Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Action Newsroom

Good Morning America

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Bringing back both costs too much.

As for the re-titled midday show, 'Strahan, Sara & Keke' doesn't flow AT ALL. I'd hope that this is a holdover til the daytime premieres next week (the renaming coinciding with Keke's birthday today). That said, 'GMA3' is that bad, now that I've had time to think about it. It has 3 hosts and is the 3rd hour of the flagship. Even if it sounds more like a Korean boy band than a show, it's easier to say and brand than the 3 hosts.

Why would it be holdover til next week? If that was the case why not keep the old name until next week. 

Also, did you mean to say “isn’t that bad”?

Edited by TVNewsLover

1 minute ago, TVNewsLover said:

Why would it be holdover til next week? If that was the case why not keep the old name until next week. 

I mean like go heavy on the 3 names now, get the viewers used to the permanent trio, but dial that back after a bit and use the GMA3 more prominently later. Convoluted, yes, but the show's had so many names in a year, already, would it be that surprising?

Good Afternoon America was probably the best.  That said, over the last few years ABC has gone heavy on the acronym, ditching most references to "Good Morning America" in favor of "G-M-A."  So, in that sense, the fact that they came up with 'GMA3' is not terribly surprising.  (Not far off from GMA Day.)

GMA3 sounds like the strain of a virus your doctor would vaccinate you for.

• Haha 4

Personally I was hoping for a rename to GMA3: Return of the Jedi.

We also would've accepted GMA3: G With a Vengeance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Ditto on that last part. There has been talk floated recently, affirmed by ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke, about ABC potentially reviving either of the two soaps, now that ABC owns the rights to All My Children and One Life to Live again under their prior settlement with Prospect Park. I think reviving AMC or OLTL over ABC's air would be a backup plan (Plan B or, moreso, C), in case the to-be-rechristened GMA3 doesn't work out; it might be likelier that either - if at all - would end up as web series, either on ABC's web platform or on Disney+.

Even if there was a strong possibility that they decided to do a soap revival, there's no chance of bringing back both AMC and OLTL on the ABC daytime lineup, since that would require recouping the hour it ceded to its stations to accommodate those two or offing General Hospital, which doesn't seem like a possibility at this point, even though GH is kinda situated at fourth (last) among the soaps behind Days of Our Lives.

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

They could both come back as half hour soaps.

I agree with both AMC and OLTL coming back as half hour soaps, instead of full hour soaps.  Less is more.  Soaps having such rich histories and legacies associated with them.

I could see CBS mulling over reviving 1 or 2 of its canceled soaps, shortened to half hour broadcasts, if Let's Make A Deal or The Talk was to get axed.  As the World Turns, much like OLTL, was getting better near the end of its run.  Guiding Light may have been in trouble in its last years.  Or I could see Capitol being revived, even though it's been gone since 1987.

• Like 2

Just call it The Crew... they could even just photoshop some old The Chew promo material then.

On a more serious note - likely the only reason it's GMA-branded is because ABC sees some value in the brand now, given the parent program's #1 rating in HHs during the morning--and their recent demo wins.

I like the Crew name too, but this looks like ABC trying to build GMA into a more fluid, all-hours brand like Today.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:35 PM, Daybreak said:

I was wishing they would name the show Strahan, Sara & Palmer!! 

Attorneys at Law! 

• Haha 12

On 8/27/2019 at 12:20 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I agree with both AMC and OLTL coming back as half hour soaps, instead of full hour soaps.  Less is more.  Soaps having such rich histories and legacies associated with them.

I could see CBS mulling over reviving 1 or 2 of its canceled soaps, shortened to half hour broadcasts, if Let's Make A Deal or The Talk was to get axed.  As the World Turns, much like OLTL, was getting better near the end of its run.  Guiding Light may have been in trouble in its last years.  Or I could see Capitol being revived, even though it's been gone since 1987.

Agreed, less is more! At least the Talk and Lets Make A Deal have held their slots for the entire decade since GL & ATWT were canceled. ABC on the other hand scrapped 40+ year old OLTL & AMC for shows that lasted no time at all. If the soaps do return they'd be better off as half hour shows with better writing than they had in their final years. As much as I love those long running venerable sopas, I must admit they've been on a quality slide since the mid 2000s. 30 mins might be better for their strained budget..smaller cast, less content to fill 5 days a week. Likewise, given General Hospital's current quality they'd be better off being chopped to a half hour.

Edited by iron_lion