Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Speaking in generalities...

IMO: A consensual relationship with your co-worker (given that both of you are single) is messy but not morally wrong. The problem becomes an awkward work environment if the relationship ends. 

This might be unpopular but dare I say it: 

A boss and their subordinate having a consensual relationship is also messy --and should be avoided -- but isn't morally wrong either, given that the subordinate is not being granted unearned work privileges and that the boss doesn't try to retaliate if the relationship ends badly.  It's best to avoid s$&/$ing  where you eat as the saying goes, but life happens.

As someone pointed out earlier, this will be buried in the news cycle in the next 2 to 3 weeks, and ABC should probably weather through the storm rather than overreact. Let's hope nothing nefarious on either Holmes or Robach's parts comes out in the next few weeks. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

I was supportive of them remaining on air once the additional details came out that this wasn’t nearly as salacious as the tabloids made it. But this is becoming a huge distraction and depending on how it shakes out could do damage to GMA’s brand strength. Based on my entirely unscientific estimates, TJ has fallen way out of people’s good graces. My girlfriend, my mom and social media all informing my hypothesis lol.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

It sounds like they're going to take Amy and T.J. off the air until the distraction blows over. As I mentioned earlier, it is likely not a violation of company policy, just unwanted attention.

TMZ actually reported that today, and they also said that Amy & T.J. were made aware of that decision this morning.

The story I read even has quotes from ABC News President Kim Godwin on the subject (supposedly, these quotes were from an editorial meeting at ABC News this morning).

Unfortunately, I don’t have the link, but if you Google “TMZ Holmes Robach,” it should be one of the first stories that come up…..

On 12/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, J1975am said:

TMZ actually reported that today, and they also said that Amy & T.J. were made aware of that decision this morning.

The story I read even has quotes from ABC News President Kim Godwin on the subject (supposedly, these quotes were from an editorial meeting at ABC News this morning).

Unfortunately, I don’t have the link, but if you Google “TMZ Holmes Robach,” it should be one of the first stories that come up…..

Per Page Six, Gio Benitez and Stephanie Ramos will be filling for the rest of the week & that this was not T.J.'s first affair at the network. 

https://pagesix.com/2022/12/05/gma3-airs-without-t-j-holmes-amy-robach-amid-alleged-affair/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

TJ needs to go as he's becoming a bigger distraction with all the crap that's come out involving him.

I’m sort of surprised that having an affair with two married coworkers while being married yourself doesn’t violate a morality clause of some sort, especially since this is Disney we’re talking about. That said, as reprehensible as TJ or Amy may be in their personal lives, I’m not sure firing them would be a good precedent for the rest of the company.

Even though TJ may have had a habit of $h*—ing where he ate, his relationships were consensual, and unless ABC has an explicit “no fraternization” policy, I’m don’t think they’d have any justification for firing him. Same goes for Amy.

EDIT: Kim Godwin herself stated that TJ’s actions were “not a violation of company policy,” so ABC would have no justification for firing him.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

This is unwanted attention, an unncesary distraction, and disheartening for the spouces involved. Lets be fair though. People in every day jobs mess around with their coworkers. This is only a big deal because the parties involved work on TV and have the media exacerbating their liaison.

The other outlets might want to tread carefully and be self reflective regaurding workplace gossip. As the mutiple scandals in pervious years have showed us, alot of news agencies have skeletons in their closets.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:36 PM, CLETVFan said:

Could all of the drama coming out with TJ lead to sexual harassment accusations?

This may follow the usual pattern. This one scandal will suddenly open the door for a multitude of allegations about numerous things from people who were quiet for years. 

On 12/6/2022 at 7:20 PM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m sort of surprised that having an affair with two married coworkers while being married yourself doesn’t violate a morality clause of some sort, especially since this is Disney we’re talking about. 

We're talking alot about morality clauses and Disney. Let's not forget Disney owned ABC is the same network that aired Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder and other raunchy shows, not to mention General Hospital on right after in most markets, lol.  I'm sure a decent swath of the public doesn't even know that ABC is owned by Disney to make that brand connection.

It reminds me of when Paul Pierce was fired from ESPN for that considerably mild video where strippers were walking in the background as it "wasn't a good look" for a Disney company employee. This despite the majority of ESPN's audience being men, many of whom are watching in barbershops and bars, (who probably wouldn't mind) given the conversations that occur in those spaces. 

Overall, a company has a right to tell its employees to be careful of what they do on their personal time, as not to negatively affect the company's image. But, like this case, everything doesn't require disciplinary action.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

All ABC has done by sidelining the couple is create even more of a distraction and prolong the length of time this is a tabloid story. After benching the two,  they’ve also now drawn the attention of media beyond Page Six, TMZ  and ET with reports on this in the last few days from every major newspaper and network news division.…..heck, even we are still talking about it.

Had they left them on air and let their private lives play our privately, this would be a non-story by now and most of us would have moved on. 

Really surprised by ABC’s decision. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dpb said:

It would have remained a story, no matter what ABC's decision was.

