Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Days like today are when GMA3 is pretty weak. Significant implications from the SCOTUS decision on Roe v Wade and they’re airing an encore presentation of a recent episode dedicated to cooking. Any and TJ anchored GMA this morning too.

I’d love for ABC to find a way to make GMA 3 consecutive hours. The show has been performing pretty strongly lately coming in at #1 and beating the 4th hour of Today and other competition. 

Kelly & Ryan is cleared in the 9am hour on too many ABC affiliates belong to different owners with different contracts. That’s one hurdle. The next hurdle is then getting affiliates to give the 9am hour to the network. 

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

Didn't that get rumored once and caused one of the infamous Kelly Ripa freak outs?

Ripa was upset that Disney/ABC and Michael Strahan came to a deal to move him full time to Good Morning America and didn’t inform her until hours before they issued a press release. “Live” makes too much money for Disney/ABC and their flagship station for them to tinker with moving it or canceling it in favor of Good Morning America. 

What actually was under consideration at one point was Regis and Kathie Lee replacing Good Morning America in part or in full. This was in the late 90s after GMA ratings nosedived when execs made the decision to replace Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden with Kevin Newman and Lisa McRee, and before they decided to bring back Gibson and pair him with Diane Sawyer.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Days like today are when GMA3 is pretty weak. Significant implications from the SCOTUS decision on Roe v Wade and they’re airing an encore presentation of a recent episode dedicated to cooking. Any and TJ anchored GMA this morning too.

The fact that Amy and TJ anchored GMA is probably the reason an encore cooking show aired. GMA3 uses the same studio crew as GMA and its taped shortly after GMA goes off the air. My guess is that Amy and TJ were doing GMA for the West Coast. I'm not sure who anchored the supreme court coverage for ABC or how long it lasted but those two were probably either part of the Special Report or focused on producing an up-to-date West Coast show. 

2 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

The fact that Amy and TJ anchored GMA is probably the reason an encore cooking show aired. GMA3 uses the same studio crew as GMA and its taped shortly after GMA goes off the air. My guess is that Amy and TJ were doing GMA for the West Coast. I'm not sure who anchored the supreme court coverage for ABC or how long it lasted but those two were probably either part of the Special Report or focused on producing an up-to-date West Coast show. 

David Muir anchored for ABC interrupting the 7:30-8:30 hour of Good Morning America on the west coast. 

They’ve always filmed GMA3 even on days where they both filled in on the main show. My point is that oftentimes the show’s news segment includes outdated news since it’s filmed at 9am and aired at 1pm. Most days it’s not so glaring but on days like today it’s a huge weakness and I’m always surprised that they just go with it. /rant over

• Like 1

ABC News’ press release for GMA3 (which was issued at the end of the previous week) had listed Thursday as a “wrap show” (i.e., a show with repeat or previously recorded segments) and Friday as a regular show. This was probably because the of the previously scheduled January 6 committee hearing that would have preempted the show in many markets, but the hearings were moved back to 3:00 pm EDT.

It looks like Friday’s planned show was swapped with Thursday’s (either a mistake on the release or a change due to changes in the hearings schedule). They may have even originally intended to tape the show on a Thursday to be aired on Friday. 

Summer Friday afternoon ratings tend to skew lower for daytime programs. A highlight show vs. a “live” show probably doesn’t make a significant difference for the ratings and it’s a way to save on production costs. True, it seems like a miss not having them cover significant breaking stories, but between ABC News Live and Special Reports (as needed) it feels like they have things sufficiently covered if viewers want to follow the stories. 

And, heads up, this coming Friday is scheduled to be a wrap show, too. 😜

Edited by lovethenews

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I’m a big fan of how GMA has been ending the show on days with musical guests by letting the interview close out the program rather than rushing an interview for an ad break just to come back for a 10 second sign off.

Gotta the ad revenue some how!

On 6/24/2022 at 1:41 PM, MorningNews said:

I’d love for ABC to find a way to make GMA 3 consecutive hours. The show has been performing pretty strongly lately coming in at #1 and beating the 4th hour of Today and other competition. 

I think part of GMA's strength is that it's just two hours (consecutively) and not long and drawn out like 'Today'. I wish their NBC counterpart would just cut it to two hours.

As much just disdain as I have for the news quality of GMA, they do occasionally have some good lifestyle and out of studio segments compared to Today. Plus their anchor team is stronger than Today's. Amy and TJ are also solid fill-ins and future anchors. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daybreak said:

Well that sucks. Hoping Rob can get the privacy and his family can have the privacy they need and that he can return to the GMA team when he’s ready.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 5:58 AM, JoseRM303 said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/9/4/robin-roberts-stepping-away-from-gma

Robin is stepping away from GMA to spend time with her partner who just finished up cancer treatments. No word on her return or who will sit in her seat in the interim. 

She been gone for awhile I think it was over the sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Morning America used the 2015-2017 opening music today for the main intro. Headlines bed remained the current theme but the intro was the older theme. Wonder if that was intentional or just a mistake as the weekend show moved back to TV3 today for the first time in a few weeks. 

21 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Good Morning America used the 2015-2017 opening music today for the main intro. Headlines bed remained the current theme but the intro was the older theme. Wonder if that was intentional or just a mistake as the weekend show moved back to TV3 today for the first time in a few weeks. 

The weekday edition of GMA using the regular current theme today.. Guess the Sunday open was a glitch. 

• 3 weeks later...