Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Honestly, it isn't the new direction of the news division in my opinion and obviously many people on TVNT share this opinion. That's why I was actually surprised when they transferred The View to the news division. Over on the thread for World News Tonight, there is almost a consensus that David Muir is taking WNT in a whole new direction (slowly, but that's all part of maintaining existing viewers)... The real problem is that people on here expect the Walter Cronkite era- news, and that's just not what the American public wants, and this is evident by the ratings for CBS News. Good Morning America and Today are not designed, nor are they expected, to be hard-news programs. They both do better than CBS, and that's because the fact of the matter is that nobody wants hard investigative journalism, etc when they wake up in the morning. But they are able to snap into news coverage when warranted, and that's all that matters. (I know some of you won't agree, but this is just my opinion based on the continuing trend of ratings across all programs)

All I've heard is that ABC News is taking over production of the show. From where (source) did you get that idea?

The only reason why I would think ABC News would want to take over the production of The View is to increase their revenue. Morning shows have been said are what finances the rest of the news division. For example in 2011 Today brought in $485 million in revenue while GMA brought in $299 million. Now I'm guessing The View will add $75 million of revenue to ABC's coffers.

There's that but it's quite a coincidental that a move like that (the view to ABC 'News' from 'Entertainment') all the news productions are held in New York and the entertainment division is held in L.A. (with the exception of 'millionaire' which tapes in Connecticut, but I digress since that's syndie) ABC daytime (which is part of 'Entertainment') now only consists of "The chew" (taped in NY) and "General Hospital" (taped in LA). Just curious, but any chance they may move 'the chew' to L.A in the future so all of ABC's 'entertainment' is focused on one town? Probably not, since the show's all about food, and what better place to film at than literally 'the food capital of the world'?

BTW: the theme y'all been wondering where it came from through the 'weekend' and 'weekday' version clips? I think that's part of the Non-stop music's '92 GMA Package. yes, package. there was a demo from the long time, old Non-stop music's website of the package. The demos in general don't work anymore if you try to archive.org it.

Sidenote: My favorite demo anywhere on the old non-stop music website was the 1996 Family Channel theme campaign "Just watch us now". Both the :30 and the full length theme are available here to hear:

Despite all the changes, The View is not doing too bad on the ratings front. The biggest issue that they're facing is that 18-54 demo, to which they're neck and neck with The Talk. What they need now is stability and let the panel gel, And if IIRC it was instability (among other things) that brought about all the problems at Today, and ABC needs to avoid going down that route (again) if they want The View to be on top. I still think they'll bring in a 5th person to the panel, and a name that has been floated around before is Ali Wentworth- Wife of GMA anchor George Stephanopoulos.

• 2 months later...

Maybe they launched yesterday, but GMA got a new open. It's the same graphics, albeit with updated animations, the theme hasn't changed, and the anchors' names now appear on individual ribbons.

"From ABC News, with Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, and Lara Spencer, live in Times Square, thia is Good Morning America."

So, like 7 months after the promotion, Lara is officially getting verbal co-anchor acknowledgement.

Maybe they launched yesterday, but GMA got a new open. It's the same graphics, albeit with updated animations, the theme hasn't changed, and the anchors' names now appear on individual ribbons.

"From ABC News, with Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, and Lara Spencer, live in Times Square, thia is Good Morning America."

So, like 7 months after the promotion, Lara is officially getting verbal co-anchor acknowledgement.

It launched today. I like it!

Flashy with the names just like Times Square, although surprisingly simple. Is this the first time that they've displayed names like that?

I think its the first time, in at least a long time, that they have even had the names written. They used to just say the names, then they stopped for a few months and now they changed it to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Video...

The weekend open is not the same.

I have to say, the set really makes a difference on GMA. The weekend show seems different with the lack of fans and outdoor use. Its a subtle difference but it really does make a difference.

I know this isn't anything new but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The weekend open is not the same.

I have to say, the set really makes a difference on GMA. The weekend show seems different with the lack of fans and outdoor use. Its a subtle difference but it really does make a difference.