If they still anchored together, every interaction would be scrutinized leading to many new tabloid stories.

yes - tabloid stories not major coverage from NYT, WaPo, NBC, CBS, FOX, USA Today, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, etc.

They are all now following the story only after ABC suddenly pulled them

from the air following 2 days of them anchoring without coverage from major media. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I wonder if there may be more happening behind the scenes for ABC to have taken them off the air after having a few days to look into this last week and over the weekend.

Something tells me that management was caught off guard about Holmes' 'relationship' with another ABC News employee (a former GMA producer) that they felt that a deeper investigation, if you will, needed to happen. Plus, someone likely voiced a concern about the two, for whatever reason, that forced management to pull them.

We likely won't know anything (and probably shouldn't) so it's just a waiting game at this point. I will say that Stephanie Ramos and DeMarco Morgan (who's first day with ABC News was yesterday I believe) seem to be a pretty good pair from what i saw briefly yesterday and today.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jase said:

Something tells me that management was caught off guard about Holmes' 'relationship' with another ABC News employee (a former GMA producer) that they felt that a deeper investigation, if you will, needed to happen. Plus, someone likely voiced a concern about the two, for whatever reason, that force management to pull them.

We likely won't know anything (and probably shouldn't) so it's just a waiting game at this point. I will say that Stephanie Ramos and DeMarco Morgan (who's first day with ABC News was yesterday I believe) seem to be a pretty good pair from what i saw briefly yesterday and today.

DeMarco started in early November.

25 minutes ago, kshow said:

DeMarco started in early November.

The guy (can’t recall his name) who reads the news headlines welcomed him to the ABC News family yesterday so I assumed that was DeMarco’s first day on-air.

I can't explain the decision to bench them anymore than anyone else, but this went all the way to the level of Bob Iger, who's now back as Disney's CEO, so it was not made with haste. I'm certain they consulted with PR & Public Affairs, and knew the likelihood of external media attention.  As I've previously said, I agree that relationships between non-subordinate colleagues are private matters so long as they don't become workplace matters. Godwin acknowledged that their behavior (as it is currently known) did not violate any policies.  Still, it sounds like this became a serious workplace distraction once the affair was brought to light which is itself an issue executives must deal with as well.  Moreover, Holmes and Robach surely had to meet with HR, Godwin, and perhaps others at the company, all of which is time consuming and distracting if you're also preparing for and hosting a show the same day. There may also be more to the story that we don't know, and the decision to bench for a few days may have also been a "warning shot" to Robach and Holmes to mind their behavior.

All in all, many possibilities, but ABC is not the JV team and I'm willing to believe there was a fair rationale for the decision.  They were not terminated.  It would not surprise me to see them back on air on Monday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mountainave said:

I can't explain the decision to bench them anymore than anyone else, but this went all the way to the level of Bob Iger, who's now back as Disney's CEO, so it was not made with haste. I'm certain they consulted with PR & Public Affairs, and knew the likelihood of external media attention.  As I've previously said, I agree that relationships between non-subordinate colleagues are private matters so long as they don't become workplace matters. Godwin acknowledged that their behavior (as it is currently known) did not violate any policies.  Still, it sounds like this became a serious workplace distraction once the affair was brought to light which is itself an issue executives must deal with as well.  Moreover, Holmes and Robach surely had to meet with HR, Godwin, and perhaps others at the company, all of which is time consuming and distracting if you're also preparing for and hosting a show the same day. There may also be more to the story that we don't know, and the decision to bench for a few days may have also been a "warning shot" to Robach and Holmes to mind their behavior.

All in all, many possibilities, but ABC is not the JV team and I'm willing to believe there was a fair rationale for the decision.  They were not terminated.  It would not surprise me to see them back on air on Monday.

Yeah, it looks like Disney is playing it safe, taking their time to see if anything else comes out and making sure company policies weren't violated.

Again, I go back to the Joe Scarborough/ Mika Brzezinski situation and how they've been able to continue on. 

At the same time, this type of buzz has brought GMA3 to the forefront, the media can't stop talking about it. Disney execs have to realize that they are chartering new territory and must realize that this relationship is going to be part of the dynamics of the program going forward; if TJ and Amy are indeed falling in love, that kind of energy will indeed bring in viewers. Morning news viewers will eat this up.

If anything, if Disney decides they can't take distractions, TJ and Amy are perfect for CNN, give them some sort of show with them together in primetime, it would bring in eyeballs and interest and bring relevance to the network. 

Edited by tvtime07

I don’t see a situation where ABC gets rid of both, if anyone is at risk it’s T.J. for his propensity for banging colleagues. Even then, that seems like an unlikelihood. Were the dynamics of this any other than two seemingly happily married colleagues slyly messing around (basically has Dailymail not blasted it as an affair) then I think GMA milks this romance for all it’s worth. GMA3 is likely but I don’t see the two of them back on main GMA together though it’s anyone’s guess.