Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Do you think Lara Spencer is going to leave or get let go from GMA. Cutting her would make sense since she's only on 3 days a week and TJ and Amy can do her spot, files reports and fill in for the main anchors. Cutting her would save money for ABC and won't lose that much viewership.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:57 AM, noggi said:

You're asking if anyone watches the morning show that happens to have the most total viewers? (Today wins narrowly in some demos). 

They must be doing something right... it's almost as if a majority of viewers don't care about news and would rather wake up to something softer and more digestible. 

I don't think GMA is all that great of a news/entertainment program anymore --- neither is modern Today. GMA's news product feels hard to sit through as half their stories go beyond the typically hyperbole. Basically, Inside Edition Lite.

The only reason I suppose GMA is still number one is because ABC has strong local stations. The Robin/George/Lara/Josh/Sam period was strong. The addition of Strahan (however unnecessary) has as made their anchor line up even more recognizable. GMA is better at pop and out of studio segments like when they went to a school to promote Abbott elementary.

Edit: To me, GMA has stronger personalities. Michael and  especially TJ have great energy. Add them to George as the hard news man and Robin who's a great bridge between the serious and light stuff. 

Today however is better at news and feature stories, but it hasn't fully recovered from the Ann Curry debacle. The program has been significantly dumbed down since the fourth hour was added, even more so following Meredith and Ann's departures. Katie Couric said it herself in her biography: the hard news segments got shorter and true crime stories increasingly appeared in the 7:00 hour.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Very subtle updates to GMA’s first floor set including a new floating screen on the window that used to be homebase years ago. 

Debuted last week. I originally thought it was a temporary setup to hide more work on the on the first floor (ABC had all but eliminated seamed video walls in previous updates of both studio TV-3 and Times Square Studios), but I think it might be permanent. They hadn’t shown camera left of that setup for a while, but Rebecca Jarvis did a standup showing the windows closer to the side door this week.

I thought for sure the home base backdrop was temporary, too. It seems surprisingly cheap looking for what’s essentially the backdrop for a little more than half the show, but it doesn’t appear that any more work is being done. GMA3 actually has the nicer setup now. 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, MorningNews said:

I would be quite disappointed if that is truly the finished product. The backdrop looks cheap and walking by the studio it looks even more makeshift than on screen.

I might have been wrong about the work being done. Very subtle updates continue to happen, so I’m hoping there’s still things happening behind that home base wall and it’s temporary. The large windows have been trimmed out with a large blue light box, covering the older concrete-looking wall. Also, the white light box has been removed from the side of the large screen to the right of the new floating screen. 

• Like 1

This is not limited to GMA but has anyone noticed reporters increasingly speaking in the present tense?

Example: Last night, Speaker Pelosi landing in Ukraine, speaking with President Zelensky about Putin's next move. 

I suppose this is to make things sound more dramatic or current? I've noticed this happening in about the last two or three years, especially on GMA.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, iron_lion said:

This is not limited to GMA but has anyone noticed reporters increasingly speaking in the present tense?

Example: Last night, Speaker Pelosi landing in Ukraine, speaking with President Zelensky about Putin's next move. 

I suppose this is to make things sound more dramatic or current? I've noticed this happening in about the last two or three years, especially on GMA.

Replying with my best news anchor impression:

Speaking in participles, right or wrong, the broadcast news equivalent of verbal shorthand. Televised news programs, competing with other news sources—social media, on-demand, news sites, etc.—for viewers eyes and time. Every second matters, needing to be efficient when telling stories, packing in as much useful and relevant information as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, iron_lion said:

David Muir does this a lot on World News Tonight as well

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iron_lion said:

ABC has been reading the news in the present tense for a while, although that really accelerated after David Muir took over WNT. I guess that style of delivery is supposed to make the news sound like it’s happening in real time, but it’s devolved into being unintentionally hilarious, given that they aren’t even speaking in complete sentences anymore. It’s certainly a departure from Peter Jennings’ style of delivery.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The comic strip Doonesbury made fun of this all the way back on Sept. 20, 2015: https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2015/09/20

image.thumb.png.a6e823391fe764f04f6df0ac938e14bd.png

• Like 4

20 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

ABC has been reading the news in the present tense for a while, although that really accelerated after David Muir took over WNT. I guess that style of delivery is supposed to make the news sound like it’s happening in real time, but it’s devolved into being unintentionally hilarious, given that they aren’t even speaking in complete sentences anymore. It’s certainly a departure from Peter Jennings’ style of delivery.

19 hours ago, LoadStar said:

The comic strip Doonesbury made fun of this all the way back on Sept. 20, 2015: https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2015/09/20

image.thumb.png.a6e823391fe764f04f6df0ac938e14bd.png

Yes! I've totally noticed the not speaking in complete sentences. I dont mind compacting and simplifying information but this feels dramatically dumbed down. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The Rob Marciano situation is still weird. He hasn't been on GMA (both weekend and filling in for Ginger on weekday) for months now. But he still doe WNT and ABC news live. Last week, Sam filled in for Ginger and did Weekend GMA from Florida, yet Rob Marciano was in Florida for WNT. So is he leaving ABC or stalled contract issues?

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Yeah it would really suck for Rob to not stick around. He’s a really good fit with the weekend and weekday crew.

It is really unfortunate, but he maybe wants a job with weekends off or wants to have 8 hour days and not do both GMA and WNT. He doesn't do that much on Weekend GMA anyway and the second hour of GMA on Saturdays is pointless. It's just to give the anchors more time anchoring. They can easily get put on ABC news live. The regular anchors of ABC news live are not the best besides Linsey and Terry.

9 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

The Rob Marciano situation is still weird. He hasn't been on GMA (both weekend and filling in for Ginger on weekday) for months now. But he still doe WNT and ABC news live. Last week, Sam filled in for Ginger and did Weekend GMA from Florida, yet Rob Marciano was in Florida for WNT. So is he leaving ABC or stalled contract issues?

I’ve been wondering about this, too. The first weekend he was out seemed abrupt; no one filled in for him—Gio Benitez read the weather from the anchor desk.  I thought maybe had a last-minute positive on a COVID test or something like that. And they’ve stopped saying that the o&o meteorologists that have been filling in are “in for Rob.”

Maybe there was a conflict with him and a member of the GMA production staff?

• 3 weeks later...

Days like today are when GMA3 is pretty weak. Significant implications from the SCOTUS decision on Roe v Wade and they’re airing an encore presentation of a recent episode dedicated to cooking. Any and TJ anchored GMA this morning too.

I’d love for ABC to find a way to make GMA 3 consecutive hours. The show has been performing pretty strongly lately coming in at #1 and beating the 4th hour of Today and other competition. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I’d love for ABC to find a way to make GMA 3 consecutive hours. The show has been performing pretty strongly lately coming in at #1 and beating the 4th hour of Today and other competition. 

Didn't that get rumored once and caused one of the infamous Kelly Ripa freak outs?

• Like 1