Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

George Stephanopulos is coming up on 10 years as anchor of GMA. On Dec 14, he will have been part of the show for as long as Diane Sawyer was and just 2 years short of David Hartman’s run. He’s been part of the most successful period in the show’s history. Not at all what I expected when announced back in 2009. 

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

George Stephanopulos is coming up on 10 years as anchor of GMA.

Wow, 10 years. Because he already was anchor of This Week, I didn't think he would have the stamina to do a two-hour daily morning show - and then both years later. Boy was I (happily) wrong. He joined at the right time, adapted very well, was - and still is - an incredible anchor of both, and definitely was/is a part of GMA's most successful era.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 7:36 AM, MorningNews said:

George Stephanopulos is coming up on 10 years as anchor of GMA. On Dec 14, he will have been part of the show for as long as Diane Sawyer was and just 2 years short of David Hartman’s run. He’s been part of the most successful period in the show’s history. Not at all what I expected when announced back in 2009. 

I'm sure it has to be frustrating for him to have to do some of the tabloidish silly content on the show. I really liked the dynamic when it was Groege, Robin, Lara, Josh and Sam. It was still tabloidish but watchable. The show feels crowded and over the top now. I like Michael Strahan, but they should just keep him on sports and maybe entertainment. Have Robin & George at the forefront more, get more "intellectual" content like there was under Hartman, Lunden, Gibson and Sawyer, and bring back that relaxed vibe. But they're still #1, so they've found what works for them. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Yep they have found something that resonates with the audience for sure but the product is so horrible. GMA is a shell of its former self in the worst way.

Agreed.  The best parts of Good Morning America these days are when George has a political interview or discussion with a political or legal analyst. The rest of the content is either not news and, when it is, it’s so poorly produced and rushed that the package leaves you asking more questions than you had before the report started. 

Plus, Robin is off every Friday now and, some weeks, off other days as well.  Michael Strahan — who does not belong as a co-anchor — is off Mondays during the NFL season.  Except for George, there’s barely any consistency in the hosts.

And, good lord, the set.... 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Yep they have found something that resonates with the audience for sure but the product is so horrible. GMA is a shell of its former self in the worst way.

Only reason GMA is doing so well is because Today and CBS This Morning had epic shakeups. Otherwise, GMA is a hot mess.

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

The rest of the content is either not news and, when it is, it’s so poorly produced and rushed that the package leaves you asking more questions than you had before the report started. 

The main question being: WHY THE EFF DO THEY HAVE MICHAEL STRAHAN CONDUCT SERIOUS INTERVIEWS?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think there's a little more to it than the competition shake ups, GMA and Today are virtually the same levels of trash.  Both shows feel so rushed with an abundance of gimmicks and bad content. Today just has better production value.

Completely agree on Michael Strahan being a terribly under-qualified host for this show. It is painful watching him conduct an interview, I think the last time I watched he was interviewing a kidnapping victim and it was awful. He and Lara are virtually interchangeable so I'm not sure why they insist on keeping them both around.

I'm hoping for a major overhaul of the program in the next few years.

Edited by MorningNews

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I think there's a little more to it than the competition shake ups, GMA and Today are virtually the same levels of trash.  Both shows feel so rushed with an abundance of gimmicks and bad content. Today just has better production value.

Completely agree on Michael Strahan being a terribly under-qualified host for this show. It is painful watching him conduct an interview, I think the last time I watched he was interviewing a kidnapping victim and it was awful. He and Lara are virtually interchangeable so I'm not sure why they insist on keeping them both around.

I'm hoping for a major overhaul of the program in the next few years.

GMA and Today are both largely unwatchable, but Today is slightly better in story choice. GMA (and Today) habitually overuse "breaking overnight", "shocking" video etc.. CBS This Morning isn't all that but it's the more intelligent of the three programs with a more relaxed pace. What's on GMA these days would be acceptable from Inside Edition or Entertainment Tonight but not a show branded under "ABC NEWS".  Hopefully both shows make major changes in the 2020s. 

