Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning America is moving closer to some form of normalcy. George, Amy and Michael anchored together in the studio for the first time in months Friday. Dan, Eva and Whit are anchoring in the TS studio together for the first time in nearly 2 months.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Good Morning America is moving closer to some form of normalcy. George, Amy and Michael anchored together in the studio for the first time in months Friday. Dan, Eva and Whit are anchoring in the TS studio together for the first time in nearly 2 months.

Yeah, I've noticed more and more local stations doing the same thing. They are slowly but surely returning to normal.

• 5 weeks later...

Pandemic: What You Need To Know has been rebranded to GMA3: What You Need To Know. 

seems like Strahan Sara and Keke is not returning anytime soon. 

Edited by 24994J

Of ALLLLLLLL the talk shows on TV, SS&K desperately needs an audience to be remotely palatable, so it's no surprise that the noon hour got a name change, for the long haul. Honestly, I wouldn't object to this change becoming permanent.

Edited by 24994J

4 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Surprised they are not utilizing Sara anymore on The View either.

If GMA3 doesn't come back, which hopefully it doesn't because it's totally un-watchable at this point, I can see ABC sliding Sara back into The View. Michael obviously still has GMA. They could make Keke an entertainment correspondent until her contract runs out. They should have left it alone when it was GMA Day. At least then it was tolerable. Bring back Good Afternoon America but make it more news focused.

Edited by JustinH

1 hour ago, JustinH said:

If GMA3 doesn't come back, which hopefully it doesn't because it's totally un-watchable at this point, I can see ABC sliding Sara back into The View. Michael obviously still has GMA. They could make Keke an entertainment correspondent until her contract runs out. They should have left it alone when it was GMA Day. At least then it was tolerable. Bring back Good Afternoon America but make it more news focused.

I see them keeping it, because ABC desperately want the cache that NBC has with the Today franchise and remember is cheaper for Talk Show or Game Show in that time slot than a soap opera.  I see them once again retooling it to make it a more of a carbon copy of GMA. 

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

I see them keeping it, because ABC desperately want the cache that NBC has with the Today franchise and remember is cheaper for Talk Show or Game Show in that time slot than a soap opera.  I see them once again retooling it to make it a more of a carbon copy of GMA. 

The huge problem is that the consistency they want to one-up Today is impossible because Kelly & Ryan is in the way. 

How toxic would it be to bring back The Chew, or was that name sullied fully because of Mario Batali?

4 hours ago, JustinH said:

3 hours ago, Breaking News said:

It doesn't look like the GMA3 brand is going away. According to TV listings, as of yesterday ABC changed the name of its 1pm ET hour from Pandemic: What You Need to Know to GMA3: What You Need to Know. It still has the same hosts as under the previous title, rather than the GMA3 crew, but it seems like ABC is keeping the GMA3 brand alive for the show's eventual return.

59 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

It doesn't look like the GMA3 brand is going away. According to TV listings, as of yesterday ABC changed the name of its 1pm ET hour from Pandemic: What You Need to Know to GMA3: What You Need to Know. It still has the same hosts as under the previous title, rather than the GMA3 crew, but it seems like ABC is keeping the GMA3 brand alive for the show's eventual return.

Yes, we already established this yesterday.

11 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Strahan, Sara and Keke continues on their official YouTube channel. They started doing "at-home" shows a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCArZhtifgQgRV3GJtxuj9AA

If a tree falls in the forest...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, ScottJ said:

I like seeing TJ Holmes fill in for Amy the past few days and the whole feel of the program.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

TJ Holmes has to be a permanent part of GMA’s future. He and Amy work particularly well as a duo when they’re together.

I agree. I wouldn’t be surprised if ABC were to keep this show going. Mike, Sara & Keke could be easily reassigned to other shows/projects, etc.. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with these sentiments. This informational format (health, finance, people-doing-good fare. etc.) is so much more substantive than SS&K, and would serve as a more worthwhile 3rd hour to the mothership. Keep Strahan on the early hours, bring Sara back to The View, and let Keke go back to things...that aren't a talk show? Pair Amy and T.J., better-bridge the look with GMA, and boom, an instantly more respectable product that doesn't feel like a mind-numbing knock-off of every daytime ensemble talker to ever exist.

