Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

As for her being offered a position, this is news to me. I don't recall any of that. I remember them wanting more testosterone on the show after Sam and Josh left, hence why Michael was brought on.

If I remember correctly they offered both host a role on GMA because the show was looking for star power after losing two key players. Kelly turned down the deal because she wasn't interested, they offered the role to Michael and he took it.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly they offered both host a role on GMA because the show was looking for star power after losing two key players. Kelly turned down the deal because she wasn't interested, they offered the role to Michael and he took it.

Was searching the web but I could not find anything about this. I honestly don't remember anything about this.

The only thing that I've heard about GMA and Kelly is she was mentioned as a fill-in for Robin when Robin was out all those months.

I'll have to find it sometime. I know for certain Brian Stetler reported this, it was in the same article announcing Strahan's initial hiring at GMA.

I'll back you up on this, too. I remember the discussions taking place for both her possibly filling in for Robin AND the opportunity to join part-time. If I recall, the Strahan hire had come virtually out of nowhere right when Josh's exit was looming, and only when the deal was confirmed did it come out that Kelly had turned it down.

Allegedly Kelly isn't the only one furious, Lara Spencer is also mad at the execs naming Michael co-anchor. Michael is being promised the 8:00 AM hour and as many have already said Lara's role will decrease.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3550749/Lara-Spencer-furious-bosses-giving-Michael-Strahan-Good-Morning-America-role-promised-main-anchor.html

I hope Lara's upset, hopefully she'll leave. I read an article that the show is being reformatted in September around Robin, George and Michael as the leads. George and Amy will handle more of the news aspect while Robin and Michael take on the lighter things.

• Like 2

I've now seen a whole bunch of theories as to what the show's reformatting might involve, and I'll just say that the turmoil around 'Live' just might be the least of ABC's worries. A lot of "playing with fire".

• Like 2

WGN Morning News producer Jeff Hoover frequently resurrects Andy Rooney for special commentary. Ladies and gentlemen, Andy Rooney...

"Sometimes I get it but I don't get it at all. Like why is everyone fighting over Michael Strahan? I mean, he seems nice, but he's not the greatest interviewer. And he's not incredibly talented unless you needed him to tackle someone. Although if "Circus of the Stars" was still on, I bet he could floss that gap between his teeth using Kelly Ripa. And what's her deal? She's not going to return to the show until Michael leaves. She makes $20 million a year to sit in a chair and yap for an hour with Josh Groban or Kesley Grammer. And he's going to make as much to sit at an anchor desk and try to yap along with what seems to be 9,000 other co-hosts on "GMA" for two hours. Come on, Kelly. You have a show with your name on it. Michael has to work twice as long and share the stage with a cast of thousands. Suck it up, Kelly. Just get Gelman to get Regis Philbin out of the cryogenic chamber and he'll be thawed out by September. But, maybe she likes all of this drama. It makes sense since she used to be on a soap opera. Speaking of soap, I never liked Irish Spring. The whole "Manly yes, but I like it, too" slogan burned my keister. Or it might have been the one time Harry Reasoner left Thai food out in the break room at "60 Minutes" over the weekend. I came in on Monday after a sailing bender with Walter Cronkite and ate spicy papaya salad out of a Styrofoam container like a rabid duck. I emitted more blue flame than the Batmobile. Ed Bradley lit a cigarette and damn near blew up the CBS Building. Luckily for all of us, Dan Rather put out the fire on my eyebrows with his Mr. Pibb. Did you ever notice there wasn't a Mrs. Pibb?"

• Like 2

i would release lara from her contract and fire kelly after her stunt she just pulled

Thankfully you're not in charge. I think many more sympathize with Kelly than those who are labeling her as rich and stubborn. So firing her would be an even bigger PR nightmare than they already have in their hands. Plain and simple, not only was this a bad decision, but to top it off, it was poorly handled. Give it a week for heads to cool off and I'm sure things will be a bit better.

