Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

this is better than the mirrior within a mirror look.

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Slightly off topic but part of me believes that ABC could give up the Times Square space at some point in the next decade. The modifications over the years have seen them use the windows and outdoor area much less to none at all. The windowed era of morning TV around the world seems to be closing.

Agreed. The trend appears to be dying down. Even pre-covid "Today" was using the plaza much less than the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Outdoor stuff could build back up more much like today is slowly doing so with the Covid changing more and more 

Alternatively, GMA's gradual phasing-out of Times Square backdrops and outdoor segments may be a subtle effort to wean the audience off of that element of the show.  It may be an indication that Disney plans to relocate GMA to Hudson Square and sell the Times Square Studio once ABC News moves to its new headquarters.

• Like 1

Somewhat relevant but...as someone who's been in the audiences of both shows (pre covid) the Today anchors barely came on the plaza and the audience engagement was mucrr lower than GMA. GMA was better as they used to allow ticketed audience members to sit inside, sheltered from the elements, and a  hype man the audience awake. Plus there was a smaller crowd that walk up to and stand by the forst floor window at Times Sq. I wuestion wether their in-studio crowd will ever return.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

GMA debuts new graphics on the 28th.

As much as I'd root for a new theme to come with it, every theme they've had since they dumped the wonderful '09 version has been a downgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on a walk by the studio tonight, nothing seems to be happening on the first floor and they’ve been using it pretty fully so I imagine this project is limited to the second floor for now. 

Also never realized the series of doors behind the back wall of screens. Several of them were opened tonight to production rooms and storage areas including the old kitchen set that was used during the Josh Elliott years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

Why did the morning show "sit in a living room" kind of atmosphere ever go away?

I feel the same. The video wall trend doesn't give the homely effect that the old physical living room sets used to. 

7040FC62-112B-405C-8045-3C82E500C824.jpeg

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm guessing that it just doesn't make sense to have a set with a bunch of unnecessary clutter, like they had in the living room looks. It worked then, but it just doesn't translate now, especially all the fake plants. I also bet it wouldn't have looked too good in HD. The set that GMA debuted when they went HD took away a lot of the excess stuff, and I do think this still looks pretty handsome. That said, the thing I'm missing in morning TV, these days, is a bit of warmth, which this 2005 set had, along with texture and depth.

a00022228a2d2ac7b8dd13e3242a8c9c.thumb.jpg.d6fb43a94e4cf34080df019fcd674b79.jpg

• Like 11

GMA has launched new graphics and a new second floor set that looks 10/10 (there’s a couch again). Not sure how to do the fancy screen grabs but this is the best I could do.

Some of the elements of the new set make me wonder if they’re introducing an audience component again? Doesn’t seem like there’s space for it. https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/good-morning-america-4/

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 2

The upper floor couch area looks nice, I like the yellow one on one interview chairs. The tiled "GMA" video wall next to the carpeted group discussion circle looks nice. It works for today's video wall area but it's not superior to the textured living room sets from days past posted here earlier. The L3 graphics aren't all that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

So Rob Marciano is off today, but no one filled in for him. Gio Benitez just read the weather of the teleprompter. They are lucky there isn't severe weather this weekend.

I’m sure if there was they would’ve had an O&O over satellite or someone from WABC hop in. 

• Like 2

Does this show even do news anymore. They rush through the news to get to entertainment and tabloid stuff. They should drop the news and turn this program into and entertainment/talk show. Does anyone ever watch this fake show?

Edited by WeatherandTraffic
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Does this show even do news anymore. They rush through the news to get to entertainment and tabloid stuff. They should drop the news and turn this program into and entertainment/talk show. Does anyone ever watch this fake show?

You're asking if anyone watches the morning show that happens to have the most total viewers? (Today wins narrowly in some demos). 

They must be doing something right... it's almost as if a majority of viewers don't care about news and would rather wake up to something softer and more digestible. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, noggi said:

You're asking if anyone watches the morning show that happens to have the most total viewers? (Today wins narrowly in some demos). 

They must be doing something right... it's almost as if a majority of viewers don't care about news and would rather wake up to something softer and more digestible. 

The reason why their number 1 I think is that they have strong local newscasts before it and people don't change the channel. Plus, TODAY does a better job at doing lighter content than tabloid GMA. Plus TODAY has better personalities.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

The reason why their number 1 I think is that they have strong local newscasts before it and people don't change the channel. Plus, TODAY does a better job at doing lighter content than tabloid GMA. Plus TODAY has better personalities.

That's a valid opinion, but that's just your opinion, of course. By the way, not sure I'd use "fake" to describe GMA. Like, I'm pretty sure the show exists.

• Like 1

What I meant is Today does more stories on ordinary people as well as entertainment news. GMA is straight up tabloid from 7:15am through the end of the show. All they do is talk about famous people and laugh. Is the TODAY show the best morning tv show ever? No, but it's certainly better than GMA, and CBS Mornings is better than GMA as well in terms of news and lighter content.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

What I meant is Today does more stories on ordinary people as well as entertainment news. GMA is straight up tabloid from 7:15am through the end of the show. All they do is talk about famous people and laugh. Is the TODAY show the best morning tv show ever? No, but it's certainly better than GMA, and CBS Mornings is better than GMA as well in terms of news and lighter content.

This has become such a tired argument. GMA has always (but one period between 2007-2012) been the more lifestyle / entertainment focused show. It was introduced in 1975 to be that alternative to a more news focused Today. GMA’s entire first hour is solidly news and current events. It’s resonating with viewers and has been for the last 10 years. ABC has always had strong local affiliates yet still couldn’t top Today for 16 years. 

This argument also sucks because Today is equally as “tabloid” as GMA. They’ve just got two extra hours to spread it out. Surely you’re not praising the show that glamorizes 10am cocktails as some bastion of Cronkite-level journalism and expecting anyone here to take you seriously. CNN does a great morning show that may be more of what you’re after. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1