• Like 6

With the way things are going, it just might become permanent by default, which is a good thing; news in the afternoon that doesn't have a 'deal of the day' or pundit battles going on is desperately needed, and it's going to be a long time before the NYLA film/TV/book junket tours that give these shows oxygen return, now that it's been proven you can do it a lot easier and personal through videoconferencing. You also can have a local station justifiably break in with news much better with a soft news show than a soap or talk show.

• Like 1

Yeah the format of Need to Know should stick around, GMA3 is just not palatable similarly to Good Afternoon America. No need for the gimmicks. 

The 3rd hour is taped right after GMA wraps so I’d imagine that the costs are relatively low compared to creating an entire different show like The Chew. I just wish they’d really push their lineup back an hour so the 3rd hour can air live.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DMA said:

GMA3: What You Need To Know is such an incomprehensible name, just rename it to ABC Afternoon News or something. 

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

A better name would be ABC World News Midday.

I like ABC World News Midday better. I think this would be the first attempt at a national long-form midday newscast here in the United States. I know the other ABC in Australia has a midday newscast, and I know the BBC has a midday newscast as well in the UK......

It's worth noting that just like Nightline came in the midst of the Iran hostage crisis, What You Need to Know came in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic (although in What You Need to Know's case, it replaced an hour already produced by ABC News [Strahan, Sara, & Keke])....

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, J1975am said:

I like ABC World News Midday better. I think this would be the first attempt at a national long-form midday newscast here in the United States. I know the other ABC in Australia has a midday newscast, and I know the BBC has a midday newscast as well in the UK......

It's worth noting that just like Nightline came in the midst of the Iran hostage crisis, What You Need to Know came in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic (although in What You Need to Know's case, it replaced an hour already produced by ABC News [Strahan, Sara, & Keke])....

Telemundo has a midday newscast.

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

A better name would be ABC World News Midday.

Would national afternoon news of sort work though?, granted it's extension of GMA. Would it replicate elsewhere if successful? Certain places like Argentina + Britain have lunchtime bulletins from what i've seen over at International O&A.  

Edited by justin2kx
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:13 PM, MorningNews said:

TJ Holmes has to be a permanent part of GMA’s future. He and Amy work particularly well as a duo when they’re together.

TJ is definitely great, I wish they gave him a permanent role on the GMA team or somewhere on ABC News. He and Amy do work really well as a pair.

Wouldn't mind seeing Sara back on The View, she was great on there. 

On 6/30/2020 at 12:35 AM, 24994J said:

I totally agree with these sentiments. This informational format (health, finance, people-doing-good fare. etc.) is so much more substantive than SS&K, and would serve as a more worthwhile 3rd hour to the mothership. Keep Strahan on the early hours, bring Sara back to The View, and let Keke go back to things...that aren't a talk show? Pair Amy and T.J., better-bridge the look with GMA, and boom, an instantly more respectable product that doesn't feel like a mind-numbing knock-off of every daytime ensemble talker to ever exist.

Yeah, I wonder how  "GMA3: What You Need to Know" is doing in the ratings? Does anyone know? I do like this iteration of the show, it does feel like World News Now in the Afternoon, there's definitely more substance and a more informational tone that I highly welcome. With what's going on right now in the world and with so much uncertainty, I don't really see the silliness of SS&K coming back anytime soon. The more serious tone can easily delve into topics like politics and the election cycle, as well as jobs and the economy.  The flaw that ABC News had with this hour was that GMA Day originally felt like a knockoff on Live with Kelly & Ryan and SS&K just felt like they were trying to be a panel version of Ellen. 

14 hours ago, mountainave said:

Lest we forget...

Aww, it's Josh Elliott before he burned his on-air career. He was quite popular with GMA viewers at the time.  If he stayed at ABC, there's no doubt he would have been the third anchor on GMA with Robin and George. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1