Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

46 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I like these moves a lot. Eva and Demarco have been great on GMA3 and Gio works really well with Whit and Janai.

ABC got this right.

Despite me pulling for Rhiannon, Eva is a decent choice. No surprise about DeMarco as he was always the male front runner. Good for Gio too.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mountainave said:

Disney is exploring the sale of its linear TV stations including ABC.  This does not include ESPN.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-ceo-iger-opens-door-to-unloading-tv-assets.html

No no no my 8 babies ABC O&Os are my best station group New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philly, Houston, San Fran, Raleigh-Durham are in the top 25, with Fresno in the 50s. Don't give them up a perfect combo they're a diverse group of DMA's. BOTH are all of them are legacies.

• Haha 1

Disney is exploring the sale of its linear TV stations including ABC.  This does not include ESPN.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-ceo-iger-opens-door-to-unloading-tv-assets.html

Don't give up ABC or any of the O&Os it isn't like Capital Cities is gonna rebuy them. That was the merger in the first place.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, mountainave said:

If this actually comes to fruition wouldn’t surprise me if Disney sells some of their stake in ESPN to whoever buys the other TV assets. The CNBC anrticle alludes to this potentiality.

Cable TV channel ESPN is in a different bucket, however. On that front, Iger said Disney is open to finding a strategic partner, which could take the form of a joint venture or offloading an ownership stake.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Also pictured: George Stephanopoulos slowly dying on the inside

This should last about as long as "Dandy", the New York Yankees' attempt at employing a mascot from over 40 years ago.

Remember this? I didn't think so. Not that a team like the Yankees needed a mascot to begin with...

Dandy_001_12.jpg?format=2500w

But Good Morning America has done something like this before. I recall when they started using "You Gotta Be", the song by one-hit wonder Des'ree as an unofficial theme. I don't think that lasted very long either. 

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

Meteorologist Rob Marciano is leaving GMA Weekend. He'll still work for ABC, and will be succeeded by Somara Theodore.

https://tvline.com/news/rob-marciano-leaving-good-morning-america-weekend-edition-meteriologist-1235042885/

Edited by Action Newsroom

• 1 month later...

That sucks but I could see it coming a few years ago when they eliminated most views of TS on the set. Both GMA and WABC are seemingly obstructing views of their set on and off screen.

TS and the Lincoln Center areas are going to feel like voids without those two there.

47 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I was in the second-floor studio's audience a couple times in the years before its axing; I was excited to go (after peeking in the first floor windows every time I visit NYC) and had a blast each time (I even got to meet Robin and George after the show wrapped). So yeah, while I can't wait for the new set and era in Hudson Square to come, it really will be an end of a era onTimes Square that will be remembered fondly by many (me included).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MorningNews said:

TS and the Lincoln Center areas are going to feel like voids without those two there.

I wouldn’t say that. Times Square is a destination in and of itself, and Lincoln Square is home to both the Juilliard School and Lincoln Center.

It sucks that those areas are both losing a longtime presence, but it also makes sense for Disney/ABC to have all their NY operations under one roof.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I wouldn’t say that. Times Square is a destination in and of itself, and Lincoln Square is home to both the Juilliard School and Lincoln Center.

It sucks that those areas are both losing a longtime presence, but it also makes sense for Disney/ABC to have all their NY operations under one roof.

Agreed. A majority of people going to Times Square are NOT going to see the Good Morning America studio and a majority don’t even realize that’s where Good Morning America is. 

WABC is also not an attraction in Lincoln Square. Lincoln Center is the main attraction.  The street side WABC studio is kind of cool walk by for some, most others don’t even care or know that it exists there. I’m sure the local residents and business owners will miss seeing the staff from ABC and WABC each day, but that’s about it. 

• Like 5

The writing has been on the wall for years.  GMA has (unfortunately, in my opinion) been using less and less of its Times Square backyard.  It was once upon a time a focal point of the show with the windows open behind the anchor desk, frequent camera shots of TS, and regular segments outside.  Given that this has all been mostly eliminated, there's frankly no reason to continue renting what is highly-valuable real estate.  They could build a studio in the middle of nowhere and produce the show in its current format.

• Like 7

The writing has been on the wall for years.  GMA has (unfortunately, in my opinion) been using less and less of its Times Square backyard.  It was once upon a time a focal point of the show with the windows open behind the anchor desk, frequent camera shots of TS, and regular segments outside.  Given that this has all been mostly eliminated, there's frankly no reason to continue renting what is highly-valuable real estate.  They could build a studio in the middle of nowhere and produce the show in its current format.

Times Sq has become a strong part of the GMA identity, but agreed that GMA and Today have been using their outdoor audiences less and less.

If CBS Mornings is still around in 2025, they need to really capitalize off of the Times Square brand now.

• Like 1