Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

My question is why isn't ABC bringing back the Good Afternoon America branding for the show's 3rd hour?

Idk why ABC wants to be NBC with a 3rd hour of anything. Yes, NBC makes a ton of money. Ben Sherwood is a news guy and he getting rid of The Chew. Does it really matter if Good Afternoon, Good Morning, Good Night, Good Day? It be nice if it was Good Riddance America.

I'm a lover of news as well, but with 24 hour cable outlets. Do we really need another news/lifestyle program on tv? They could be doing so much more than another hour of a morning news program that only covers news from 7-7:30am and after that it cooking, clothes, celebrity and more. GMA is not my GMA that I once was proud of. Even though Today Show does the same, but at least it consistent.

• Like 1

Sara and Michael are a good pairing for that third hour and I agree that hopefully it pushes Michael way off the first hour or two.

I wonder if ABC is branding it as Good Morning America instead of Afternoon because they're planning at some point to move it up to 9 am. They're taking members from The View so why not just push it back to that 1 pm timeslot to go up against The Talk on CBS and let LIVE shift to 10 am.

Just doesn't seem likely to me that GMA at 1 pm is a long term solution.

• Like 1

Hopefully they’ll slowly shift Strahan off the main 7am hour.
Agreed, and I have to assume he'll disappear from the 7 am hour pretty quickly. I image he wouldn't be willing to stick with the 4:00 am wakeup for GMA at 7, and then stay around to prep for and do the 1:00 pm show.

EDIT: Just read that the show will be taped in the morning after GMA airs, so disregard my hypothesis.

My question is why isn't ABC bringing back the Good Afternoon America branding for the show's 3rd hour?
I was also wondering this. Personally, I like the sound of Good Afternoon America better. But, even on the morning show they have been shifting away from referring to it as "Good Morning America" and largely refer to the show as "GMA." So maybe the thought is that "GMA" is a recognizable brand, and they are doubling down on it.

Well, 1:00pm ET is still morning in the western half of the country. ;)
Yeah, but will it be airing live at 10:00 am PT or on tape at 1:00 pm PT? I would think the latter.

EDIT: Disregard this, too :).

Sara and Michael are a good pairing for that third hour and I agree that hopefully it pushes Michael way off the first hour or two.

I wonder if ABC is branding it as Good Morning America instead of Afternoon because they're planning at some point to move it up to 9 am. They're members from The View so why not just push it back to that 1 pm timeslot to go up against The Talk on CBS and let LIVE shift to 10 am.

If they do move it to the 9am hour, it'll most likely not occur until sometime next year at the earliest, otherwise, 1pm ET is alright until ABC figures out whether to give the 1pm ET/12pm CT slot back to its local affiliates or put The View in the 1pm ET/12pm CT slot

• Like 2

Who said they weren’t? The original Good Afternoon America was announced as a third hour of GMA and wasn’t named GAA until after the announcement.

Agreed.

I wonder if ABC is branding it as Good Morning America instead of Afternoon because they're planning at some point to move it up to 9 am. They're members from The View so why not just push it back to that 1 pm timeslot to go up against The Talk on CBS and let LIVE shift to 10 am.

They are members of the View? Not sure what you mean there.

The Talk airs at 2pm Eastern. But why would you mess with moving the View which has had the same time slot for 20 years?

Again, see above. There is no indication that it won’t be named Good Afternoon America.

Agreed, and I have to assume he'll disappear from the 7 am hour pretty quickly. I image he wouldn't be willing to stick with the 4:00 am wakeup for GMA at 7, and then stay around to prep for and do the 1:00 pm show.

I was also wondering this. Personally, I like the sound of Good Afternoon America better. But, even on the morning show they have been shifting away from referring to it as "Good Morning America" and largely refer to the show as "GMA." So maybe the thought is that "GMA" is a recognizable brand, and they are doubling down on it.

Yeah, but will it be airing live at 10:00 am PT or on tape at 1:00 pm PT? I would think the latter.

It will be taped right after GMA ends as reported.

It will air like the Chew did. 1pm eastern, 12 noon central/mountain/pacific.

