Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

For me, GMA always feels like there's too many cooks in the kitchen. There's been so many adding and adjusting to the talent lineup, I'm no longer a regular viewer (moved to CBS This Morning) but it just feels like they tinker with the cast every several months trying to find the right chemistry. How I wish simpler times when there were just two main anchors, a news reader and weatherperson, those were the days. Life was so much better without Pop News, the daily home shopping segment and audience clapping.

• Like 2

To be fair, they really don't play with the core, credited team too much. There's fluctuation in prominence and airtime, but it's been Robin, George, Michael, Lara, Amy and ginger for the better part of 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning America expands to 3 hours, taking up an afternoon timeslot:

[MEDIA=tumblr]did=2c015217d989ad8c36ecdad0deec8e44464f9f41;id=174184939726;key=8_Dml3Phzltc37h7f2CXAw;name=abcnewspr[/MEDIA]

The Chew is being sacrificed to bring the 3rd hour of GMA to life.

• Like 4

I...what?

This only makes sense if it's straight 7-10AM or the third hour is at 10AM after Kelly/Ryan. They could DOMINATE AM programming in most markets if they did that.

This feels like a Good Afternoon America revival. While there likely is a need to toss The Chew thanks to Mario Batali being a creep, this isn't the way to replace that hour of programming.

I...what?

This only makes sense if it's straight 7-10AM or the third hour is at 10AM after Kelly/Ryan. They could DOMINATE AM programming in most markets if they did that.

This feels like a Good Afternoon America revival. While there likely is a need to toss The Chew thanks to Mario Batali being a creep, this isn't the way to replace that hour of programming.

The issue is that if they expand GMA to 9am then that hurts corporate cousin "Live w/Kelly and Ryan".

Good Morning America expands to 3 hours, taking up an afternoon timeslot:

[MEDIA=tumblr]did=2c015217d989ad8c36ecdad0deec8e44464f9f41;id=174184939726;key=8_Dml3Phzltc37h7f2CXAw;name=abcnewspr[/MEDIA]

The Chew is being sacrificed to bring the 3rd hour of GMA to life.

Long overdue. The Chew has been a snoozefest for a while now.

I...what?

One of the articles says that hosts and show name are not finalized yet, so it may indeed be a GAA revival.

Problem with expanding in the morning is most central, pacific, and mountain stations air Live at 9, View at 10, and news at 11, followed by the Chew at 12.

The ideal scenario would be if all stations aired GMA from 7-10, Live at 10, View at 11, news at 12, and Rachael at 1, Millionaire & RTM at 2, and GH at 3. Yes I know some stations don’t carry some of the syndicated fair above.

That also confirms that GMA will go into the fall season as a 4-person show.

Yeah, although not the best four IMO. Perhaps this means a lesser role for Michael on the main show if he is named host of the expanded hour.

The issue is that if they expand GMA to 9am then that hurts corporate cousin "Live w/Kelly and Ryan".

And moving Live to another time slot presents its own problems.

If it's pre-taped, they could theoretically send it out to them at 11.

My main concern, as an expansion of some kind seemed inevitable, is that GMA:PM will be competing with Live! and The View for guests.

• Like 1

Good Afternoon America is back! I think Chew’s ratings dropped after Batali got fired for being a creep.

Maybe, but do you think it's fair to use this cancellation against those involve in the show due to one's heinous actions, granted he was a co-host?

My editor's note is this: Somewhat surprising with the news, but felt the GMA expansion was a long time coming due to its status + competition. How damaging would've if they moved 'Kelly + Ryan' a hr. back? They're 'cousins'. If I was head of ABC Daytime, I would've shorten GH to 1/2 hour + resurrect one of recent soaps (maybe OLTL) to fill the hour, maybe bring a closure to the spurned fans, but that's just me. Soap box shut off.

If I was at ABC Daytime, I'd be filling the schedule with game shows-- Three on a Match at 10am, Winfall (an unsold Merv Griffin pilot from 1988) at 10:30, Run for the Money (a pilot shot for ABC in 1987 that became Going for Gold in the UK) at 1:00, Split Second at 2:00 and The Big Showdown at 2:30.

My question is how WFAA will handle the 3rd hour of “GMA”, since it aired The Chew at 11am CT, followed by the Noon news.

Don’t forget there’s a similar situation in Baton Rouge and in San Antonio. In BR, WBRZ airs “The Chew” on a day delay at 11am, followed by their hour-long noon newscast. My thinking is WBRZ can move their noon news to 11am to accommodate the move, or (if ABC will let them), keep the noon newscast, move Wendy Williams from 2p to 11a, and air the ABC afternoon lineup (the GMA expanded hour and General Hospital) at 1p & 2p, respectively.

In San Antonio, the lineup is as follows on KSAT: news at 9a, Kelly & Ryan at 10, the View at 11, news at noon, KSAT’s highly rated “SA Live” at 1p, and The Chew & General Hospital at 2p & 3p, respectively. KSAT’s programming person is going to have major headaches trying to figure out what programming to put at what time for fall, for the benefit of both viewers in San Antonio and ABC....

My editor's note is this: Somewhat surprising with the news, but felt the GMA expansion was a long time coming due to its status + competition. How damaging would've if they moved 'Kelly + Ryan' a hr. back? They're 'cousins'.

That show is in syndication; it isn't a universal show on all ABC affiliates. They can't and would never be able to move it up or back because of the various contracts they have with individual stations (including CBS/NBC/Fox affiliates). I'm surprised they didn't just bump The View to noon and try GMA at 11am, where it would still be the actual morning.

My question is how WFAA will handle the 3rd hour of “GMA”, since it aired The Chew at 11am CT, followed by the Noon news.

There are a lot of these issues coming; WFAA actually delays it a day to carry it at 11am, while several stations delay it until 2pm same-day because they've got their own noon newscasts. On a big breaking news day? Nobody is going to be watching a tape-delayed newscast from the day before or even three hours.

• Like 2

If I was at ABC Daytime, I'd be filling the schedule with game shows-- Three on a Match at 10am, Winfall (an unsold Merv Griffin pilot from 1988) at 10:30, Run for the Money (a pilot shot for ABC in 1987 that became Going for Gold in the UK) at 1:00, Split Second at 2:00 and The Big Showdown at 2:30.

Truth be told, I'm shocked they didn't just order daily versions of Match Game and Pyramid for 1PM instead.

The nighttime versions are solid, they both tape in New York and I have to think it's cheaper than hiring a whole new crew at ABC News for this.

• Like 6

I don’t really get this - what was the point of cutting host and other personalities from the show if they were planning to expand? I love Robin and George but they canny carry the show alone with Michael for 3 hours.

An expanding show to me is perfect reason for keeping at least Amy. Good Morning America seems to blunder these opportunities pretty bad especially compared to Today who had a great expansion plan in 2000 and again in 2007.

I can't see Lara being too heavily involved in the show, since she only works three days a week now.

I wonder if ABC is looking for new talent for the program, or hiring from within.

If they do a four person panel, I could see them moving Sara Haines over from The View, she is much better at entertainment, Pop news, and celebrity interviews then she is at the political stuff on The View.

Paula Faris, Gio Benitez, T.J Homes could all be likely if they are hiring from within.

However, they might want a fresh face, and look for new talent.

I wonder if Josh Elliot might be coming back into the fold. ABC President Ben Shepherd always regretted that he got away.

• Like 2