Edited by iron_lion

He is great on $100,000 Pyramid I must say. But I do agree with y'all, I still find it odd that they passed up on other qualified ABC News anchors for Michael. Disney loves Strahan and they possibly feel like he brings the "it" factor, but I've always speculated that adding a more masculine personality (Strahan, Josh Elliott, Jesse Palmer, and even Tony Reali) was always a band-aid to counter Stephanopoulos' stiffness during lighter, fluffier flare.  

I do wonder what GMA's longterm plans are. Will GMA3 still be in the cards? Roberts and Stephanopoulos aren't exactly ancient and the audience seems to like this team for the most part, unless ratings slide or the competition gets fierce, I can see this team staying for another 5-10 years tops. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

He is great on $100,000 Pyramid I must say. But I do agree with y'all, I still find it odd that they passed up on other qualified ABC News anchors for Michael. Disney loves Strahan and they possibly feel like he brings the "it" factor, but I've always speculated that adding a more masculine personality (Strahan, Josh Elliott, Jesse Palmer, and even Tony Reali) was always a band-aid to counter Stephanopoulos' stiffness during lighter, fluffier flare.  

I do wonder what GMA's longterm plans are. Will GMA3 still be in the cards? Roberts and Stephanopoulos aren't exactly ancient and the audience seems to like this team for the most part, unless ratings slide or the competition gets fierce, I can see this team staying for another 5-10 years tops. 

Oh how could I forget that Tony Reali experiment that lasted all of 2 days? It’s crazy to think about what’s changed in the last 5 years. 

I would really like to see TJ Holmes step into a much larger role with the show. He’s got much more of the gravitas and charisma that Michael just doesn’t have. He also plays really well off of whoever he’s on set no matter who they are.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

I was just coming here to comment on that. Wasn’t sure if they have made the move recently and I missed it but interesting to see them there years after moving away.

I would expect all kinds of strange "musical chairs" at all the ABC production/ news studios in the NYC area.

The reason is the upcoming move at Columbus square and all the tech craziness that will be part of it.

ABC and WABC will need to improvise over the course of the move.

IE: EWN being able to work out of Times Square if needed for an hour, week or month. There will need to be some redundancy practiced "just in case"...

You plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Edited by Eat News
MAMAMOO-HIP (MV).. https://youtu.be/F4tMI_XcqQ0

6 hours ago, Eat News said:

I would expect all kinds of strange "musical chairs" at all the ABC production/ news studios in the NYC area.

The reason is the upcoming move at Columbus square and all the tech craziness that will be part of it.

IE: EWN being able to work out of Times Square if needed for an hour, week or month. There will need to be some redundancy practiced "just in case"...

huh?  That move is about 4 years away. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

huh?  That move is about 4 years away. 

Plans, Permits etc...

It's NYC for God sake.

Yup I would actually say 5-6 years given the process and delays that will be involved.

Make NO mistake, the planning has already begun.

Of course ABC could take a quicker route...

Edited by Eat News
Twice-Fake and True .. https://youtu.be/zQELp93xxfo

On 12/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, Eat News said:

I imagine they period they’re leasing back will overlap significantly with the build in /move out.  

Also is the new developer of the current ABC property going to demolish all of it it or will keep some studio.  Like what happened when NBC sold the Burbank lot, some outside developer came in to own it but kept it as studios.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, the current facility is a bunch of separate buildings of various ages connected together. Unless the developer sees some kind of market for the separate buildings and the studio spaces, I would imagine they'll just be demolished and replaced with a new development.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, CircleSeven said:

I see Weekend GMA is at the Times Square Studios this morning. I wonder if its because of the continued maintenance work at TV3.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:07 PM, Eat News said:

On 12/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, Eat News said:

Plans, Permits etc...

It's NYC for God sake.

Yup I would actually say 5-6 years given the process and delays that will be involved.

Make NO mistake, the planning has already begun.

Of course ABC could take a quicker route...

TV3, the studio space that GMA Weekend and WNT broadcasts from, is undergoing a renovation. That’s why last weekend’s Good Morning America aired from Times Square and it’s why WNT has been in a small, temporary set the last few days. This has nothing to do with ABC’s move downtown in 4 years.

• Like 2