Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

I don't see the point of the 3 anchor format. Michael is not a broadcast journalist. He is a former football player who just happens to be good hosting talk shows and game shows. This morning, Robin barely said a word for 10 minutes during the 7am A Block. She had a few lines during the open, but, that was about it. If they wanted a 3rd anchor, I don't understand why they didn't promote Amy. She is 200x times better. GMA better be careful. One slip-up and it could be back to #2. Today is catching up after the Ann Curry saga of 2012.

• Like 6

No doubt in my mind this show ratings success is toast. Robin and George don't look comfortable even a little bit with the new anchor format so the viewers will most definitely agree. This has to be the dumbest decision anyone has ever made in regards to GMA.

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind this show ratings success is toast. Robin and George don't look comfortable even a little bit with the new anchor format so the viewers will most definitely agree. This has to be the dumbest decision anyone has ever made in regards to GMA.

Kevin and Lisa would beg to differ.

• Like 4

Maybe I'm just being swept up in the latest wave of nostalgia, but I feel like these shows were better in the 90s, as in I feel like they both devoted far more time to actual news than celebrity gossip and summer/fall/etc drink recipes.

As its 15th anniversary approaches I wonder if September 11 caused all this; people are more afraid of the world and just want to "happy" news, or rather frivolous and want to be bothered with "the real world" as little as possible.

Just take a look at this presidential election. Reflective if you ask me.

This 3 Anchor format is not working for a few reason.

1) like already stated, they don't look comfortable. It looks forced and also Michael doesn't looks like he likes being there for the opening either.

2) His interactions with guests seem weird. He doesn't seem relax

3) When David was on Tuesday presenting his interview with Donald, he looked annoyed to answer Michaels questions. Which is understandable because he isn't a real journalist.

I'm surprise the bosses at GMA let him even do the serious topics. When Robin was out 3 years ago, they always let the non news personalities host the 2nd lighter hour, which I thought they were going to do with Michael.

As of right now GMA f'ed up big time and I think they all know it. Like I said in a previous post, I give it until December and then, January they will phase him out and give him a new position to satisfy the contract obligation. I think they saw how Michael was a big draw for Live and assume he would be a big draw here but when the Kelly fiasco happened his draw wasn't the same. If GMA wanted the Josh 2.0, they should have picked Jesse. Both Jesse and Amy chemistry is very well together. Heck even TJ Holmes chemistry is better than Michael.

It's been 3 days.

Three. Days.

Just saying.

Yeah I know but at the same time they had a bit of a test run for a couple of years now and in most cases, not all, the chemistry is already there that's all. It just feel like he was thrown in there (kinda feel like they haven't rehearsed at all, they just said action on Tuesday).

I watched yesterday morning and I thought it was decent. I think give them some time to work out the kinks and it could work well. I give them credit, the first hour is MUCH better than it's been for the past two years, hopefully they keep the newsier first hour after the election ends.

I'm interested to see what Lara's role is when she returns. My guess is she'll still have a big presence in the second hour with Michael. I wonder if as "co-anchor" she'll sit next to George when the show opens, when she gets back or if it'll just be Robin, George and Michael.

Also, if you ask me, I think Amy would be a great replacement eventually for Robin (whenever she does decide to leave, be it in 20 years...). If you ask me, Amy is a great anchor at ABC, and she's improved so much since she joined the network.

• Like 4

It's been 3 days.

Three. Days.

Just saying.

Granted, but there are some things that we've known for years and those things won't change I fear. Like the fact that Michael's chemistry seems forced with everyone but Robin, he stumbles over every other word, his delivery on GMA is like a dear caught in the headlights ("umm okay" "uhh alright coming up" "oh okay here's a look at..."), and most of all the fact that he's being forced into actual news stories when he lacks any journalistic qualities. I've always felt that one of the morning programs should have a dedicated sports anchor, why not create a position like that for Michael? It's painful watching him sit with the big boys and girls and pretend that he's on the same level as George or even Robin, I mean at least with Lara she just sits there during serious news topics.

