Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

This morning's open (on the live east coast feed, at least) was different - it opened right away with the "live from times square..." anchor intro, and then George, Paula (in for Robin) and Michael went through the headlines for the day. You could also audibly hear someone - either in the control room or studio - right at the top of the anchor into say "we're on!".. Wonder if the headlines intro got messed up just before air and they had to dump it or if they were experimenting?

Here it is. Whether or not the format is permanent, the open has been updated with the gray ABC logo (which clashes mightily with the blue lettering), which has been creeping into a lot of new season promos. It looks like that might replace the gold/butterscotch version that's been most dominant for the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=46Qo306Xrc4;t=10

Here it is. Whether or not the format is permanent, the open has been updated with the gray ABC logo (which clashes mightily with the blue lettering), which has been creeping into a lot of new season promos. It looks like that might replace the gold/butterscotch version that's been most dominant for the last 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=46Qo306Xrc4;t=10

I like it. They always liked to cram a lot of words into their headlines.

Another modified open today.

This time, a very quick four-note ABC News/Good Morning America ID and title card then cutting straight to the anchors live in studio and George greeting viewers with, “Good Morning, America.” Then each of the three anchors introduced one headline while the main theme plays in the background. From there, they dive right into the top story.

There was no taped announcer intro or traditional opening saying “this is GMA...” with the zooming in on the studio exterior.

Looks like they’re experimenting with things this week.

• Like 1

Michael Strahan interviewing one of the Jacksonville shooting survivors at the top of this morning’s broadcast and he leads off with the hard hitting question: “How are you feeling?”

Someone please send this man to an intro to journalism class and then let him back on America’s most watched morning newscast.

• Like 1

Michael Strahan interviewing one of the Jacksonville shooting survivors at the top of this morning’s broadcast and he leads off with the hard hitting question: “How are you feeling?”

Someone please send this man to an intro to journalism class and then let him back on America’s most watched morning newscast.

Can we really blame him here? He didn't study journalism.. The executives, however, know what's up.. They need to open their eyes and ears

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thoughts on GMA Day? It felt too much like Live, IMO.

Seemed like a second hour of “Live” with some elements of the 8am hour GMA mixed in. Nothing unique, but also not terrible. I will say Michael Strahan is in his element and does a great job on GMA Day, as opposed to when ABC News sticks him into the middle of hard news situations.

• Like 3

It operated from the GMA playbook, and it certainly fits the one-hour format better. Did it feel a little like 'Live'? Yes, but a cohosted show is always going to walk that line. Besides, I personally like Sarah and Michael more than their 9am counterparts, so it has that going for it. Keeping Carla Hall from 'The Chew' aboard as a contributor is a good move, but that might just be filling out a contract.

• Like 1

Was Cecilia Vega in for Michael this morning on the mothership GMA? I wonder if it was just because GMA Day premiered today.

Also, Whit seems to have become a permanent third anchor on weekend GMA.

Michael doesn’t work Mondays during football season due to hosting FOX NFL Sunday in LA the prior day. I read a recent article saying he’s now working Mondays at ABC for GMA Day, but I guess not for the mothership.

I like the addition of Whit Johnson and he seems to be on the fast track to other things at ABC. He’s already filled in a few times on WNT and on the weekday editions of GMA.

I didn't see the premiere in its entirety but Michael and Sarah make a great partnership for this type of format. KTLA's Sam Rubin is already speculating that insiders believe this is a trial for cancelling LIVE at some point in the near future.

By the way, Sam Rubin is in this week's episode of KTLA's "The News Directors Office" podcast, of which, I really thoroughly enjoy. Of course, it has the interview but it also starts with quotes and offers a fun fact on Dolly Parton (and who doesn't love her, seriously?) in every episode. I seriously recommend it. Past interviewees include Eric Spillman, Ellen K. from KOST FM, Kevin Fraiser (last week's) and Megan Henderson (first episode).

• Like 5

I didn't see the premiere in its entirety but Michael and Sarah make a great partnership for this type of format. KTLA's Sam Rubin is already speculating that insiders believe this is a trial for cancelling LIVE at some point in the near future.

Canceling LIVE would mean ABC forcing WABC-TV to end a profitable local production and/or Disney telling their distribution arm to stop making money by syndicating it to dozens of non-ABC station group affiliates and then telling all of those local stations to give their lucrative 9am local hour back to the network in exchange for a midday hour or a lot of money.

Oh, and the high ratings and profits that are generated from LIVE would probably have to nosedive first.

So.. yeah, Sam Rubin and “the insiders” can keep speculating...

• Like 6

Canceling LIVE would mean ABC forcing WABC-TV to end a profitable local production and/or Disney telling their distribution arm to stop making money by syndicating it to dozens of non-ABC station group affiliates and then telling all of those local stations to give their lucrative 9am local hour back to the network in exchange for a midday hour or a lot of money.

Oh, and the high ratings and profits that are generated from LIVE would probably have to nosedive first.

So.. yeah, Sam Rubin and “the insiders” can keep speculating...

Fair enough. But Rubin emphasized executives being fed up with Kelly Ripa's demands and ego. We've seen networks make silly decisions with their personalities just to satisfy an executive's egos. Kelly was considered so profitable and important to ABC that they went behind her back to move her handpicked co-host to Good Morning America. GMA is definitely their priority over her.

(cross-post from Out & About...)

Latest local ratings report after WFAA's first GMA Day airing, and midday news move to 11am:

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/f2b5f10d183240fce6f2b0bcb2e69c52-4270.html

WFAA's GMA Day airing was 3rd in its slot, while their midday news at 11am was 4th in that slot.

• Like 1

Fair enough. But Rubin emphasized executives being fed up with Kelly Ripa's demands and ego. We've seen networks make silly decisions with their personalities just to satisfy an executive's egos. Kelly was considered so profitable and important to ABC that they went behind her back to move her handpicked co-host to Good Morning America. GMA is definitely their priority over her.

TV execs don't cancel shows because the host has a big ego.

• Like 5

Is Whit Johnson the new weekend GMA anchor?

He and Adrienne Bankert have been anchoring with Dan Harris, but no formal announcement has been made. I probably missed it, and only Wikipedia says she's done, but I'm not entirely sure Paula has formally left the show, yet.

He and Adrienne Bankert have been anchoring with Dan Harris, but no formal announcement has been made. I probably missed it, and only Wikipedia says she's done, but I'm not entirely sure Paula has formally left the show, yet.

She left the weekend show officially a month ago.

• Like 7