Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

1 hour ago, tvtime07 said:

Kim dropped the ball on 2 scandals. This one and Whoopi’s. In both cases, the talent was able to host their show the day after the mishap. In both cases, all should have been off their shows the following day. Technically Amy and TJ scandal was dying down until they “suspended” them. That caused the story to get even more ridiculous. 

Another point I would like to mention is…the focus was only on TJ from the beginning and not Amy. It was best that ABC got rid of them both because the optics and backlashed ABC would have gotten if they let TJ go and kept Amy would’ve have been worse. However, this is the perfect opportunity for CNN, hell even CBS to try and scoop them up.

Edited by 24994J

11 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Josh Elliott had a great thing going with GMA before he went to NBC, then CBS, then...what is he even doing now?

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Popularity in one place doesn't always translate to another. Michael Strahan is lucky his popularity with Kelly is working out on GMA. I wonder what prompted them to add him as a main anchor assuming that the show was still beating Today at the time?

NBC poaching Josh Elliott was probably intended to deal a blow to GMA, but --unfortunately-- it's still the number one morning show. 

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Popularity in one place doesn't always translate to another. Michael Strahan is lucky his popularity with Kelly is working out on GMA. I wonder what prompted them to add him as a main anchor assuming that the show was still beating Today at the time?

NBC poaching Josh Elliott was probably intended to deal a blow to GMA, but --unfortunately-- it's still the number one morning show. 

What’s unfortunate about it for anyone but NBC?

Michael’s promotion to GMA was a directive by Robin IIRC and an attempt to assemble a more dynamic cast after the departure of Sam and Josh and the failed experiments of Tony Reali and Jesse Palmer. At one point the lineup was Robin, George, Amy, Lara and Ginger which while each incredibly strong in their own regards is not a particularly dynamic ensemble. 

ABC has somehow made the Michael appointment work really well. He’s still by far the weakest of the ensemble but somehow it works. Robin and George have also become a classic duo. Amy was a perfect fit for the show as well and TJ made a lot of sense too. Losing those two and Cecilia is going to be a tall task to rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

What’s unfortunate about it for anyone but NBC?

Michael’s promotion to GMA was a directive by Robin IIRC and an attempt to assemble a more dynamic cast after the departure of Sam and Josh and the failed experiments of Tony Reali and Jesse Palmer. At one point the lineup was Robin, George, Amy, Lara and Ginger which while each incredibly strong in their own regards is not a particularly dynamic ensemble. 

ABC has somehow made the Michael appointment work really well. He’s still by far the weakest of the ensemble but somehow it works. Robin and George have also become a classic duo. Amy was a perfect fit for the show as well and TJ made a lot of sense too. Losing those two and Cecilia is going to be a tall task to rebuild.

Its unfortunate in my opinion that GMA's excessively tabloid brand of "shocking breaking video" journalism remains at the top of the AM ratings, which means the show will stay the way it is for the forseeable future.

Michael brings a good energy but he might be better suited as a sports/feature anchor than a main co-anchor. Part of that however would fall into Lara's role.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Its unfortunate in my opinion that GMA's excessively tabloid brand of "shocking breaking video" journalism remains at the top of the AM ratings, which means the show will stay the way it is for the forseeable future.

Not trying to challenge your opinion but I’ve never really understood this take considering the alternatives are the equally sensational Today Show and to a lesser extent, a CBS program.

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Not trying to challenge your opinion but I’ve never really understood this take considering the alternatives are the equally sensational Today Show and to a lesser extent, a CBS program.

In all fairness all newscasts sensatonalize to a degree, especially in the mornings. Today is just as bad but their news product is slightly better.

CBS Mornings but moreso CBS This Morning had more news value, and even their fluff pieces were more informative. You'd get real sit down conversations with authors, athletes, creators and experts. CBS Mornings and the old CTM feels less dumbed down than GMA and less rushed than Today.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 24994J said:

There are many directions the network could go with the GMA3 slot, with merely an official host change naturally being the most likely. Let's keep the speculation to a minimum. An uncited rumor about an 80-year-old comedian moving to that hour is not necessary to post. Legitimate publications only, please.

I don't understand why someone's age was part of this comment. Let's see you (or any of us for that matter) do live television five days a week at 80 years old. The way the original post was written seemed a bit snarky to me. I hope that wasn't the intention. 

By the way, this story about Joy Behar was first published by Radar Online https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ambitious-joy-behar-eyeing-amy-robach-s-gma-job-as-abc-scrambles-to-find-replacement-after-t-j-holmes-affair-scandal/ar-AA16Xbwo An ABC rep has denied the story. I agree that there are many directions ABC News could go with this show. But I would be surprised if they went opinion heavy. ABC News already has that...it is called The View. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

I don't understand why someone's age was part of this comment. Let's see you (or any of us for that matter) do live television five days a week at 80 years old. The way the original post was written seemed a bit snarky to me. I hope that wasn't the intention. 

By the way, this story about Joy Behar was first published by Radar Online https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ambitious-joy-behar-eyeing-amy-robach-s-gma-job-as-abc-scrambles-to-find-replacement-after-t-j-holmes-affair-scandal/ar-AA16Xbwo An ABC rep has denied the story. I agree that there are many directions ABC News could go with this show. But I would be surprised if they went opinion heavy. ABC News already has that...it is called The View. 

