Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Looks like the changes could be here to stay. ABC just promoted the woman responsible for the What You Need to Know program to the permanent EP for the hour. Doesn’t make much mention of the future of the show in terms of Michael, Sara and Keke.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cat-mckenzie-named-ep-of-gma3/446930/

How does What You Need to Know compare ratings-wise. The Whoopi-Joy-Sunny-Sara-Jedidiah line up worked well. They had chemistry. Sara brings a light/balance to The View. It needs her to balance out McCain’s histrionics.  

45 minutes ago, ChannelSurfer98 said:

Interesting. I wonder what the hosting format will look like, will they keep it the same with Amy as primary anchor or make it a duo or panel show?

15 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

Interesting. I wonder what the hosting format will look like, will they keep it the same with Amy as primary anchor or make it a duo or panel show?

Or maybe bring back a legendary soap opera and revive it. One answer, IMO... AMC (All My Children).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Or maybe bring back a legendary soap opera and revive it. One answer, IMO... AMC (All My Children).

And where is the money coming from to staff and produce a soap, without it being a joke? These employees are already ABC News employees, with experience in this type of production.

It's not happening.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

If they choose not to replace GMA3 with another news/talk program, ABC would have much better luck moving Strahan Pyramid or Press Your Luck to that daily timeslot.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChannelSurfer98 said:

I liked SSK, but I think one of the biggest problems the show had was its identity crisis, undergoing 3 name changes in less than a year after it debuted. I know the show had a small but loyal audience. I like the harder approach but I'm sure some are going to miss the "fun" element that SSK had.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I liked SSK, but I think one of the biggest problems the show had was its identity crisis, undergoing 3 name changes in less than a year after it debuted. I know the show had a small but loyal audience. I like the harder approach but I'm sure some are going to miss the "fun" element that SSK had.

That was the problem in a nutshell. ABC didn't really know what to do with the show and whether it wanted to be a part of the "GMA" brand. It'll be interesting as to ABC's plans in the fall for the 1pm timeslot, but I honestly hope they keep the current "GMA3" format.

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 2

Strahan, Sarah & Keke had good chemistry. I think one weakness was the program being disjoined from the first two hours of GMA. 

Since OLTL and AMC were axed the time slots have been unstable. Yet, ATWT and Guiding Light's repalcements The Talk & Lets Make A Deal have some how managed to last a decade now.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 1:43 PM, iron_lion said:

Since OLTL and AMC were axed the time slots have been unstable. Yet, ATWT and Guiding Light's repalcements The Talk & Lets Make A Deal have some how managed to last a decade now.

I think LMAD on CBS w/Wayne Brady has lasted as long as it has because it has been a proven brand in the industry (and we can give much credit to the late, great Monty Hall for building that brand into a household name).

Edited by bmasters1
  • Like 1

I like Michael Strahan but he's not needed at crowded GMA. He was good with Kelly Ripa, but Ryan Seacrest is working out fine.

Another issue was that GMA 3 was just another face in the already saturated lighthearted--opinionated banter--current events--games and celebrity guests talk show circuit. But hell, I can stomach them over The View

Had Kelly Ripa decided to leave LIVE instead of Michael, I could definitely see Kiki and Sarah working out as his co hosts given their chemistry.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Another issue was that GMA 3 was just another face in the already saturated lighthearted--opinionated banter--current events--games and celebrity guests talk show circuit. But hell, I can stomach them over The View

Yeah, that was the problem. SS&K didn't really add anything new, the hosts had good chemistry but there's just so many other alternatives out there that the show pretty much gets lost in the shuffle. 

I'm still surprised that The Chew didn't get a revamp.The show had enough uniqueness to stand out from the crowd. All the show needed was a couple new hosts to spice things up,

I. do wonder if ABC has been thinking to bring one of their primetime classic game shows to daytime, seems like an easy move with their relationship with Fremantle. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

I'd take AMC & OLTL back with good writers in the 1/2 hour format at 1:00. Due to financial reasons many have addressed, thats unlikely.

With Disney now having majority ownership of Hulu, I wonder if soaps can find new life on streaming, even with a half-hour format. They can have it premiere on ABC then have the episodes available on streaming. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tvtime07 said:

With Disney now having majority ownership of Hulu, I wonder if soaps can find new life on streaming, even with a half-hour format. They can have it premiere on ABC then have the episodes available on streaming. 

Their experience with The Online Network suggests that's not happening. OWN and BET have successfully boosted the profile of soap formats in primetime with much better production values (relatively speaking for the format), but the big issue is there has to be a consistent five-day audience for a return of soaps. Streaming has yet to even bother with any type of daytime strip half-hour format (and even the 'short-shot' 10 minute news/night in TV & late night shows haven't sold well to a broad audience), so it's going to be at least a decade before it's even a reality.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, Georgie56 said:

ABC would have much better luck moving Strahan Pyramid or Press Your Luck to that daily timeslot.

This!! They could easily run Press Your Luck and Pyramid or Card Sharks as half hour versions. All Press Your Luck has to do is cut the Bonus Round. Pyramid or Card Sharks can become single runs. Actually the best idea for ABC would be to launch a game show block to counter The Price is Right at 11am and move The View to 1pm or swap it with General Hospital and have The View counter The Talk. I'm sure The View gets crushed at 11am by TPIR. Really the only show that ever really came close to countering TPIR was when NBC ran Wheel of Fortune against it in the 80s.

Edited by jerseyfla

16 minutes ago, jerseyfla said:

This!! They could easily run Press Your Luck and Pyramid or Card Sharks as half hour versions. All Press Your Luck has to do is cut the Bonus Round. Pyramid or Card Sharks can become single runs. Actually the best idea for ABC would be to launch a game show block to counter The Price is Right at 11am and move The View to 1pm or swap it with General Hospital and have The View counter The Talk. I'm sure The View gets crushed at 11am by TPIR. Really the only show that ever really came close to countering TPIR was when NBC ran Wheel of Fortune against it in the 80s.

Maybe....I supposed that would work given that most syndicated talk shows are relegated to FOX/CW/MNT stations, but unless some GM wanted to expand morning news...that's a possibility.....

The View is a leader among its category (daytime talk show) and is a staple of ABC’s early daytime lineup so I don’t think they’d mess with moving it around. An expanded GMA has been a top priority for the network in an attempt to grab more advertising dollars for the most watched morning program. I think that will remain a priority for them as a cheap alternative that guarantees a nice ROI over converting their primetime game shows into daily airings.

• 3 weeks later...

So much for GMA Day too.

Also, once the pandemic is over, will ABC keep the 1:00 p.m. timeslot and convert it into an afternoon news program or just shift General Hospital to the 1:00 p.m. timeslot and give the 2:00 p.m. hour to affiliates? I mean, this pandemic is not forever and so will not this program.

5 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

So much for GMA Day too.

Also, once the pandemic is over, will ABC keep the 1:00 p.m. timeslot and convert it into an afternoon news program or just shift General Hospital to the 1:00 p.m. timeslot and give the 2:00 p.m. hour to affiliates? I mean, this pandemic is not forever and so will not this program.

They’ve already renamed it from “Pandemic: What You Need To Know” to “GMA3: What You Need To Know” to cover more than just the pandemic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

They’ve already renamed it from “Pandemic: What You Need To Know” to “GMA3: What You Need To Know” to cover more than just the pandemic. 

But does GMA3: What You Need To Know remain after the pandemic or will it be replaced by a new program or just turn over the 2:00 p.m. hour to affiliates with General Hospital moving to the 1:00 p.m. feed?

Like what is ABC's plan once the pandemic is over?