Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

GMA3: What You Need to Know is performing stronger than I would have imagined. They averaged nearly 2 million viewers during election week and have been averaging around 1.7 million viewers regularly according to ABC.

This show might last for a few years if the ratings remain good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MorningNews said:

GMA’s Christmas decorations on set look atrocious this year.

It isn’t the decorations, it’s the set that still looks atrocious and clashes with everything. 

“This Week” has been using the second floor/GMA3 level of the Times Square studio and looks great. GMA should just move there and rebuild the previous GMA set. 

4A0C6C8A-62DD-4B70-A482-CAC9F0C89514.jpeg

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I like the new dark on light logo treatment, and I understand the purpose of the wings to better hide the end anchors' legs, but this ain't it. The blue tabs are fine, but the gold parts are way too eye-catching. Honestly, I don't know why they're making such a change now, as I can't imagine they want the anchors sitting THAT far apart forever. They could've just relocated the upstairs desk, which is the same shape, but not so wacky.

The new desk is very odd.

I personally don't mind seeing legs, has this become a no-no now?  Just saw the movie Bombshell, the characters did talk about the power of leg visualization.  😄

Edited by tvtime07

6 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

The new desk is very odd.

I personally don't mind seeing legs, has this become a no-no now?  Just saw the movie Bombshell, the characters did talk about the power of leg visualization.  😄

I don’t think they suddenly have an issue showing legs. They still do it later in the show. 

04086769-08D0-442D-979A-CA220B1B8A4D.thumb.jpeg.dd19ccc16a9dbf0bd769c1ec765190c9.jpeg

Wonder if the change is related to something else happening. Hopefully it is short-lived. 

• Haha 1

They need to just trash the whole thing and start over. I like the original upstairs of the Times Square Studio. They had distinct areas: Home base, news desk, living room area, kitchen, interview area. Wish they would go back to that set up.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, JustinH said:

They need to just trash the whole thing and start over. I like the original upstairs of the Times Square Studio. They had distinct areas: Home base, news desk, living room area, kitchen, interview area. Wish they would go back to that set up.

Agree. This set is way too busy and over the top. But I guess ABC likes that because that’s what they’re all about.

They overhype everything. Everything is “breaking.” They never speak in past tense. And they only know how to describe things in hyperbole.

So I guess it makes sense they’d build a set and chose a color to commit visual assault on the viewers, in addition to verbal/editorial assault.

The new TV3 plays into this as well.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1

It's not just the set.... which looks like the inside of a raspberry blue Slurpee machine at 7-11.

I started taking a look at GMA again recently after not watching it for decades.  I kid you not... let's just say the last time I really watched was the Hartman/Gibson/Lunden eras.  Yup, call me Rip Van Winkle; I'm that old.  Hey, I was busy at work putting food on the table and a roof over my head.  I've recently had some time away from work and decided to take a peek.  The program nowadays is an unwatchable trainwreck of show stacking,  plus a 2 hour Disney Corporation infomercial.  They grimly report about 400,000 Coronavirus deaths in one segment with super sad faces... and a split second later (with practically zero transition) they overexcitedly shill the newest Star Wars/Muppets crap that's going to be on Disney+ with a toothy grin.  Can't forget the latest Disney park updates as well.🙄  I hope people who are watching GMA are taking it with a grain of salt.  Robin Roberts and George Snuffleupugus are great anchors, but their talents are being wasted on the wrong show.   

366C7ABD-F64B-4819-92E7-9B35E4118552.png

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Like 1

A lot of these criticisms are not unique to GMA only, most modern day morning television has become a glorified infomercial all across the globe. The first 45 mins of the show is really still quite great and packed with load of news though.

The set is atrocious and I’d really like to see Michael dumped from the program. Times Square is prime real estate but it’s hardly been used since they introduced the indoor studio audience upstairs.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

A lot of these criticisms are not unique to GMA only, most modern day morning television has become a glorified infomercial all across the globe. The first 45 mins of the show is really still quite great and packed with load of news though.

Agree that the top 45-60 minutes are still relatively valuable (read: better than nothing) when it comes to gathering info if it's your only form of morning news. The trend has been in the works for a long time now, but I'm sure the increased polarization and political nature of the news cycle has forced a lot of the soft material to dip into a significantly more syrupy-sweet feel-good infomercial-adjacent nature to balance the harshness of the rest out. After all, the bar for "good" news is so low now, so of course, it has little substance and works well for settling into a daze of background noise and dopamine-fueled consumerism. GMA will likely never go back to something more serious and news-heavy, given how good their ratings are right now.

Also, yes, the set is hiddy. Even the show during the days of when Gibson and Sawyer were there made so much better use of the Times Square factor. Now, they could basically be in a remote studio and no one would bat an eye. And I like blue, but that extreme splash of blue everywhere with the occasional and awkward yellow or orange make no sense. Throw the whole thing away and start again.

• Like 1

Agreed that the first 45 mins of GMA is still pretty good, from a news perspective. George is sharp with his news analysis and his interviews with political newsmakers. If what you’re looking for is feel good/celebrity soft news, the 8am hour (especially during normal times) is right up your alley. 

With Michael Strahan, I just don’t understand the logic of having him pretend to be a hard news journalist during the 7am hour. At the very least, he should be removed from the top of the show. Amy Robach, TJ Holmes and Cecilia Vega would be better fits.

And I think we are all on the same page with the set — it really needs to go. 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, JustinH said:

I haven't watched weekday GMA in years.  This set is horrible, what's with the random squares above Robin's head?  

It's funny, as I watched this, I was thinking, "What was wrong with set with Diane and Charlie?" Or even before then - a simple desk with the city as the background and some potted plants here and there - homey!  And the living room as well!

^ if you think about it GMA, Today and The Early Show each had heavy wood toned sets back then. Today, the sets are much more modern looking because that’s what’s in. Times change. I personally liked when the set was flipped with the windows behind home base. The show could use a retooling certainly but I’m not sure all the criticisms are fair. GMA is really good at what it does and keep in mind that since it’s inception in 1975 it was always geared to be the more informal / entertainment geared morning option. For the first 20 years they anchored from a living room set and was hosted by actors.

• Thanks 2