Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

In true 'Hell freezes over' fashion, ABC is said to be in talks with NBC and Josh Elliott to buy out the remaining two years of his contract at the peacock and return him to GMA in his former newsreader role, perhaps as early as September. Everyone involved is denying it right now, but it wouldn't be on Variety if there wasn't a germ of truth to it.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/josh-elliott-in-talks-to-return-to-good-morning-america-exclusive-1201552833/

I like Josh but I love Amy so I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the show needs him back, but on the other, Amy is a rising star at ABC. Amy is the main fill in for David Muir on World News Tonight.

Crazy thoughts...

Paula Faris joins 'The View', and leaves the weekend show, despite previous reports.

Amy moves to the weekend show (yes, demoted).

Josh returns to the main show.

Strahan/Palmer/both exit the show.

I will say, despite his now-legendary ego, Josh was a really good fit on the show. He had a fantastic on-air with each member of the team. Of course, his bromance with Sam was strongest, but he had a great sibling-like goofy side with Lara, a similar ascent into news that endeared him to Robin, and Josh was literally the anti-George for good balance, but with enough journalistic chops to hold his own. A return might just be what the doctor ordered.

I really don't see how this will work. Strahan and Palmer are both really good parts of the show too. Honestly, I think Lara is the weakest link right now, recent reports say viewers prefer Amy to fill in for Robin over Lara.

Overall, I think this would be a great decision for ABC. Keep Strahan and Palmer on the show as contributors, Josh is news anchor, and Amy gets a new title on the weekday show.

In my opinion, GMA needs a bit of a refresh in addition to Josh. Brand new graphics (more than the update), an updated music package (same general sound, just updates like Today made), and definitely a new set.

If anything, I think if Josh comes back it'll essentially be to set up him lead anchoring the inevitable third hour.

My thoughts exactly. Give him a year to get back into the swing of things, then Josh and Lara anchor the third hour.

I just absolutely can not see Amy being demoted to weekends, viewers love her and like I said, she is a rising start at ABC.

The only way I see her leaving weekdays is if she gets weekend GMA plus weekend WNT with her name on the program. She could be the Lester Holt of ABC on the weekends.

If this goes down, I wonder if a job split will happen; perhaps Amy doing news the first hour and segments the second hour, Josh reads for hour two and does segments the first hour. Or is that too complicated?

That's crazy. I've got to agree with the ABCer from the Mediaite story "the show doesn't want nor feel they need him" while Josh's personality from when he started on GMA is missed, the show hasn't missed a beat without him. Amy is not being demoted, she fits in just as well as Josh did. Now where I could see something working out is if George decides to depart and Josh be brought in as his successor. Come to think of it, GMA doesn't really have a clear successor for George.

I think they're banking on George for a number of years. Of course, they need some sort of emergency plan, but grooming a formal successor shouldn't be a top priority, and it would look a little bad.

You're probably right, I'm just hoping that ABC will be ready when the time comes. I think it could do them some good to look outside the network for a male replacement when the time comes, someone who carries a big name and even bigger presence with them, something like NBC did with Meredith.

Does anyone know why the default ABC News ticker during America This Morning and Good Morning America does not match their graphics package and why don't they provide a default standard style for their affiliates to cover up?

• 1 month later...
Rob was basically anchoring entertainment style stuff while at ET and when he was at CNN he anchored the news from time to time so ABC having him anchor when needed is nothing he can't handle.

Regardless of whether he can handle it or not, it is still unusual to see someone in a non-news role to perform a news role, especially as an anchor and especially at the national level.

So this is from earlier this month but I just saw it and found it interesting. Basically, both Josh Elliot and Sam Champion are realizing what we already know. They were lured from GMA to NBC simply to tear apart the GMA family, not because NBC actually cares about them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/sam-champion-leave-weather-channel-back-abc-article-1.2356308

Apparently Sam went to ABC asking to return to GMA and ABC said they didn't have room for him anymore.