Also, Lisa McRee and Kevin Newman turned out be disastrous for the program but even that era of GMA had lots of integrity led by journalist who were capable of displaying enough personality for the program. Michael's missing at least one of those.

• Like 6

his delivery on GMA is like a dear count in the headlights ("umm okay" "uhh alright coming up" "oh okay here's a look at...")

I didn't watch much (episode or two a month) of Live with Kelly and Michael during his tenure but he seemed to do that on Live as well. I think some of it may have to do with his skills at reading the TelePrompTer and I wonder if anyone has given him lessons on how to read one properly.

I don't watch Fox NFL Sunday (or any pregame show save for FNIA as I'm likely sleeping) so I don't necessarily know Michaels role on the show. I know analysts have to prepare tremendously for the show, take copious notes, know the game inside and out - but is one of the key skills to read from a TelePrompTer aside from a few tosses/teases?

When watching Football Night in America you can see their studio hosts read off the prompter. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like when their analysts like Tony Dungy are talking they seem to adlib or follow their notes.

Michael Strahan personally isn't my cup of tea as he seems a bit too goofy and aloof personality wise. That being said I've heard is that he's a good man. Even though he's played in the NFL for 15 and should be used to attention, nerves and pressure of a demanding job with millions watching it is important to remember that he is starting a new highly promoted job. Good Morning America is a huge upgrade from Live as it's the most watched morning show in the US. He has a lot of money riding on this and so does ABC it's completely normal to have jitters and mix ups on the first days.

• Like 1

I watched yesterday morning and I thought it was decent. I think give them some time to work out the kinks and it could work well. I give them credit, the first hour is MUCH better than it's been for the past two years, hopefully they keep the newsier first hour after the election ends.

I'm interested to see what Lara's role is when she returns. My guess is she'll still have a big presence in the second hour with Michael. I wonder if as "co-anchor" she'll sit next to George when the show opens, when she gets back or if it'll just be Robin, George and Michael.

Also, if you ask me, I think Amy would be a great replacement eventually for Robin (whenever she does decide to leave, be it in 20 years...). If you ask me, Amy is a great anchor at ABC, and she's improved so much since she joined the network.

I tihnk when Robin does leave (which I don't tihnk will be for some time) I tihnk Amy will be her replacement. ABC would be dumb to promote Lara over Amy. Amy seem to be filling in more and more then Lara is.

Any ABC/GMA executive who has read Amy book knows that she aspires to be a News Anchor of a Morning Show. It a dream job for her ever since she was at NBC.

in 2011 when Meredith leaning towards leaving and Ann be frontrunner to replace her (which would mean a spot would open up on the Third Hour) Amy really wanted that Job on 9am Hour with Al and Natalie (who would take over as News anchor) however it went to Savannah Guthrie instead and she was left disappointed and ind of hurt about the whole thing. She felt like it was her chance to move up fro Weekend TODAY and she writes in the book that she thought it was her and that it should have been her that she deserve it after all those years at NBC.

That is when ABC came calling and she decided to leave while the whole Ann Curry thing was going down although it was not publicly known. she knew she was not going to get the job

• Like 3

Strahan is awful on Good Morning America. It was nice seeing him report every now and then as a part timer. But at the main anchor desk at 7am and reporting serious news?! What is ABC thinking? His debut week was a dud. ABC was down double digits from last year and only 69,000 viewers separated Good Morning America from TODAY while NBC held a 20% lead in the news demo. Good Morning America is in trouble and Strahan is adding to their problems.

It was great watching on Friday when Strahan was off and George and Amy (sitting in for Robin) led the show. Can't wait to watch on Monday since Strahan will be off due to football. As for the rest of the week, I'll be switching to CBS.

should have only had strahan only for fluff parts etc or if they do a third hour of gma

Agreed. I would have been fine with him opening up the 8am hour and leading the celebrity interviews. Sorry, he seems like a nice guy but I don't want to see him sitting next to George and Robin as they report on North Korea testing nuclear weapons and the latest news from the presidential election.

