Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

I guess it's somewhat intriguing. but for a studio audience with another co-anchor? why didn't Michael just stay at LIVE?

That makes so much sense.

Why would Michael leave a talk show with a studio audience...only to join another talk show with a studio audience? Even under the GMA name?

So baffling.

• Like 2

Why would Michael leave a talk show with a studio audience...only to join another talk show with a studio audience? Even under the GMA name?

So baffling.

ABC is not thinking!!!! They just proved it again by keeping Ryan on DWTS!!!! Disney/ABC, You have other things to work on, not Micheal and Ryan on ABC!!!!

So baffling.

Maybe this is why Kelly was worried about Live. It seems like she probably knew what GMA was planning and if this experiment worked out, it would replace her show. Because essentially it seems like the same show. Still if I was Michael I would have not taken this offer because if it does fail, then he would be no use to GMA. He isn't the best teleprompter reader, he gets tounge tied a lot (not fault of his own but the gap) and his interviews are a hit and miss. That's why I always say don't let money completely motivate you on accepting a job because it is so much more than that. I give this experiment at least til December. If it doesn't hurt the ratings then it is something you'll see on GMA for a couple of years if it does however, we will have a send off for Michael by January where they'll give him a new BS title but he isn't on the show full time anymore. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Maybe this is why Kelly was worried about Live. It seems like she probably knew what GMA was planning and if this experiment worked out, it would replace her show. Because essentially it seems like the same show. Still if I was Michael I would have not taken this offer because if it does fail, then he would be no use to GMA. He isn't the best teleprompter reader, he gets tounge tied a lot (not fault of his own but the gap) and his interviews are a hit and miss. That's why I always say don't let money completely motivate you on accepting a job because it is so much more than that. I give this experiment at least til December. If it doesn't hurt the ratings then it is something you'll see on GMA for a couple of years if it does however, we will have a send off for Michael by January where they'll give him a new BS title but he isn't on the show full time anymore. Time will tell.

Well it has been known that GMA always wanted to have a third hour and compete with Today show. Even though GMA is #1 morning show it does not generate as much revenue as Today show cause Today has four hours of programming unlike GMA's two hours. They wanted to make Live with Kelly apart of GMA.

• Like 1

Even though GMA is #1 morning show

Are they even anymore though? I read somewhere they lead in overall viewers but Today does better in the demo (and like you pointed makes more money for NBC than GMA does for ABC).

• Like 1

Are they even anymore though? I read somewhere they lead in overall viewers but Today does better in the demo (and like you pointed makes more money for NBC than GMA does for ABC).

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/morning-show-ratings-week-of-august-22-2/302923

Today won last week in both total viewers and in the demo, their first non-Olympics weekly win since March.

If you go by season overall GMA is still #1, demo win is good for advertisers but does not make a show #1 in terms of better booking and overall viewership.

GMA will have a new set and a studio audience beginning next week.

A studio audience? Blech. Sorry. That's a terrible idea. Now we're going to have the anchors doing headlines to audience applause? No, no, no!

I was never a fan of GMA anyways but this makes me deflect over to CBSTM, big time!

I think I might do the same thing. I can't do Today, except for the Hoda/Kathie Lee hour (and that's more of its own talk/View entity). It feels like it might be time to see what CBS is up to these days.

It feels like it might be time to see what CBS is up to these days.

Trust me, you're in for a much better experience watching CBS.

A studio audience? Blech. Sorry. That's a terrible idea. Now we're going to have the anchors doing headlines to audience applause? No, no, no!

Ironically (and funnily) enough, CBS actually did have a similar format for the old CBSTM back in the mid to late 90s. Co-hosts Harry Smith, Paula Zahn and Mark McEwen brought a studio audience with them to the Broadcasting Center. It's exactly what you think it would turn out--depending on your view.

• Like 1

I think CBS is finally doing its morning show right. So much so that I may just turn to them instead. I can't stand GMA since its going to its entertainment-driven fluff. I can handle Today but only like maybe the first hour if I do watch.

I think CBSTM will soon take over GMA for second place and I hope they do. GMA just sucks now.

I think CBS is finally doing its morning show right. So much so that I may just turn to them instead. I can't stand GMA since its going to its entertainment-driven fluff. I can handle Today but only like maybe the first hour if I do watch.

I think CBSTM will soon take over GMA for second place and I hope they do. GMA just sucks now.

Gotta technically fall to 2nd to get passed for 2nd.

Forgive me but this always annoys the crap out of me.. GMA and Today are essentially the exact same program with different personalities. How is it possible that you're capable of tolerating one but hate the other one for the exact same thing? I guess my issue with it is because people seem to give TODAY a pass for their constant Kardashin, Duggars, and Hollywood drivel while railing against GMA for providing the same content?

Both shows should fail, I think they're both garbage.

• Like 3

Both shows should fail, I think they're both garbage.

Maybe I'm just being swept up in the latest wave of nostalgia, but I feel like these shows were better in the 90s, as in I feel like they both devoted far more time to actual news than celebrity gossip and summer/fall/etc drink recipes.

As its 15th anniversary approaches I wonder if September 11 caused all this; people are more afraid of the world and just want to "happy" news, or rather frivolous and want to be bothered with "the real world" as little as possible.

Sorry if this is too off-topic but it's something I've noticed with the morning shows, not just GMA or Today or whoever.

• Like 1

I sometimes think we're a bit hard on Good Morning America, and Today. I just feel like these shows are evolving with the times, with this pop culture driven society. Trust me, I'm sure both shows heavily researched, and if it wasn't working, I'm almost positive both shows probably wouldn't spend so much time on "fluff and pop news.."

• Like 2

Yeah, it wasn't ready yesterday. Funny thing is, the "relaunch" (without the new set), was really not much different than normal, except for Michael sitting at the desk. No significant format changes on what was supposed to be a new day.

• Like 2

The Ribbons finally got a new look.

Looks great.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/09/07/good-morning-america-gets-shorter-name-new-open/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=FBPost

And the opening is even shorter, Michael's name gets a billing and the announcer goes by "GMA". Why?

That was rhetotical. I know why.

Because in my opinion, right now, Michael is an okay co-host. He was a great co-host on Live, but he's only good in doses here. Just like Lara was. (And look how that turned ou with her).

The fact that they're giving him more time on-screen and giving him equal billing when he doesn't deserve it (IMO) will end up exactly like Lara--not a success.

• Like 1