I also find this interesting,

But Elliott’s future at NBC has become uncertain, and he’s rarely been seen on air. Worse, he got a lukewarm endorsement from his boss, NBC Sports chief Mark Lazarus, in an interview Thursday with The Wrap.

“Josh is still at this point a part of the company and we’re working to see what kind of schedules can work,” Lazarus said. Asked if there was a “good chance” Elliott won’t be part of NBC in the near future, Lazarus responded, “Don’t know.”

That sounds anything but certain about Josh's future at NBC.

So this is from earlier this month but I just saw it and found it interesting. Basically, both Josh Elliot and Sam Champion are realizing what we already know. They were lured from GMA to NBC simply to tear apart the GMA family, not because NBC actually cares about them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/sam-champion-leave-weather-channel-back-abc-article-1.2356308

Apparently Sam went to ABC asking to return to GMA and ABC said they didn't have room for him anymore.

I also find this interesting,

That sounds anything but certain about Josh's future at NBC.

Neither of them should have left but both left for greed thinking that they would be happy in greener pastures, but things didn't pan out for them. There's really no place for Sam at ABC, Ginger and Rob have been holding down the fort in the weather department. Sam could try on knocking on the doors at CBS perhaps or perhaps chill with his other morning buddy Chris Cuomo at CNN. As for Josh, it seems like he was betting that he would be Matt's successor or at least have more presence on the NBC morning program, but obviously Today is still Matt's turf and domain and the cast has decided to support each other in solidarity after that much talked about failed reboot last year; things seemed to have gone sour with Josh ever since that incident. In the NBC Sports side, Bob Costas is still going strong and I don't think he'll be retiring anytime soon; I'm a little confused as to why Josh didn't score his own program on NBCSN. I would say that Josh has more of a chance going back to the Alphabet network, but not that much since ABC is already well equipped with talent; if The View sinks even further this season, then perhaps the network could potentially consider him as some sort of talent for that alternative panel show that they are developing as a replacement for the show.

• Like 1

Said it from the beginning as did so many others. This was bound to backfire on the two of them only, not ABC or NBC. They both have the same agent who made outrageous demands that ABC was not okay with and ABC took a bet by letting them walk. It's turned out well for the network and now these two are left blowing in the wind. It's funny because it was hard to imagine GMA being the same without their presence but the show has faired well and added great personalities to fill the void. I could see Josh returning to the network in some form and then maybe as a replacement to George.

• Like 2

One you leave you can't always go home as Sam and Josh learned. They are not going to boot Ginger off so he can get his old job back. they are still number 1 and Ginger is popular. It did backfire on them and I think they thought NBC would use them a lot about they haven't much. It did backfire

Now Josh is another story. From the sounds of it he was a Diva. I think all those stories in the press were true now as in her book Amy write about how on the day that she was at the hospital for all the testings and when she found out she had cancer Josh called her because he needed to vent about GMA or something (probably had to with Lara) that happened that day. He obviously couldn't really vent to Robin and probably wasn't that close really to George. Amy was still fairly new so he knew he could vent to her

But it was obviously he wasn't happy about how things were at GMA and would not have left if he wan;'t and considering his outrageous salary demands. They thought if they threaten to leave ABC would buckle but they didn't.

One you leave you can't always go home as Sam and Josh learned. They are not going to boot Ginger off so he can get his old job back. they are still number 1 and Ginger is popular. It did backfire on them and I think they thought NBC would use them a lot about they haven't much. It did backfire

Now Josh is another story. From the sounds of it he was a Diva. I think all those stories in the press were true now as in her book Amy write about how on the day that she was at the hospital for all the testings and when she found out she had cancer Josh called her because he needed to vent about GMA or something (probably had to with Lara) that happened that day. He obviously couldn't really vent to Robin and probably wasn't that close really to George. Amy was still fairly new so he knew he could vent to her

But it was obviously he wasn't happy about how things were at GMA and would not have left if he wan;'t and considering his outrageous salary demands. They thought if they threaten to leave ABC would buckle but they didn't.

Don't be fooled. Sam was a diva too.

• Like 1