Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Good Morning America


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

How is this bad?

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird. They don’t prerecord the second hour publicity focused interviews, they do record several of the first hour’s interviews which is supposed to be the more newsy portion of the show. This has been their practice even when there aren’t conflicts with 7am guests appearing on NBC or CBS.

Edited by MorningNews
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Attorneys at Law! 

I wonder what intern is running the ticker.

I totally agree with these sentiments. This informational format (health, finance, people-doing-good fare. etc.) is so much more substantive than SS&K, and would serve as a more worthwhile 3rd hou

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird. They don’t prerecord the second hour publicity focused interviews, they record several of the first hour’s interviews which is supposed to be more newsy portion of the show.

 

Much of those interviewees are people who are making the rounds of all the morning shows, both on broadcast and cable. In order to get those folks on your show in the 7:00 half hour, you sometimes have to conduct the interview at 6:50. Everyone does it, and it's been going on for decades.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird.

But would we even care if they said 'pre-recorded' in the top bar? A bunch of stations have scripted 'live' pharmaceutical interviews or advertorial 'steals and deals' that are aired all the time without any outrage. Unless some loon comes barreling onto the set and needs a security tackle, I only care about the news and concerts being live. Morning television is a formula, and anything that doesn't stick to the script makes for a bad day behind the scenes.

 

It's basically the same as a sitcom, reality, or drama show being 'all new'...which is impossible unless you change the opening titles and credits too every week. There are branding labels that are broadly applied, and we've accepted that for 'live' and 'all new' because it's impossible to be 100% of those titles on any given day or week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, MorningNews said:

Does anyone know the reason GMA seems to prerecord so many of their first hour interviews? Whether it’s a medical expert or today’s William Shatner interview, it always seems to be prerecorded. 

 

It started out of necessity back when GMA was in second place but the show then, as it still does, believes a taped newsmaker interview is better because they can edit it down to keep the best parts. As someone else has mentioned, GMA puts a high value on story count. 

 

From NY Mag in May 2005: Ben Sherwood says. “We don’t have the luxury of doing live interviews as often as they do.” As a result, GMA often pre-tapes interviews, then edits the segments; on a recent morning, Gibson taped an interview with the parents of children who had been roughed up by a school-bus driver—Couric went live with them later. “They’re getting a more lively pace by cutting out the deadwood in an interview,” says Andrew Tyndall. “It’s more about getting sound bites than the interaction between the interviewer and interviewee.”

 

The taped newsmaker segments became part of their culture and 16 years later they would still prefer to tape an interview at 6:50 so it can be chopped down to air at 7:15. Viewers don't care whether it is LIVE or not, as long as it is an engaging interview. (They also aren't watching all three shows simultaneously to see that one person is commonly on two shows at the same time)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

 

It started out of necessity back when GMA was in second place but the show then, as it still does, believes a taped newsmaker interview is better because they can edit it down to keep the best parts. As someone else has mentioned, GMA puts a high value on story count. 

 

From NY Mag in May 2005: Ben Sherwood says. “We don’t have the luxury of doing live interviews as often as they do.” As a result, GMA often pre-tapes interviews, then edits the segments; on a recent morning, Gibson taped an interview with the parents of children who had been roughed up by a school-bus driver—Couric went live with them later. “They’re getting a more lively pace by cutting out the deadwood in an interview,” says Andrew Tyndall. “It’s more about getting sound bites than the interaction between the interviewer and interviewee.”

 

The taped newsmaker segments became part of their culture and 16 years later they would still prefer to tape an interview at 6:50 so it can be chopped down to air at 7:15. Viewers don't care whether it is LIVE or not, as long as it is an engaging interview. (They also aren't watching all three shows simultaneously to see that one person is commonly on two shows at the same time)

This seems like the more plausible explanation. I was familiar with the concept for instances where guests are booked simultaneously on the 3 network shows, but GMA takes the prerecorded route for interviews in the first hour regardless of if a guest is appearing elsewhere or not. Before moving to the east coast, I had always assumed that the interviews had just been edited for tape delayed airings but turns out it’s part of the live airing which is what prompted my curiosity. Interesting to understand why they do it the way they do.

 

Though I think they could stand to clean up the transition from tape to live, it’s ultimately not noticeably or even significant to the casual viewer who is assuredly not manically flipping between the 3 shows every few minutes to compare rundowns like myself lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

But would we even care if they said 'pre-recorded' in the top bar? A bunch of stations have scripted 'live' pharmaceutical interviews or advertorial 'steals and deals' that are aired all the time without any outrage. Unless some loon comes barreling onto the set and needs a security tackle, I only care about the news and concerts being live. Morning television is a formula, and anything that doesn't stick to the script makes for a bad day behind the scenes.

 

It's basically the same as a sitcom, reality, or drama show being 'all new'...which is impossible unless you change the opening titles and credits too every week. There are branding labels that are broadly applied, and we've accepted that for 'live' and 'all new' because it's impossible to be 100% of those titles on any given day or week.

Certainly not outraged here, I just don’t care much for the approach. It’s not so much that the interview isn’t live but more that I think it removes some of the authenticity of the show when the news interviews are recorded and then glaringly sliced and diced during the playback. I get why they do it for double and triple booked guests but the interviews in the show’s entire first hour follow this strategy regardless of if a guest is on another show which is what promoted my question. 
 

It’s not a big deal and others likely don’t even notice it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.