Has there been any indication as to whether this will be a live show, or recorded in the morning and then aired in the afternoon?

See above.

Sorry meant to say they're already taking members away from The View to help GMA projects.

Also the show will launch in September as "GMA Day" and be live to tape.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/michael-strahan-and-sara-haines-have-been-named-co-hosts-of-gma-day/370945

[ATTACH=full]6245[/ATTACH]

"GMA Day"???

?????????

Out of all the names for the show they could have picked, they had to come up with "GMA Day"?? Lame!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the show will have a good run, but the name itself.......no. Just no. :(

Who said they weren’t? The original Good Afternoon America was announced as a third hour of GMA and wasn’t named GAA until after the announcement.

Then my guess is (as MorningNews said) ABC will probably move the 3rd hour of GMA to 9am, send Live! to 10am and The View to 1pm (unless they want to pair the 3rd hour of GMA with The View) but in the interim it'll air in the 1pm ET slot

• Like 1

If they do move it to the 9am hour, it'll most likely not occur until sometime next year at the earliest.

Once again a reminder; Kelly and Ryan are in syndication. They aren't universally on ABC stations. And said ABC stations with the show aren't removing that show anytime soon from 9am, and Kelly Ripa would burn ABC for millions if she was shoved out of her longtime timeslot by the O&O group and ABC affiliates. The show basically dies with her...and she's staying healthy for years to come.

That said...GMA Day is a title clearly come up with at 4:59pm on a holiday Friday by some intern who had no idea what the branding manager wanted them to do, and is shockingly horrid. Did someone else trademark Good Afternoon America in the interim or something?

• Like 3

Then my guess is (as MorningNews said) ABC will probably move the 3rd hour of GMA to 9am, send Live! to 10am and The View to 1pm (unless they want to pair the 3rd hour of GMA with The View) but in the interim it'll air in the 1pm ET slot

Makes sense to me; if that's the case, the 3rd hour would still fall under the "Good Morning America" name with no issues. "Live!", I think, would still be done at the time the program feeds to the stations that carry it (9 a.m. ET). But still, "GMA Day" is a bad idea for a title!

GMA Day is a title clearly come up with at 4:59pm on a holiday Friday by some intern who had no idea what the branding manager wanted them to do, and is shockingly horrid.

Wait until Jimmy Kimmel finds out about this quote LOL!! :D

Sorry meant to say they're already taking members away from The View to help GMA projects.

By "members," I think you mean people behind the scenes who work on The View. I am sure there are people behind the scenes at GMA who also work (or have worked) on World News Tonight, The View, and Nightline, since all are ABC News-produced programs.

My comment you quoted was in reference to the title of the third hour, not its time slot.

Once again a reminder; Kelly and Ryan are in syndication. They aren't universally on ABC stations. And said ABC stations with the show aren't removing that show anytime soon from 9am, and Kelly Ripa would burn ABC for millions if she was shoved out of her longtime timeslot by the O&O group and ABC affiliates. The show basically dies with her...and she's staying healthy for years to come.

That said...GMA Day is a title clearly come up with at 4:59pm on a holiday Friday by some intern who had no idea what the branding manager wanted them to do, and is shockingly horrid. Did someone else trademark Good Afternoon America in the interim or something?

People said that same thing when Kathie-Lee split from Regis, then it was sure the show was doomed when Regis split from Kelly. The mass hysteria that would ensue from the program being bumped back by an hour would die out rather quickly. Good Morning America is an ABC program owned and produced by ABC so it should have precedence over syndicated programming.

Additionally I know I'll be in the minority but I do actually like the name a lot!

Also the show will launch in September as "GMA Day" and be live to tape.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/michael-strahan-and-sara-haines-have-been-named-co-hosts-of-gma-day/370945

Congrats ABC. You make me wanna watch CBS This Morning now.

What does their afternoon expansion have do with the main 2-hr GMA that you want to switch to CBS TM???

The new name which shows you complete stupidity about GMA plus the audience format that they still have and I don't know why. And yet, more people continue to tune into GMA.

I like CBS This Morning better even though I don't watch network morning news.