Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

You said it yourself, though; the GMA format has always been a mix of hard and soft content. If they'd been doing 5 hours of death and destruction and Trump til now, they'd be drawing the internet equivalent of hash marks. Don't tell me that if CBS was doing something like this, that they wouldn't be tapping into the broader resources of the network, like 60 Minutes, Stephen Colbert, the ladies of The Talk, or even Entertainment Tonight. A few select hours of a 40 hour program is a bad sample size, and if you want the 24 hour news cycle, there're a dozen other channels for that. Even if it's silly and generally a waste of the viewers' time, this is an ambition project, nonetheless. When Peter Jennings did his 25 hour marathon at the new millennium, there were people that were worried that the world was going to end, we'd all go bankrupt and planes would fall out of the sky, yet that was only a part of the full broadcast. I'll bet you that, come 7am, normal GMA will be on the air with 60-90 minutes of the latest on the apocalypse, and we all won't have missed much.

• Like 2

Granted GMA was created to be the light alternative to Today, but the bit of GMA's 40 for 40 broadcast has only underscored for me how far ABC News has fallen. The line between news and entertainment is so blurred at this point, one is indistinguishable from the other.

And you're obviously not paying attention. The entire first hour of the livestream was all news, analysis and discussion of current events. It's so unoriginal when people try to pile onto GMA for being an entertainment option especially considering the fact that the show has taken a serious turn from the fluff stuff in the past month. Calling GMA entertainment geared has just become so status quo that you and others don't even care to actually fairly critic or analyze the actual broadcast.

No i'm totally respectful and open to other people's opinions but it's getting old of hearing the whole "GMA is tabloidish" when in reality they're no different than their closest competitor in the amount of unserious news topics they present(used to present) in one broadcast. My comment was simply pointing out that those who fail to see just how similar Good Morning America is to Today, really can't comprehend why their claims about GMA are so ironic. The show's are and always have targeted the same audience. GMA is flashier because of the graphics and quick pace of the program but ultimately the content is the exact same so stop just stop with trying to make NBC's morning offering seem like some real hard hitter broadcasting, while calling ABC's morning edition of TMZ.

Okay come on now people. Were acting like this is a big deal. It's like the red cup...we all have different views of subjects. We need to learn to accept other's opinions even if we don't agree with them.

If someone is going to post on here, I just ask that they do their homework before posting something that is clearly out dated and out of touch.

• Like 2

Considering the regional delay and stuff, I don't know, but they've been at headquarters for the last few hours, so they could have some of the lower-ranking team members continue the stream from their Social Square-recreated virtual set uptown.

The whole "Today has just as much fluff as GMA" justification carries as much weight with me as a child telling me that "everyone else is doing it!"

I'm not saying one show is more tabloid than the other. They're both an embarrassment. That's just my opinion. If you're a GMA (or Today) fangirl, my apologies. For me, a news division using airtime to hawk flatware is a turn off.

The whole "Today has just as much fluff as GMA" justification carries as much weight with me as a child telling me that "everyone else is doing it!"

I'm not saying one show is more tabloid than the other. They're both an embarrassment. That's just my opinion. If you're a GMA (or Today) fangirl, my apologies. For me, a news division using airtime to hawk flatware is a turn off.

And that's why there are many channels to choose from. Unless you have something substantial to add to the thread, we don't need to hear your complaining.

• Like 1

Not really interested nor do I care about what pleases you. Simple as that. You stated an opinion and I stated mine. Simple as that. If you don't like a show so much and have predetermined that it's a waste of your time, why are you investing so much into criticizing it? That's the real embarrassment, if you ask me.

Excuse while my bitchy inner "fangirl" comes out...

1. Nobody here is holding a gun to your head, forcing to watch either GMA or Today.
  2. Call me when a CBS This Morning reaches 10 years, much less 40 years. Also, give me a call when they actually reach 2nd place.

That said, I take no issue with how any of the news divisions, network or cable, conduct their morning shows. That way, there's a product for everyone, but don't get on my case for watching one of the many options. Heck, GMA's not even my usual morning show. I regularly worship at the church of Larry, Robin, and Paul.

• Like 1

I regularly worship at the church of Larry, Robin, and Paul.

It's really too bad they didn't do something like this for their 20th anniversary last year... 20 hours of WGN Morning News, now that would've been fun.

This GMA stream is pretty cool though... I've found myself tuning in a few times, and I'm not really even a fan of the show.

