access don't like it.

There is one thing that I should ask, what does the removal of the 9 p.m. newscast mean for WGN America's broadcast of the Powerball and Mega Millions drawings? Did they drop them? If so that's a bit of a problem, considering that television stations in some markets in lottery-participating states don't carry either drawing at all or only run them when there is a large jackpot (about $500 million or more), Oklahoma is one of them. It is also an issue, because unless something changed in the last few months, the Iowa Lottery uses the same numbers as the Illinois Lottery for their Pick 3 and Pick 4 drawings. So the removal of the 9 p.m. news also means only the midday drawings are shown, so those in Iowa who live within markets that don't carry the Iowa Lottery's drawings (on the assumption that Iowa televises theirs) would either need the internet or call the lottery commission for the results.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Former Member 207

some Chicago expats (a lot of snowbirds in FL) who can't or refuse to stream the 9PM news have started a facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/WGNNewsFans

I looked at the page a few times...I find it rather comical that just as easy as these people who use Facebook, they can't (or accurately, won't) use the WGNTV.com stream to watch their local newscasts. Some people aren't meant to be on computers.

Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but if they can air all of WGN's newscasts online, why can't WGN-A air the full morning news, even if it's just the 4a-9a version? I'd sooner watch WGN in the morning over the local AM news in Raleigh.

They almost certainly could. They just choose not to.

They are trying to differentiate WGN-A from the Chicago-centric WGN, and dropping the mainly Chicago-focused newscast is one way they are trying to do that.

They almost certainly could. They just choose not to.

They are trying to differentiate WGN-A from the Chicago-centric WGN, and dropping the mainly Chicago-focused newscast is one way they are trying to do that.

these seem to old snowbirds in Florida who are likely to technophobic, yet they're on Facebook, national advertisers don't care about them, and local Chicago advertisers aren't gonna pay more to reach them

I always assumed Syndex applied to the station themselves and their regular and/or network programming, not a segment on a morning newscast. When we had DISH Network, I got the superstation package so I could watch out of market newscasts & catch syndicated shows earlier than they air in Raleigh, and the only time I ever remember anything being blacked out, was when the Nationals played the Yankees or Mets, other than that everything was the same exact feed NY, LA, etc get, including local commercials for car dealerships, law firms, etc.

I always assumed Syndex applied to the station themselves and their regular and/or network programming, not a segment on a morning newscast. When we had DISH Network, I got the superstation package so I could watch out of market newscasts & catch syndicated shows earlier than they air in Raleigh, and the only time I ever remember anything being blacked out, was when the Nationals played the Yankees or Mets, other than that everything was the same exact feed NY, LA, etc get, including local commercials for car dealerships, law firms, etc.

They may have Chicago market rights to certain national syndicated reporters, segments (I think Mr. Food was one of them) and things that don't apply outside the Chicago DMA.

And yes, I think streaming is a factor in this. WGN's news is an excellent product that puts most local news programs to shame. It's just that you can now stream the majority of local newscasts in the country, WGN included, without geographical barriers. (Throw in a Chromecast and you're pretty much set.) The ramifications are pretty interesting. Tornado in Oklahoma City? Stream KFOR. Bombing in Boston? Pull up WBZ. Shooting in Tucson? KOLD's streaming (I watched and relied on KOLD for streaming when Gabby Giffords was shot—their reporting was excellent and they were one of the very few outlets who did not say Giffords was dead). All five stations in Phoenix now stream their local newscasts.

Another factor in the "nationalization" of WGN America is the changing landscape of television sports rights. As recently as 20 years ago most teams in the NBA, NHL and MLB were on over-the-air television. A variety of factors (such as the rise of cable RSNs, the New World switch and foundation of WB and UPN) have really reduced that number. In Phoenix the Suns and Diamondbacks both exited OTA relationships because of more lucrative deals to be had with the RSNs, as well as the fact that being on a cable RSN allows a team to reach their designated sphere of influence much more effectively than having to find outlets for their games in several media markets. (The Coyotes put a 10-game package on KTVK and KASW this year, their first sports contract since the Diamondbacks went exclusively to Fox Sports Arizona.)

WGN in Chicago carries four teams in three leagues: the Cubs and White Sox, the Bulls and the Blackhawks.

• In the case of the Hawks, WGN can't carry any games because of the exclusive NBC/NHL TV rights contract.
  • WGN can't air any Bulls games outside of those it is allowed to carry nationwide.

This leaves the Cubs, who are exploring starting their own RSN/carrier akin to YES or LeafsTV, and the White Sox. The Cubs aren't part of the expanded MLB on Fox Sports 1 package this year, probably because of WGN which carries more of the Cubs than the Sox.

Mr. Food was on WLS forever (I can still here the echo of Joel Daly's utterance of 'MR. FOOD!'), and the last year or two aired on WCIU's morning crapfest before he passed.

Are there any other syndicated segments on local news nowadays besides the Bloomberg Business Report? I know Mr. Food passed away a couple years ago, so not sure if some stations are running classic segments or if it just went away altogether.

KENS 5 has "Mr. Food" still. It now runs under the title of "Mr. Food's Test Kitchen" with rotating chefs.

And didn't Bloomberg discontinue the Business Report at the beginning of the year?

Archived