Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Maybe you can say Michael himself isn't good in the role, but it's laughable to say he's unqualified. He's co-anchoring alongside a former sports reporter/college athlete and a former political strategist.

Lest we forget, Joe Garagiola had a similar career path as Michael...player turned analyst who later found fame as a talk show host and morning show contributor. At one point, even he was credited in the open of the the Today show.

Again, maybe Michael isn't their best option, but nowhere in the rule book does it say that the anchor rolr is reserved for serious, classically-trained news reporters.

• Like 2

Maybe you can say Michael himself isn't good in the role, but it's laughable to say he's unqualified. He's co-anchoring alongside a former sports reporter/college athlete and a former political strategist.

Lest we forget, Joe Garagiola had a similar career path as Michael...player turned analyst who later found fame as a talk show host and morning show contributor. At one point, even he was credited in the open of the the Today show.

Again, maybe Michael isn't their best option, but nowhere in the rule book does it say that the anchor rolr is reserved for serious, classically-trained news reporters.

Never said he was unqualified - I said inexperienced and, as a journalist, he is. As a broadcaster, he's certainly paid his dues and gained credibility as a television host through his work on FOX NFL Sunday and LIVE. As a journalist, he has a long way to go and, comparing him right now to his co-anchors isn't a fair comparison.

George Stephanopolous, the former political strategist, put in plenty of years hosting This Week, reporting for ABC News programs and subbing many times on WNT before being named anchor GMA. Robin Roberts, the former sports reporter, spent six years contributing to GMA before being made news reader first then co-anchor 4 years after that.

The point is, George and Robin gained experience and credibility before being put in the anchor position -- Michael has not and there are plenty of people at ABC News - Amy Robach in particular - who are better suited right now for an anchor position. Michael might be one day, but not today.

• Like 1

Can you add something useful or relevant to this conversation or are you just here to add negativity to the board? On a related note, your opinion about how many times is too much for one to post about the same subject really has nothing to do with the conversation the rest of us have been having.

Back the original topic of Good Morning America: I do hope they give a chance to the actual journalists working there to have the same position and billing as Strahan has received. Again I liked him a lot on "Live", but the seriousness of the news being presented and the importance it has on the daily lives of GMA's viewers is far to great to have an inexperienced journalist having a prominent role in the broadcast.

And on a somewhat related topic: has anyone checked out the weekend Good Morning America anchors' live periscope broadcasts? Very funny!

Seriously...

Was there NO testing, readings or any kind of prep work done before hand?

This is bad...very bad....he sucks and everybody knows it (including him). ABC has screwed this up so badly that he can't go back to Kelly. Where the hell will he end up?

He was fine with Kelly...but leave it to the suits to tinker and screw the (mouse) pooch.

Did this happen in a vacuum?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like GMA might be getting an updated open, and of course, none of you will like it. Personally, I don't like the current theme that debuted last fall, so while this may not be better, I'm not sorry to see the current one go. Heck, this new one might not even make it to air...

[MEDIA=vimeo]189035753[/MEDIA]

Looks like GMA might be getting an updated open, and of course, none of you will like it. Personally, I don't like the current theme that debuted last fall, so while this may not be better, I'm not sorry to see the current one go. Heck, this new one might not even make it to air...

[MEDIA=vimeo]189035753[/MEDIA]

Ummmm...k?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Linsey Davis should be suspended for this. ABC has taken the producer out of the field why not Davis also? She clearly knew what was happening and, against her better judgement, allowed it to happen.

Who decided to pull out the police line tape in the first place?

Let's start there...and work thru the field producer, reporter, AND the show producer /ep back in the booth in NYC.

The show producer knows where the reporter is, and what kind of access there is. If I as the producer see's that the reporter is in front of police line tape, then my next question is "can you give me a shot of some (police) activity?"

If the reporter says "no" the there is some explaining to do because my next question is gonna be...

"How far are you from the scene...where exactly is this police line???"

If that reporter does not have the answer to that question , or the producer never ask...then we got major problems.

*Fire the Reporter (probably a freelancer anyway)...she stood if front of it, and SHOULD have known better.

*Fire the Field Producer(another freelancer) because she is paid to be smarter and wiser then the stupid reporter...and should have KNOWN better x10.....

(Freelancers don't really ever get "fired" they just MIGHT not get called back.)

Don't fire the crew...

Even though it's probably the Photographer that had the yellow tape stashed in his goodie bag.. he gets a pass because the Field Producer and Reporter probably went ga-ga when they saw he had it. He can claim he was over-powered by the Reporter and the Producer and had no choice in the matter( he will work again)...

Fire the Sat Truck operator...

The truck operator is like a super hero at the live location...he is supposed to see and hear all. When shit goes sideways, he instantly steps up to save the day.....so that "all my work another day."

As we can see in the picture...the poor Sat-Truck-Schmuk is ASLEEP in the truck!

Bastard disrespected all live/ sat truck operators, field producers, engineers and photogs. Take no prisoners....eat news.

115655230_ABCstage.thumb.jpg.974c0cec20e0924643caab5045994be2.jpg

Linsey Davis a full time ABC News correspondent, not a freelancer. ABC should, at the very least, suspend her.

If the media wants it's credibility back ...then ABC should lop-off a few heads.

It's not like ABC hasn't been caught doing this in the past....

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1994-02-16/news/9402160348_1_cokie-roberts-in-washington-capitol

• 4 weeks later...

This is ABC's thinking: Michael Strahan doesn't really fit in well as a co-anchor, but let's sit him next to two tried and trusted anchors and see if viewers don't really notice. The Strahan Show wasn't working well at 8:30 so let's start it at 8am and go for a full hour instead of limiting the train wreck to just 30 minutes. Maybe viewers will like that better.

• Like 1

By February sweeps, Michael probably going to be moved off because GMA lost so much momentum. First the way he left Live was a big mess, and then when he got the full time gig, he didn't fit. Plus he cut both Amy and Lara time down and TJ Holmes.

• Like 1

By February sweeps, Michael probably going to be moved off because GMA lost so much momentum. First the way he left Live was a big mess, and then when he got the full time gig, he didn't fit. Plus he cut both Amy and Lara time down and TJ Holmes.

LET's HOPE! I still Say WISN needs a new network Affiliate!

• Like 1

I don't feel that Michael has been the complete disaster you all say, but I'd settle for expanding the 8:30 format with him back to the TOTH in exchange for returning him to contributor status before 8. I think that would be a reasonable compromise that restreghtens the news chops of the Robin and George team at 7 but still allows those in charge to maintain and expand the audience format (which really isn't that much different from when they'd have a standing crowd on the first floor for interviews and cooking segments back during the Charlie and Diane days).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Can someone post a video? There is a percussion-heavy cut GMA has used for some time now, usually during Breaking News and Weather. But, recently, they have used it to open the show.

You can go to watchabc.com , navigate to Good Morning America , enter your cable tv credentials and watch the episodes there.

The percussion heavy open you're referring to was used this morning on the Sunday edition for the breaking news about the immigration ban fallout.

You can go to watchabc.com , navigate to Good Morning America , enter your cable tv credentials and watch the episodes there.

The percussion heavy open you're referring to was used this morning on the Sunday edition for the breaking news about the immigration ban fallout.

I've tried that. I don't want to make an account just to hear music. The 1/24 episode will be unlocked tomorrow, I believe since 1/23 was unlocked today. I'll watch then.

EDIT: Here is a clip from this morning's broadcast. The music can be heard in the beginning. Awesome as always!