Because they want stability, and an 80-yr old isn’t gonna provide that. And a matter of correction, she works 4 days a week, as she has Mondays off.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Because they want stability, and an 80-yr old isn’t gonna provide that. And a matter of correction, she works 4 days a week, as she has Mondays off.

It's also a news-focused program. If we were still in the Michael/Keke/Sara days, no brainer, go ahead and have Joy come in (not that any of those three had any scandals at all so this wouldn't even be happening without a pandemic forcing them off). But unless the only thing she's hosting is a "Joy's World" opinion segment or Steals & Deals...no, you don't want a comedian hosting a news show.

Demarco Morgan deserves the job, meanwhile. Been following him since his WISN days. Pay the man his due and let him lead a network show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

It's also a news-focused program. If we were still in the Michael/Keke/Sara days, no brainer, go ahead and have Joy come in (not that any of those three had any scandals at all so this wouldn't even be happening without a pandemic forcing them off). But unless the only thing she's hosting is a "Joy's World" opinion segment or Steals & Deals...no, you don't want a comedian hosting a news show.

Demarco Morgan deserves the job, meanwhile. Been following him since his WISN days. Pay the man his due and let him lead a network show.

My only issue with Demarco is he doesn’t seem to stay anywhere long. Not good if you’re grooming someone to eventually take over the mothership GMA. And not only does he not stay long, he’s been at all three networks on some level. Doesn’t scream loyalty either. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I stand corrected. Thanks @TVNewsLover, I was unaware of her schedule. I totally agree with you that age of the host is a consideration when analyzing the long-term viability of a program. But that was not what the person who first mentioned age appeared to be saying. That person's post was, I believe, intended to shut down what they called "uncited rumors" and in that course mentioned someone was 80. The age thing just seemed out of place in that context. 

4 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

I stand corrected. Thanks @TVNewsLover, I was unaware of her schedule. I totally agree with you that age of the host is a consideration when analyzing the long-term viability of a program. But that was not what the person who first mentioned age appeared to be saying. That person's post was, I believe, intended to shut down what they called "uncited rumors" and in that course mentioned someone was 80. The age thing just seemed out of place in that context. 

My apologies for not fully explaining myself. That said, I'm not sure what you could've got from my statement that's any more nefarious than another user suggesting that an 80YO might not provide stability...which is exactly what I meant. Let's face it, a person at such an age has a far greater likelihood of suddenly becoming "unavailable" to host the program than almost any other candidate being considered. If that makes any of us ageist for suggesting that, then so be it.

As for calling it an uncited rumor, the poster that brought it up didn't include any article suggesting Behar's aspirations. It's not anyone else's job to go hunting for such a headline to back up someone else's post, which at first glance, sounds kind of crazy. The user should've linked to it. The notion of Joy, with zero legitimate news experience, whose political leanings have been on display for decades, moving to anchor a news program, is more than a little out there.

If Gibson (almost 80) or Sawyer (77) announced they were returning to everyday GMA, I'd raise an eyebrow. If a politically-charged comedian (Oliver? Stewart? That type) announced their desire to get into straight news, I'd raise the other eyebrow. It's the combination of her age, paired with her lacking credentials, that makes this a bizarre idea that the network shouldn't even give a second thought to.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

My only issue with Demarco is he doesn’t seem to stay anywhere long. Not good if you’re grooming someone to eventually take over the mothership GMA. And not only does he not stay long, he’s been at all three networks on some level. Doesn’t scream loyalty either. 

This screams more 'a vacant white dude convinced the brass to get the promotion over him', or a bench with too much talent already (thus him being behind T.J.), rather than his talent being overlooked. I can't blame him; if a company doesn't respect his talent, he can go elsewhere, and that's something to respect.

8 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

This screams more 'a vacant white dude convinced the brass to get the promotion over him', or a bench with too much talent already (thus him being behind T.J.), rather than his talent being overlooked. I can't blame him; if a company doesn't respect his talent, he can go elsewhere, and that's something to respect.

… except that’s not what happened in any of his past employment situations at all. He was not passed on for promotions, and in most situations had positions most people work much longer to achieve. 

To me it seems like they have settled on DeMarco and Rhiannon and it's just a matter of making it official. I don't think the possibility of him leaving in say 3-4 yrs. should disqualify him from getting the job permanently.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MorningNews said:

One has to wonder about Whit Johnson and Eva Pilgrim. Are the weekend editions of GMA more notable jobs than GMA3? During Amy and TJ I’d say yes, in whatever it becomes the answer is likely no. 

14 hours ago, 24994J said:

Before DeMarco & Rhiannon, remember the first week of the suspension was hosted by Stephanie Ramos and Gio Benitez. I feel like either of them might be in the mix, as well.

I think they would want to keep things stable (with DeMarco & Rhiannon) rather than have a revolving door of people coming in to 'try out.' Plus, I don't think moving people (Whit, Gio, etc...) from their current assignments is the best idea either. Best to leave things as is.

While GMA3 is a high profile spot, that doesn't mean whomever anchors that show is the heir apparent for Robin and George. I think that notion died when Robach and Holmes were cut loose. 

I could be wrong, but that's how i see it.

Just bring back All My Children and be done with it. Susan Lucci hinted of a possible reboot recently as a proposed project by Kelly Rippa and husband Mark Consuelos. I miss the New York soaps. Don't know why we need Good Morning America in the afternoon.

• Like 2