Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

33 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

How is this bad?

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird. They don’t prerecord the second hour publicity focused interviews, they do record several of the first hour’s interviews which is supposed to be the more newsy portion of the show. This has been their practice even when there aren’t conflicts with 7am guests appearing on NBC or CBS.

Edited by MorningNews

3 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird. They don’t prerecord the second hour publicity focused interviews, they record several of the first hour’s interviews which is supposed to be more newsy portion of the show.

Much of those interviewees are people who are making the rounds of all the morning shows, both on broadcast and cable. In order to get those folks on your show in the 7:00 half hour, you sometimes have to conduct the interview at 6:50. Everyone does it, and it's been going on for decades.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

A live television broadcast that literally opens the show pronouncing itself to be “live from Times Square” but then runs a bunch of prerecorded news interviews is weird.

But would we even care if they said 'pre-recorded' in the top bar? A bunch of stations have scripted 'live' pharmaceutical interviews or advertorial 'steals and deals' that are aired all the time without any outrage. Unless some loon comes barreling onto the set and needs a security tackle, I only care about the news and concerts being live. Morning television is a formula, and anything that doesn't stick to the script makes for a bad day behind the scenes.

It's basically the same as a sitcom, reality, or drama show being 'all new'...which is impossible unless you change the opening titles and credits too every week. There are branding labels that are broadly applied, and we've accepted that for 'live' and 'all new' because it's impossible to be 100% of those titles on any given day or week.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:53 AM, MorningNews said:

Does anyone know the reason GMA seems to prerecord so many of their first hour interviews? Whether it’s a medical expert or today’s William Shatner interview, it always seems to be prerecorded. 

It started out of necessity back when GMA was in second place but the show then, as it still does, believes a taped newsmaker interview is better because they can edit it down to keep the best parts. As someone else has mentioned, GMA puts a high value on story count. 

From NY Mag in May 2005: Ben Sherwood says. “We don’t have the luxury of doing live interviews as often as they do.” As a result, GMA often pre-tapes interviews, then edits the segments; on a recent morning, Gibson taped an interview with the parents of children who had been roughed up by a school-bus driver—Couric went live with them later. “They’re getting a more lively pace by cutting out the deadwood in an interview,” says Andrew Tyndall. “It’s more about getting sound bites than the interaction between the interviewer and interviewee.”

The taped newsmaker segments became part of their culture and 16 years later they would still prefer to tape an interview at 6:50 so it can be chopped down to air at 7:15. Viewers don't care whether it is LIVE or not, as long as it is an engaging interview. (They also aren't watching all three shows simultaneously to see that one person is commonly on two shows at the same time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, carolinanews4 said:

It started out of necessity back when GMA was in second place but the show then, as it still does, believes a taped newsmaker interview is better because they can edit it down to keep the best parts. As someone else has mentioned, GMA puts a high value on story count. 

From NY Mag in May 2005: Ben Sherwood says. “We don’t have the luxury of doing live interviews as often as they do.” As a result, GMA often pre-tapes interviews, then edits the segments; on a recent morning, Gibson taped an interview with the parents of children who had been roughed up by a school-bus driver—Couric went live with them later. “They’re getting a more lively pace by cutting out the deadwood in an interview,” says Andrew Tyndall. “It’s more about getting sound bites than the interaction between the interviewer and interviewee.”

The taped newsmaker segments became part of their culture and 16 years later they would still prefer to tape an interview at 6:50 so it can be chopped down to air at 7:15. Viewers don't care whether it is LIVE or not, as long as it is an engaging interview. (They also aren't watching all three shows simultaneously to see that one person is commonly on two shows at the same time)

This seems like the more plausible explanation. I was familiar with the concept for instances where guests are booked simultaneously on the 3 network shows, but GMA takes the prerecorded route for interviews in the first hour regardless of if a guest is appearing elsewhere or not. Before moving to the east coast, I had always assumed that the interviews had just been edited for tape delayed airings but turns out it’s part of the live airing which is what prompted my curiosity. Interesting to understand why they do it the way they do.