• Like 1

Thankfully you're not in charge. I think many more sympathize with Kelly than those who are labeling her as rich and stubborn. So firing her would be an even bigger PR nightmare than they already have in their hands. Plain and simple, not only was this a bad decision, but to top it off, it was poorly handled. Give it a week for heads to cool off and I'm sure things will be a bit better.

Indeed, Kelly staying away for a few days might be just the ticket for things to simmer down. Keep in mind that all we know is unsubstantiated gossip which varies depending on what publication you read it in.

• Like 1

Could Michael joining GMA full time not just be a precursor of an expanded GMA but a Good Afternoon America, with Lara and Michael?

I agree with those that have said that ABC had the power to "move" Michael from Live to GMA. The money from advertisers is in the mornings, hence the expansion of Today to four hours (from coffee at 7 AM to wine at 10... AM). If GMA does decide to expand to three hours, I can easily see Lara and Michael being the main anchors of the 9 AM hour. They can very much rival and surpass Today's Take.

However, if this is the case, this DOES weaken ABC's daytime lineup, as the network only fixed an hour of their lineup. Live is definitely unstable now with finding a new co-host for Kelly. The View's struggles are well-documented. ABC O&Os having to expand newscasts to an hour at noon, and news at 4. Then there's The Chew and FABLife, which I'm not sure how they are doing, but I can't imagine that they are that dominant.

• Like 3

This has gotten a bit ugly. I do tihnk Disney could have handled it better.

Michael has a right to make a job change of course if he want. Kelly allowed to be mad if she want to be and same with Gelman. Disney has a right to negotiate contracts and make changes to shows but but as I understand that now how you do things in showbiz the way Disney went about things. as I understand even some top ABC executives had no idea about any of this until way recently.

I don't tihnk Kelly mad Michael leaving LIVE! but is mad now things was handled but she should show and be an adult. Michael should have told Gelman (I know they didn't have a good relationship but till) several months ago when talks started that he was thinking about waving LIVE! as Executive Producer Gelman had a right to know about any changes being made that effected his show form the get go. He should have been in the loop all along.

Kelly should have been told a couple weeks ago before she left for Spring Break. I tihnk part of her is mad because Michael said LIVE would always be his main home. But opinions can change

Then there's The Chew and FABLife, which I'm not sure how they are doing, but I can't imagine that they are that dominant.

FABLife was cancelled back in January. Executive Producer and co-host Tyra Banks left the show in November 2015, just two months after its premiere. ABC/Disney has taken over distribution of viral video strip "Right this Minute" from MGM Television and will be plugging it into the slot vacated by FABLife in the fall at its O&Os.

• Like 2

I really cannot believe how this has been blown out of proportion. This is how TV works, Michael probably couldn't say anything to Kelly about it so he didn't. Regardless, he gave her a 4 month advance notice that he was leaving the program. Common courtesy is simply a 2 weeks notice. There's no way that she didn't know that negotiations were on going because Gelman knew about this for months. The reality to me seems to be that Kelly is pissed because she didn't want this to happen and now it's too late so she's throwing a fit. Screw all the talk about it being some under the table deal, that's just what sounds good to the hungry tabloid media.

• Like 1

I really cannot believe how this has been blown out of proportion. This is how TV works, Michael probably couldn't say anything to Kelly about it so he didn't. Regardless, he gave her a 4 month advance notice that he was leaving the program. Common courtesy is simply a 2 weeks notice. There's no way that she didn't know that negotiations were on going because Gelman knew about this for months. The reality to me seems to be that Kelly is pissed because she didn't want this to happen and now it's too late so she's throwing a fit. Screw all the talk about it being some under the table deal, that's just what sounds good to the hungry tabloid media.

Gelman did not know for Months. He found out on Tuesday Morning after the show with Kelly

• Like 1

On another note... This week has been my first in a while watching GMA in its entirety. Does Lara still fill in for Robin when she's away? Amy is anchoring today for Robin, but there's no news reader. In fact Amy read the headlines in the 8am hour, so she's filling in for Robin and doing her normal duties. Is this common? Also the soft set really sucks and is very ugly.