Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

8 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Ditto on that last part. There has been talk floated recently, affirmed by ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke, about ABC potentially reviving either of the two soaps, now that ABC owns the rights to All My Children and One Life to Live again under their prior settlement with Prospect Park. I think reviving AMC or OLTL over ABC's air would be a backup plan (Plan B or, moreso, C), in case the to-be-rechristened GMA3 doesn't work out; it might be likelier that either - if at all - would end up as web series, either on ABC's web platform or on Disney+.

Even if there was a strong possibility that they decided to do a soap revival, there's no chance of bringing back both AMC and OLTL on the ABC daytime lineup, since that would require recouping the hour it ceded to its stations to accommodate those two or offing General Hospital, which doesn't seem like a possibility at this point, even though GH is kinda situated at fourth (last) among the soaps behind Days of Our Lives.

6 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

They could both come back as half hour soaps.

I agree with both AMC and OLTL coming back as half hour soaps, instead of full hour soaps.  Less is more.  Soaps having such rich histories and legacies associated with them.

I could see CBS mulling over reviving 1 or 2 of its canceled soaps, shortened to half hour broadcasts, if Let's Make A Deal or The Talk was to get axed.  As the World Turns, much like OLTL, was getting better near the end of its run.  Guiding Light may have been in trouble in its last years.  Or I could see Capitol being revived, even though it's been gone since 1987.

• Like 2

On a more serious note - likely the only reason it's GMA-branded is because ABC sees some value in the brand now, given the parent program's #1 rating in HHs during the morning--and their recent demo wins.

I like the Crew name too, but this looks like ABC trying to build GMA into a more fluid, all-hours brand like Today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 12:20 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I agree with both AMC and OLTL coming back as half hour soaps, instead of full hour soaps.  Less is more.  Soaps having such rich histories and legacies associated with them.

I could see CBS mulling over reviving 1 or 2 of its canceled soaps, shortened to half hour broadcasts, if Let's Make A Deal or The Talk was to get axed.  As the World Turns, much like OLTL, was getting better near the end of its run.  Guiding Light may have been in trouble in its last years.  Or I could see Capitol being revived, even though it's been gone since 1987.

Agreed, less is more! At least the Talk and Lets Make A Deal have held their slots for the entire decade since GL & ATWT were canceled. ABC on the other hand scrapped 40+ year old OLTL & AMC for shows that lasted no time at all. If the soaps do return they'd be better off as half hour shows with better writing than they had in their final years. As much as I love those long running venerable sopas, I must admit they've been on a quality slide since the mid 2000s. 30 mins might be better for their strained budget..smaller cast, less content to fill 5 days a week. Likewise, given General Hospital's current quality they'd be better off being chopped to a half hour.

Edited by iron_lion

I really enjoyed those look backs yesterday. I'm happy that GMA finally seems to be taking a page out of Today's playbook and celebrating their history with much fanfare!

I read an old article (2006ish) about the identity of morning television. The 80s were big on travel, 90s were about the street side studios. I'd say the 2000s were big on concerts and 2010s was all about pop news and ensemble casts. I'm interested to see what the 2020s brings, I'm personally hoping to see the ensemble approach go away and the two-anchor format return. More substance and less pop news.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1

GMA has had an easier time celebrating their history compared to the Today show, who have erased the likes of Matt Lauer and Ann Curry from their memory. I remember during their 40th anniversary when they invited all their on-air talent back, GMA even brought back Kevin Newman, Lisa McRee and even Josh Elliott came back, seems like there's no bad blood . 

2000s GMA was pretty much my preferred version of the show, it had the right balance of substance and morning show flare.

For me, Time Square Studio's prime location is the 2nd floor and it's unfortunate that they don't take advantage of the Time Square view that often as they did in the early 2000s, I always preferred that they started the first hour upstairs and went down to hangout with the public on the ground level during the 2nd hour. Also, I know it's a budgetary issue, but I always thought it was silly when they moved the weekend edition, 20/20, Nightline and Primetime away from Time Square since the facility is owned by Disney; it's simply aesthetics, but it definitely made the newsmagazines come alive when they were on location, it just simply illuminated the live aspect that you simply don't feel when they are in the Upper West Side in a closed studio. Do you guys think GMA will leave Times Square when construction for the new ABC HQ in Hudson Square is completed? 

