Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

13 hours ago, RCA TK47 said:

I started taking a look at GMA again recently after not watching it for decades.  I kid you not... let's just say the last time I really watched was the Hartman/Gibson/Lunden eras.  Yup, call me Rip Van Winkle; I'm that old.  Hey, I was busy at work putting food on the table and a roof over my head.  I've recently had some time away from work and decided to take a peek.  The program nowadays is an unwatchable trainwreck of show stacking,  plus a 2 hour Disney Corporation infomercial.  

Agreed. GMA is just over the top tabloid, with frequent usage of "breaking overnight", "shocking" and "dramatic video". (Today is following suit). There's some good bits you can get out of the first 30-45 minutes, but that's about it. I find myself tolerating Weekend GMA better.

I don't' mind a distinction in the morning shows. One being the high energy show like current GMA or the Today Show in Australia, one being the slower paced more intellectual program like CBS This Morning or the old U.S. Today show, etc.. . But GMA can be unwatchable at times especially with the silly Disney promotion and celebrity fluff.

The current Today Show is a bit less extreme but still flawed. Today seems to be going the more human interest, "authentic moments", emotional, laugh, cry, lifestyle" route. But GMA is still number one, either because audiences haven't seen older GMA and Today to make a comparison, or TV viewers are just making the best out of the current crop of morning shows. Overall, CBS This Morning IMO is the best out of the bunch, news and lifestyle discussion wise. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MorningNews said:

A lot of these criticisms are not unique to GMA only, most modern day morning television has become a glorified infomercial all across the globe.

Fact. "Today" has plugged the hell out of "Peacock" the last couple months on the show, and "CTM" loves having Simon & Shuster authors (co-owned with CBS) on regularly as well as giving rave reviews to that NFL game on Nickelodeon earlier this month. Is there anything wrong with plugging sister networks/companies? Of course not. But it seems to be happening way more than ever on morning TV.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Agreed. GMA is just over the top tabloid, with frequent usage of "breaking overnight", "shocking" and "dramatic video". (Today is following suit). There's some good bits you can get out of the first 30-45 minutes, but that's about it. I find myself tolerating Weekend GMA better.

I don't' mind a distinction in the morning shows. One being the high energy show like current GMA or the Today Show in Australia, one being the slower paced more intellectual program like CBS This Morning or the old U.S. Today show, etc.. . But GMA can be unwatchable at times especially with the silly Disney promotion and celebrity fluff.

The current Today Show is a bit less extreme but still flawed. Today seems to be going the more human interest, "authentic moments", emotional, laugh, cry, lifestyle" route. But GMA is still number one, either because audiences haven't seen older GMA and Today to make a comparison, or TV viewers are just making the best out of the current crop of morning shows. Overall, CBS This Morning IMO is the best out of the bunch, news and lifestyle discussion wise. 

GMA seems to be using the same usage that WNT uses. Over the top dramatic reporting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:37 AM, Daybreak said:

I hate the new desk that debut this morning. 

6361FB92-CF3F-4280-8633-8A73F3590302.jpeg

E2ED4F1E-F3B0-441A-AE72-B805C6D188DB.jpeg

I hate it, who's in charge of set modifications on the show. I hope it's not George Or Robin. Like how David had control over the graphics and look of his show. I hope Robin or George aren't in charge of the Good Morning America look cause this desk sucks it looks awful and lights everywhere and it's all over the place!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, 24994J said:

$20 says it's laying the groundwork for April 1st. It's helps that he's off this week, and doesn't have to be seen each morning to confirm whether this is for real or not.

Welp you called it! LOL 😆 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

I'm seeing an additional 10am ET hour of GMA. I don't see a live bug on screen, so not sure if it's pre-redorded during the 9a ET hour when affiliates are airing local morning news, or if it's a repeat of the 8 a.m. ET hour?

It's a live second hour, but some stations preempt it until 10 for local newscasts (e.g. WPVI).