Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Why is it so inconceivable that GMA and their brand of family-friendly wholesomeness (whether the show has become a joke or not as of late) would want to distance themselves from a rather un-family friendly scandal? It’s not even a debate on their morals or judgement as two consenting adults, it’s about assessing a reputational risk for the show’s brand. 

As a reminder, your employer likely has certain standards that you must abide by or risk discipline. Some of these may not be objectively immoral or criminal, but still pose a reputational / branding risk. Think about how many times we’ve seen people be fired for their social posts or an unflattering viral video.

• Like 1

If any of what has most recently been reported about TJ — the alleged relationship with the script coordinator/intern/subordinate, sexual encounters with her in his office and drinking alcohol in his office prior to going on air — is true, then I would agree that ABC absolutely has the right to terminate him for cause. 

As for Amy, I still do not see grounds for  termination unless she knew of the sexual misconduct and failed to report it. 

10 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The headline makes a point of saying the intern was 24, which is old enough to make your own decisions. TJ aside, I notice we're infantalizing 21+ year olds alot these days. I'm sure their stunted independece (living at home, having children & marrying later due to the economy) plays a big role this growing image. 24 isn't as smart as you'll ever be, but it's certainly agebale enough to decide wether or not you want to sleep with a married co-worker, mentor, superior or whatever position. 

https://nypost.com/

Indeed! Unless she had some sort of mental disability, which I highly doubt, she had an idea of what she got herself into when started relations with a married man. You're old enough at 24 to make a choice, it takes two to tango. 

Yeah, it's not looking too good for TJ with the series of alleged relationships he had during his time at ABC. DeMarco Morgan seems to be his eventual replacement.

I still do think that TJ and Amy can make waves with their own hour at CNN, they definitely have chemistry on-air that could make it an interesting and dynamic hour on television. It would definitely bring eyeballs to CNN. 

• Thanks 1

The issue in the newest allegations is not a matter of age and whether someone is adult enough to consent. The issue is a sexual relationship allegedly occurring between someone in a position of power and a subordinate, and allegations that sexual encounters took place on company property inside the office of the person in power. Even if that was fully consensual and the subordinate felt no pressure to engage in the relationship, that is a relationship that must be disclosed. 

In the case of TJ and Amy, neither are subordinates to the other, so there is no issue there. 

I have been fully supportive of TJ and Amy returning to air and ABC moving on from this. If the latest allegations are true, whether in part or in whole, then ABC should terminate TJ for cause and without any buyout offer.  

Unless Amy knew of the prior relationship with the subordinate and failed to report it, then I don’t see how ABC has a case to terminate her for cause, but do understand having her just sign a separation agreement with a buyout. 

It’s really unfortunate for both of them. Surely, they were both being eyed as the future of Good Morning America. 

• Like 2

I agree that if TJ was engaged in any form of relationship with a subordinate, direct or indirect, and didn't disclose it, that -- in combination with his multiple other workplace affairs -- taken together are grounds for termination.  Regardless of the age of the subordinate, there is an inherent power dynamic in the workplace between a person in a position of power and a subordinate that justifies the reporting requirements most employers have.  

Separately, with the departures of Tom Llamas and now Cecilia Vega, the increasingly likely termination of Holmes, and the questionable future of Robach, ABC's talent bench has taken a major hit. That's a serious setback for a network's talent development.  That leaves Linsey Davis and Whit Johnson as major players for now.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 10:47 AM, mountainave said:

That leaves Linsey Davis and Whit Johnson as major players for now.

Lindsey Davis is a rising star, taking on Sunday's, ABC News Live Lead anchor, an ABC News Radio Iconic announcer for its time slot at 5pm. She's Definitely second in command to David give it 20 years she'll have the Anchor & Managing Editor role on ABC World News Tonight as she is younger than David. Whit Johnson looks good as the face at the mornings he good there, he be a great successor to George Stephanopolus if he were to step down and retire. But I see more in Lindsey because she a calming, soothing, voice but very commanding at times. Though she is good on Good Morning America also. But if ABC plays there cards right and doesn't screw her over she can ascend to WNT, because she has that kinda hunger to threaten to leave the network if passed over or isn't even considered for something.

• Concerned 1

21 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

She's Definitely second in command to David give it 20 years she'll have the Anchor & Managing Editor role on ABC World News Tonight as she is younger than David.