I know this isn't anything new but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Sara Haines still makes it almost unwatchable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if this is the first time that GMA had their entire team in LA to do the morning show after the Oscars. Correct me if I'm wrong but normally I always thought it was Robin and one more personality (most likely Lara) with the rest of the team in NY.

I'm a HUGE Today Show fan, I'm afraid to admit it...but I think GMA has really gone to trash. They are a NEWS show and really need to refocus a little. I understand women viewers are important for morning shows, but it's also important that people get the news to start their day. If feel that the first 45 minutes need to be SOLID NEWS, that doesn't include the tons of crime stories (they aren't the Nancy Grace show). After 7:45 begin a slow transition to the light fluffy stuff, but make sure to include AT LEAST 2 news updates (like with Amy) during the 8 o'clock hour.

I'm a HUGE Today Show fan, I'm afraid to admit it...but I think GMA has really gone to trash. They are a NEWS show and really need to refocus a little. I understand women viewers are important for morning shows, but it's also important that people get the news to start their day. If feel that the first 45 minutes need to be SOLID NEWS, that doesn't include the tons of crime stories (they aren't the Nancy Grace show). After 7:45 begin a slow transition to the light fluffy stuff, but make sure to include AT LEAST 2 news updates (like with Amy) during the 8 o'clock hour.

Not to be rude but I have a really hard time listening to people who watch Today criticize GMA. The shows are essentially one in the same with different personalities. GMA's graphics are more flashy yes but they've always been. GMA went through a period of being more news driven and news focused and suffered one of their weakest periods in the shows history. Also GMA was created as the entertainment alternative to the news heavy Today so at the end of the day the show is staying true to it's fundamentals.

Not to be rude but I have a really hard time listening to people who watch Today criticize GMA. The shows are essentially one in the same with different personalities. GMA's graphics are more flashy yes but they've always been. GMA went through a period of being more news driven and news focused and suffered one of their weakest periods in the shows history. Also GMA was created as the entertainment alternative to the news heavy Today so at the end of the day the show is staying true to it's fundamentals.

Perfect response. Neither show has more news vs. entertainment, they are equally entertainment shows with news briefs throughout them.

GMA is a program that spent the first half of its entire existence being produced by the entertainment division of the network, and enjoyed it's best ratings during that period. Personally, I don't like how fluffy it's gotten, but a news-heavy focus isn't necessary for morning television. CBS gives that option, and I do check them out from time to time. I'm not a Today fan, but I'll also admit that they're beginning to put on a more solid broadcast. My main viewership still lies with WGN Morning News, but I was raised on Charlie and Diane, and still flip over to ABC very often.

As always, if you don't like it, don't watch, but stating the obvious doesn't help the matter or change anyone else's minds. Competition is good, and varied options across the morning landscape are great.

Competition is good, and varied options across the morning landscape are great.

Morning TV is great for everyone because there is a broadcast for everyone. CBS This Morning for harder news, Morning Joe for a discussion like broadcast, GMA/Today for entertainment, etc...

To quote you, I don't mean to be rude but your rudeness was out of line. I just simply posted my opinion on a forum, defined as "a place or opportunity for discussing a subject" by Merriam-Websters, after watching GMA in full this morning. I don't remember the last time I watched any morning show in full, so when I got the opportunity to I was extremely happy. Today and CBS This Morning have just as many or more things I'd like to change, I just voiced my opinion about GMA because it was freshest in my mind. (Side note- I agree with BehindNYnews)

To quote you, I don't mean to be rude but your rudeness was out of line. I just simply posted my opinion on a forum, defined as "a place or opportunity for discussing a subject" by Merriam-Websters, after watching GMA in full this morning. I don't remember the last time I watched any morning show in full, so when I got the opportunity to I was extremely happy. Today and CBS This Morning have just as many or more things I'd like to change, I just voiced my opinion about GMA because it was freshest in my mind. (Side note- I agree with BehindNYnews)

I think the point Morning News was trying to make was along the lines of "the pot calling the kettle black." The shows are so similar in their style, that it just seems a little weird that you claim to be a HUGE Today fan but are trashing GMA for their same style.