Though I think they could stand to clean up the transition from tape to live, it’s ultimately not noticeably or even significant to the casual viewer who is assuredly not manically flipping between the 3 shows every few minutes to compare rundowns like myself lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

But would we even care if they said 'pre-recorded' in the top bar? A bunch of stations have scripted 'live' pharmaceutical interviews or advertorial 'steals and deals' that are aired all the time without any outrage. Unless some loon comes barreling onto the set and needs a security tackle, I only care about the news and concerts being live. Morning television is a formula, and anything that doesn't stick to the script makes for a bad day behind the scenes.

It's basically the same as a sitcom, reality, or drama show being 'all new'...which is impossible unless you change the opening titles and credits too every week. There are branding labels that are broadly applied, and we've accepted that for 'live' and 'all new' because it's impossible to be 100% of those titles on any given day or week.

Certainly not outraged here, I just don’t care much for the approach. It’s not so much that the interview isn’t live but more that I think it removes some of the authenticity of the show when the news interviews are recorded and then glaringly sliced and diced during the playback. I get why they do it for double and triple booked guests but the interviews in the show’s entire first hour follow this strategy regardless of if a guest is on another show which is what promoted my question. 

It’s not a big deal and others likely don’t even notice it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Here’s a pic of the revamped weekend studio that mimics the TS studio. Honestly— kinda looks a little better than TS. 

7052C3EF-417D-4B3F-9092-7142F5867BAE.jpeg

Still not sure what that art project behind them is supposed to be.  But I agree -- they did a nice job bring this into the HQ space.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Looks like it's just a picture of the set in the rear monitor,  right?

I think they’re referring to whatever the background is on the TS set haha. It’s pretty terrible but if that’s the theme then they did a great job replicating it at the HQs uptown.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Say what you will about the 8am hour it was created for, but that upstairs set has been very versatile for the network. That said, I was surprised to see that it's almost 5.5 years old. It's likely due for a more serious overhaul.

• Like 1

This is what the set should’ve looked like when it first debuted. So glad the obnoxious tunnel and light pillars are gone. 

The rest of the studio still looks pretty much the same, so there’s a mismatch happening.  I wonder if this is a temporary homebase while other changes happen?

They’re certainly due for a set refresh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

This is what the set should’ve looked like when it first debuted. So glad the obnoxious tunnel and light pillars are gone. 

The rest of the studio still looks pretty much the same, so there’s a mismatch happening.  I wonder if this is a temporary homebase while other changes happen?

They’re certainly due for a set refresh. 

The 1on1 interviews which had been  conducted at a rectangular desk to the stage left of the homebase desk might be gone. They conducted those at the homebase desk today. That and the windows of the second floor being entirely blacked out as of last week would hopefully indicate we’re getting some additional improvements!

Slightly off topic but part of me believes that ABC could give up the Times Square space at some point in the next decade. The modifications over the years have seen them use the windows and outdoor area much less to none at all. The windowed era of morning TV around the world seems to be closing.

• Like 2

Certainly and granted Covid has played a role but I was referring more to the first floor windows being blocked off from view and the upstairs area being converted to an audience studio (both pre-dating 2020). Even in the early 2000s when there was an indoor audience downstairs the show still used the outdoor space daily throughout the broadcast. It’s extremely rare these days. ABC is building a massive new complex and I could see the change happening sadly (but also entirely uneducated guess and speculation on my part so I’ll stop here now haha).

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Outdoor stuff could build back up more much like today is slowly doing so with the Covid changing more and more 

And with CBS right across the street  doing more outside/Times Square stuff is important to re-establish dominance on the block

Not that CBS has made effective use of their real estate outside of the first week of Gayle's relaunch...

• Like 1

As much as I like the update, and I know they only had the weekend to do this, but I don't care for how it looks with the video bands obstructed. I know it's not quite this, but it's almost like they just constructed this in front of the existing set wall.

image.thumb.png.4bc82069c1d5f3531c3efa6cef1a8e0a.png

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

As much as I like the update, and I know they only had the weekend to do this, but I don't care for how it looks with the video bands obstructed. I know it's not quite this, but it's almost like they just constructed this in front of the existing set wall.

image.thumb.png.4bc82069c1d5f3531c3efa6cef1a8e0a.png

This seems like a temporary move/fix to me. I doubt that they would have left behind the above video bands and added in a curved backdrop rather than having the backdrop flushed against the wall (squared off/angled) like it was before. While some may not have liked 'the tunnel effect', this isn't better imo.