• Like 1

Quick overview of the overnight hours. World News Now is being broadcast like normal during the stream, but the commercial breaks are being filled by this guy and this lady hanging out and doing various jobs at a Times Square all-night diner. They also going to be checking out various haunts in the area as the night progresses. It's not really GMA-ish, but it's kinda fun, and it breaks up the full-on Paris coverage that WNN is providing tonight.

Outside of my antenna/LiveWell feed this YouTube stream (leftover from One Direction's earlier performance) has been providing the best quality for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMl3Ix9EE4

Quick overview of the overnight hours. World News Now is being broadcast like normal during the stream, but the commercial breaks are being filled by this guy and this lady hanging out and doing various jobs at a Times Square all-night diner. They also going toight be checking out various haunts in the area as the night progresses. It's not really GMA-ish, but it's kinda fun, and it breaks up the full-on Paris coverage that WNN is providing tonight.

Outside of my antenna/LiveWell feed this YouTube stream (leftover from One Direction's earlier performance) has been providing the best quality for me...

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the livestream even so far as well.

There are very good segments, very good happy talk by hour hosts (who give great performances), and I've never thought for once of changing the channel for something else on TV (mostly because I kept the stream on online). Seriously, thank goodness the event is also airing on the LiveWell subchannel.

Plus, the aforementioned break fillers are really fun to watch. The banter between the bespectacled hosts has a nice alternative from the somberly serious coverage on WNN. It was sorely needed to keep me from getting angry at the TV. Overall, two big thumbs up.

I so can't wait to watch more from the livestream later on today and during GMA tomorrow.

Quick overview of the overnight hours. World News Now is being broadcast like normal during the stream, but the commercial breaks are being filled by this guy and this lady hanging out and doing various jobs at a Times Square all-night diner. They also going toight be checking out various haunts in the area as the night progresses. It's not really GMA-ish, but it's kinda fun, and it breaks up the full-on Paris coverage that WNN is providing tonight.

With them going to WNN/ATM with the GMA breaks, all I could think is that "Aren't they technically cheating?" Yes they are streaming 40 hours but it said 40 hours of GMA, not 80% GMA and 20% WNN/ATM. I'm not mad I just find it interesting that technically speaking, they are not airing 40 hours of GMA.

Personally, I am just waiting for the Tech Power Hour around Midnight tonight. It's being simulcast and co-produced at TWiT.tv, an amazing 24/7 Tech/Geek Network, using their unique flipped-staff studios[1] to broadcast and a free after-the-fact downloadable Podcast. Also, Becky Worley and Leo Laporte are a great duo (especially as they worked together on The Screen Savers from TechTV).

[1]: (one technical director doing everything w/ fixed cameras and many on screen personalities compared to traditional TV which is ~50 people behind-the-scenes including operators and ~5 on screen)

I'm still watching the livestream and during a live behind-the-scenes walk into the set, I see they completely revamped the Social Square. It looks so completely different from the last time--and much nicer;

it's warmer, more homey, much more wood-y and a lot less white and bright.

Check out the YouTube stream on 24994J's last post and go back to before today's regular GMA broadcast where TJ Holmes walks into it for a BTS look and he'll peek into it. So darn nice. Great job to the designers!

I'm still watching the livestream and during a live behind-the-scenes walk into the set, I see they completely revamped the Social Square. It looks so completely different from the last time--and much nicer;

it's warmer, more homey, much more wood-y and a lot less white and bright.

Check out the YouTube stream on 24994J's last post and go back to before today's regular GMA broadcast where TJ Holmes walks into it for a BTS look and he'll peek into it. So darn nice. Great job to the designers!

Everything looks better than I remember before the stream but since I am usually asleep during the morning hours, I rarely watch morning shows. However when I am awake, I watch FOX 2 News in the Morning (KTVI STL). Honestly, the last time I watched GMA was some time in between 2008-10.

I will say this has been one of the most unique marketing thing I have seen in years. Streaming a show called Good Morning America for 40 hours straight (even starting at Night, how ironic) and online only (no ads even other than the standard first-page load on the ABCNews.com site (That YouTube stream doesn't have ads!). The money of this size of a production had to be big and to not have ads is crazy.

Last unique marketing thing like this that I can remember was

Also, when GMA begins to look for what to do after Robin and George leave, Amy and TJ Holmes make a great pair.

When they leave GMA for good? I think we have quite a few years before ABC even needs to think about that. Of course it is always good to have a backup but I don't see either making a move anytime soon.

They have Charlie, Diane, Joan, David, Sam and Spencer on right now and they just brought in Geraldo Rivera from Paris.

With Sam and Josh visiting, I wonder if they will try to get to the executives and see if they can get some kind of spot at ABC again because both are basically hidden by NBC.