ABC was down double digits from last year and only 69,000 viewers separated Good Morning America from TODAY while NBC held a 20% lead in the news demo. Good Morning America is in trouble and Strahan is adding to their problems.

That's also only the second week out of the Olympics. Don't get me wrong ABC has a problem it needs to fix, primarily the demo, but all your doing is really hyperbolizing the situation.

Forgive me but this always annoys the crap out of me.. GMA and Today are essentially the exact same program with different personalities. How is it possible that you're capable of tolerating one but hate the other one for the exact same thing? I guess my issue with it is because people seem to give TODAY a pass for their constant Kardashin, Duggars, and Hollywood drivel while railing against GMA for providing the same content?

Both shows should fail, I think they're both garbage.

Such a great point. I wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 2

Now that we have two weeks of Michael Strahan on the job, I have to say that I'm underwhelmed. He seems like a nice man. He has undeniable charm. But I don't think he's bringing anything fresh or unique to the broadcast... certainly, there's nothing there that merits the seeming equal billing he's getting with Robin and George in promotion. In fact, the hard sell he's getting from the network is actually becoming off-putting.

Granted, but there are some things that we've known for years and those things won't change I fear. Like the fact that Michael's chemistry seems forced with everyone but Robin, he stumbles over every other word, his delivery on GMA is like a dear caught in the headlights ("umm okay" "uhh alright coming up" "oh okay here's a look at..."), and most of all the fact that he's being forced into actual news stories when he lacks any journalistic qualities. I've always felt that one of the morning programs should have a dedicated sports anchor, why not create a position like that for Michael? It's painful watching him sit with the big boys and girls and pretend that he's on the same level as George or even Robin, I mean at least with Lara she just sits there during serious news topics..

I was just thinking that. In Australia, there is a sport anchor on the 'today' show on channel nine. So why wouldn't it work here? They already have michael and jesse palmer. They could rotate ESPN anchors (esp. newbies + not yet star players a la SVP) to fill in + in turn have their moment of shine.

I was just thinking that. In Australia, there is a sport anchor on the 'today' show on channel nine. So why wouldn't it work here? They already have michael and jesse palmer. They could rotate ESPN anchors (esp. newbies + not yet star players a la SVP) to fill in + in turn have their moment of shine.

Heck, that's why they brought in that Tony guy for what seemed like a week before switching to Jesse. Wasn't that sort of the plan for Mike and Mike, too?

• Like 5

They not only had Michael Strahan do a VO for the 7am open regarding the terrorist bombing in the NYC-area but then also had him at the anchor desk interviewing former NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly. Amy Robach, a real journalist, was sidelined for just about the entire first hour. GMA is a joke.

• Like 5

Michael Strahan decided to speak to People Magazine for an on camera and print about his relationship with Kelly Ripa and did not portray the "Live" debacle in the best possible way... all that as he's describing how he's all about being a good player for the Disney/ABC team. And now, ABC execs aren't thrilled.

On a related note, he's still pretty awful as pretend-news anchor for GMA. I really hope they act quickly to fix this.

• Like 4

Can you please stop posting your distaste for Michael every few days. You said the same thing on Monday, it gets old to read.

Can you add something useful or relevant to this conversation or are you just here to add negativity to the board? On a related note, your opinion about how many times is too much for one to post about the same subject really has nothing to do with the conversation the rest of us have been having.

Back the original topic of Good Morning America: I do hope they give a chance to the actual journalists working there to have the same position and billing as Strahan has received. Again I liked him a lot on "Live", but the seriousness of the news being presented and the importance it has on the daily lives of GMA's viewers is far to great to have an inexperienced journalist having a prominent role in the broadcast.

And on a somewhat related topic: has anyone checked out the weekend Good Morning America anchors' live periscope broadcasts? Very funny!

• Like 1