She's only 4 years younger than him. In 20 years, her viability as a legitimate successor will have long passed, unless she succeeds Robin, and becomes enough of a legend to move to evenings in her 60s, like Gibson or Sawyer.

I'll bet the field over her.

• Like 1

Who's to say David would want to anchor WNT for another 20+ years? Keep in mind that this year will mark David's 20th anniversary with ABC so I won't rule out him wanted to step back and take on a different role in 10-12 years.

The lost of Vega (and the possible lost of Robach and Holmes) does throw a bit of a wrench in things. Nevertheless, GMA and WNT are doing quite well in the ratings, so I wouldn't worry too much about the future of ABC News.   

13 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Those are significant losses for the network. I’m hoping Amy stays on but I’d also like to see them elevate Rachel Scott, Will Reeve, Gio Benitez profiles. I enjoy each of them as fill-ins as well as Whit and Janai. 

Rachel Scott was recently promoted to Senior Congressional Correspondent.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/abc-news-promotes-rachel-scott-to-senior-congressional-correspondent/522209/

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/01/13/tj-holmes-amy-robach-lawyer-up-abc-investigation-relationship-gma/

I'm surprised this angle hasn't been analyzed here yet, but TMZ is reporting that TJ Holmes' lawyers could launch a racism lawsuit if he or Amy is terminated. I was surprised it took this long for the black man in trouble for sleeping with white woman optics to come in to play in this case.

Edited by iron_lion

9 hours ago, iron_lion said:

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/01/13/tj-holmes-amy-robach-lawyer-up-abc-investigation-relationship-gma/

I'm surprised this angle hasn't been analyzed here yet, but TMZ is reporting that TJ Holmes' lawyers could launch a racism lawsuit if he or Amy is terminated. I was surprised it took this long for the black man in trouble for sleeping with white woman optics to come in to play in this case.

I think the reason this angle wasn’t brought up is because it’s not a legitimate argument/defense. They’re really grasping at straws trying to make race an issue here.

While ABC has made missteps by not clearly stating why they were pulled and what the next steps are; there is enough evidence, imo,  to warrant why a deeper inquiry needed to take place and why they were pulled off the air.

As far as Robach and Holmes is concerned; the damage to their reputations was caused by them. They’re acting like being divorced, serial adulterers is some kind of badge of honor. It is not. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I wonder what happens to GMA3 from here. The current form started with updates about the pandemic. I wonder if they bring back Strahan and Sara.

I know people were discussing potential lawsuits. I know Amy's had cancer in the past and with both having an interracial relationship, if that could mean something as well.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I wonder what happens to GMA3 from here. The current form started with updates about the pandemic. I wonder if they bring back Strahan and Sara.

I know people were discussing potential lawsuits. I know Amy's had cancer in the past and with both having an interracial relationship, if that could mean something as well.

Very doubtful.

What a shame. I loved Amy on GMA. Her and TJ are complete morons for this.

2 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Ratings haven’t slipped in their absence. I don’t see any indication that ABC wouldn’t just continue GMA3 with new faces. 

Rhiannon and Demarco are a formidable pairing.

• Like 2

I don't think many of us expected this outcome when this all came to light. Perhaps it was a result of some of the additional information they uncovered, but I have a feeling a lot of the reason they are out is the way TJ and Amy reacted. It seems as if they went to war with ABC and that's never helpful if your goal is to stay employed there. Plus they seemed to lack any ounce of discretion. Fairly or unfairly, they became too big of a story.

• Like 1

They are both good anchors but their future is now in cable news only at least for several years since the broadcast networks will not touch them. I wonder if their buyout of their contract will still have a non complete clause for a year or so. Amy should have stayed with NBC News Group. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I don't think many of us expected this outcome when this all came to light. Perhaps it was a result of some of the additional information they uncovered, but I have a feeling a lot of the reason they are out is the way TJ and Amy reacted. It seems as if they went to war with ABC and that's never helpful if your goal is to stay employed there. Plus they seemed to lack any ounce of discretion. Fairly or unfairly, they became too big of a story.

Yup, that’s exactly what it was. I can understand the argument that the personal lives of news anchors, no matter how unpleasant, should be kept personal. The problem is that TJ and Amy were doing everything not to keep it personal. That’s too much of a headache for ABC’s liking.