Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

If I didn't know any better I'd venture to guess execs are testing out a new trio. I think it's apparent to everyone who watches Michael just doesn't work in this format, and even though they've tried him on serious interviews, he just doesn't have the chops for it, and doesn't clash well most of the time. Idk maybe a broad assertion but the fact that this is the first time anyone has filled in for Michael instead of just Robin and George indicates they're trying new things over at the Alphabet network.

• Like 3

I’d love to read this as them phasing Michael out and ending the experiment. But I think it almost just means Michael is officially at Robin and George’s level and acknowledging that their format is now a three anchor show.

I was really supportive of the Michael decision at first but man was I wrong.

• Like 1

Robin and Michael were both off this morning, so Amy was once again in his chair while Ceclia Vega sat in the center. Personally, I think the remaining regular anchor (George in this situation) should be seated in the middle, but that's just me.

134630380_bandicam2018-03-0922-30-02-568.thumb.png.691ad677beff3dfdf77c3d3a30f7f38c.png

• Like 2

If I didn't know any better I'd venture to guess execs are testing out a new trio. I think it's apparent to everyone who watches Michael just doesn't work in this format, and even though they've tried him on serious interviews, he just doesn't have the chops for it, and doesn't clash well most of the time. Idk maybe a broad assertion but the fact that this is the first time anyone has filled in for Michael instead of just Robin and George indicates they're trying new things over at the Alphabet network.

I hope that’s the case! I will say he’s good at the 8am hour when it’s lighter and he can play off the audience and he’s also good at lifestyle/sports/celebrity interviews. But at 7am, sorry, I don’t want to see Michael Strahan interviewing the former NYPD commissioner about a terrorist incident or talking about Washington politics and California mudslides.

• Like 2

Robin and Michael were both off this morning, so Amy was once again in his chair while Ceclia Vega sat in the center. Personally, I think the remaining regular anchor (George in this situation) should be seated in the middle, but that's just me.

[ATTACH]5581[/ATTACH]

Agreed... but somewhere there’s a consultant telling them leave the anchor in his/her usual seat, the viewers will be confused if they’re sitting elsewhere...

• Like 2

Agreed... but somewhere there’s a consultant telling them leave the anchor in his/her usual seat, the viewers will be confused if they’re sitting elsewhere...

And another consultant telling them that if they move George to the middle, they'll give the appearance that women aren't important.

[ATTACH]5581[/ATTACH]

When Robin is out these days, how often does Amy fill in for her vs. Cecilia (or another substitute) coming in for Robin while Amy remains in her normal role?

I have to assume Amy would want to be sitting in for Robin on those days, with Cecilia sitting in for Amy. It's strange that this isn't what seems to be happening. Unless Amy was out, too.

• Like 1

When Robin is out these days, how often does Amy fill in for her vs. Cecilia (or another substitute) coming in for Robin while Amy remains in her normal role?

I have to assume Amy would want to be sitting in for Robin on those days, with Cecilia sitting in for Amy. It's strange that this isn't what seems to be happening.

To be honest, I haven't seen her fill in that much. Cecilia and Paula are filling in more frequently than before.

• Like 1

I’ve been wondering this same thing because almost every time I tune in Paula is filling in for Robin instead of Amy. However, almost every time including this week, I check social media and Amy is also on some foreign island enjoying vacation.

I wish Amy was utilized more as she should be Robin’s replacement one day but I’m just really glad they’re not sticking Lara in the big chair.

I've seen it in a few places that Amy is likely going to replace Elizabeth Vargas on 20/20 after she leaves in May. Whether or not Amy continues on GMA is unknown, but it would give her a greater assignment than whatever you'd call her official role, now.

EDIT: Yeah, what Drew said.

Cecilia seems like too valuable a player to be doing a diminished GMA news anchor role. She should stay in Washington and build her cred as a leading political correspondent, and then a few years down the road move on to anchoring full time. I think it's time GMA drop the news anchor role like Today did. Also, I'm sure Amy will still fill-in for Robin when she goes to 20/20. Elizabeth has all these years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With a reduced role for Lara, they could stand to shift Michael's focus to the second hour, hell, even 7:30. I know most here are not fans of Strahan, but I generally like these moves. For being a co-anchor, Lara wasn't treated like one, and Amy is finally getting a more established role, so good for both of them.

• Like 4

Sounds like it remains unclear if Amy will continue as news anchor on GMA while hosting 20/20, or if she'll be replaced, or if the news anchor role will be eliminated altogether.

If it's the latter, in combination with the elimination of Lara's full time role, it certainly

amounts to a cost savings for the show.

• Like 5

I like this decision. He’s a quality journalist and it balances the male to female ratio on the show. Now if they could only find a way to deemphasize Michael.

From a journalistic quality perspective, it'd be nice to see Whit take over most of Michael's role in the first hour, with Michael then owning more of the second hour. Don't know that that will happen, though. Certainly not immediately.

• Like 2