Edited by tvtime07

I guess they're taking advantage of the new kidvid rules.

From Variety, GMA Saturday is expanding to two hours for a good chunk of its affiliates beginning next week.

Looking at the guides, the two hours won't be together. For example:

• WABC will air the first hour at 8am, then the second hour at 10am/ET.
  • WLS will air the first hour at 7am, then the second hour at 10am/CT.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I guess they're taking advantage of the new kidvid rules.

From Variety, GMA Saturday is expanding to two hours for a good chunk of its affiliates beginning next week.

Looking at the guides, the two hours won't be together. For example:

• WABC will air the first hour at 8am, then the second hour at 10am/ET.
  • WLS will air the first hour at 7am, then the second hour at 10am/CT.

Great they're joining CBS and NBC. I hope they use the Times Square studio for GMA weekend soon.

• Like 1

KTRK will be airing the full two hours of Saturday GMA in one block from 7-9 am. It'll be interesting to see how the weekend show adapts to an extended format considering the second hour GMA is heavily centered around entertainment, celebrity guests and a studio audience (things that are typically not available on the weekends). I know finances are an issue but the weekend show should really move back to Times Square, the cramped WNT studio their in is not a good look for morning TV.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

KTRK will be airing the full two hours of Saturday GMA in one block from 7-9 am. It'll be interesting to see how the weekend show adapts to an extended format considering the second hour GMA is heavily centered around entertainment, celebrity guests and a studio audience (things that are typically not available on the weekends). I know finances are an issue but the weekend show should really move back to Times Square, the cramped WNT studio their in is not a good look for morning TV.

Will this be aired on all ABC affiliates or just some of the affiliates? Also does the ABC affiliates have an option to split up or even air one of the 2 hours of GMA on weekends?

If that's the case and it's all over the country, then KOCO will have to lose an hour of local news on weekend mornings in order to accomodate the full 2 hours of GMA Weekend (KSWO and KTUL on the other hand won't be affected by it at all as they don't air local news on weekend mornings at all)

Edited by oknewsguy

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

They should also look at taking the weekend shows on the road too, something like sports shows do (think College GameDay) but with a different idea and all year. Also an 8 am ET start time would be better, to allow more time for local affiliates to do news and a more reasonable time frame if they take it to the west coast.

One possible option:

6:00 am (or earlier in the biggest markets) - 8:00 am: Local news (or national feed in smaller markets unable to produce a newscast)

8:00 am - 11:00 am: GMA (3rd hour optional; live ET) - subject to sports pre-emptions especially PT

Edited by GoldenShine9

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Will this be aired on all ABC affiliates or just some of the affiliates? Also does the ABC affiliates have an option to split up or even air one of the 2 hours of GMA on weekends?

If that's the case and it's all over the country, then KOCO will have to lose an hour of local news on weekend mornings in order to accomodate the full 2 hours of GMA Weekend (KSWO and KTUL on the other hand won't be affected by it at all as they don't air local news on weekend mornings at all)

According to TVNewser, only 100 markets have cleared the new hour so far.

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/gma-saturday-adds-another-hour-beginning-oct-5/415912/

Edited by USNewsie

28 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

What is the extent of the network's power to require a mandate on carrying the 2 hours together? I guess if affiliates don't want to do it then ABC can't force them to?

If NBC doesn't do so for Saturdays, then what makes anyone think ABC will too? WCMH Columbus already splits Saturday Today (7am and then 9am) in two and so does WTHR Indianapolis (somewhat; 7am and then 8am on Me-TV).

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

If NBC doesn't do so for Saturdays, then what makes anyone think ABC will too? WCMH Columbus already splits Saturday Today (7am and then 9am) in two and so does WTHR Indianapolis (somewhat; 7am and then 8am on Me-TV).

I wasn't suggesting that they should or expecting that they would, I simply asked what the network's power is to mandate that both hours be carried. Seems like CBS was able to force their affiliates to carry CTM in its entirety several years ago after a decade of preemptions for The Early Show so I was just curious what the network's rights are to do that.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I wasn't suggesting that they should or expecting that they would, I simply asked what the network's power is to mandate that both hours be carried. Seems like CBS was able to force their affiliates to carry CTM in its entirety several years ago after a decade of preemptions for The Early Show so I was just curious what the network's rights are to do that.

Seems when affiliation contracts expire the networks can make it a condition of renewal. 

• Like 2