Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

Might as well post this here, but what's with GMA's infatuation with the Pharell song "Happy"? They play the song on virtually every promo for GMA. That song has always played to death (not just by GMA, but by the media in general) to the point it annoys the hell out of me every time it's played...

They seem to do it with every flavor of the month song. They have taken this one a little further than normal. I'd expect something new in May (for sweeps) or even June (for summer).

It's being used as their promotional song it seems, I originally liked the song and it's still catchy but it's being played to death. The song is spending it's 6th or 7th straight week at the top of the billboard charts.

rglpxhl.png

So what now, another studio/desk modification? Could this mean the return of a two-woman anchor team and might this be the writing on the wall for George...or even Diane?

JOKE TIME! Amy's going to be so pissed!

I had a *bad* feeling this was coming. What the hell is wrong with what she does now and how will this change what she already does being that she's basically a third co-anchor anyway? Makes sense with them hiring Tony Reali and I'm guessing he'll do what Lara does now? Maybe George is on the way out to take up Diane's post on World News and they're laying the ground work ahead of time. I'm certain that they would implement another male and have a 3 person co-anchor team. Robin and Lara, both treasures in their own rights, cannot lead the show alone.

I had a *bad* feeling this was coming. What the hell is wrong with what she does now and how will this change what she already does being that she's basically a third co-anchor anyway? Makes sense with them hiring Tony Reali and I'm guessing he'll do what Lara does now? Maybe George is on the way out to take up Diane's post on World News and they're laying the ground work ahead of time. I'm certain that they would implement another male and have a 3 person co-anchor team. Robin and Lara, both treasures in their own rights, cannot lead the show alone.

The only thing that I disagree is your comment on Robin. Robin makes GMA. Robin could anchor solo and the show would be #1... She is the heart of the show.

I guess we'll never find out who would be George's primary fill-in. I'd guess that when one is off the other two will go it alone.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about this, as this is relatively uncharted territory. Of course, the last time a contributor was promoted was when Robin joined Charlie and Diane in May of 2005. The precise reason for that move was never really confirmed...

• Yes, Peter was sick, but this move was likely in the works before he announced his leave. Also, the network was never expecting to install someone from GMA into the nighttime role. Granted, Charlie was the primary anchor in Jennings' absence.
  • CBS at the time had four co-hosts, and NBC was starting to expand their roster, so GMA could've followed suit. Remember, GMA was working with a 5-person team then, as well, between when Mike Barz joined as a feature anchor and Tony Perkins' exit.
  • We must also keep in mind that Charlie had the intention of retiring in 2007, but the Jennings-Vargas-Woodruff mess complicated those plans.

So, as we look at this move, I think one thing is for sure. George will not be on the program for the long haul.

I guess we'll never find out who would be George's primary fill-in. I'd guess that when one is off the other two will go it alone.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about this, as this is relatively uncharted territory. Of course, the last time a contributor was promoted was when Robin joined Charlie and Diane in May of 2005. The precise reason for that move was never really confirmed...

• Yes, Peter was sick, but this move was likely in the works before he announced his leave. Also, the network was never expecting to install someone from GMA into the nighttime role. Granted, Charlie was the primary anchor in Jennings' absence.
  • CBS at the time had four co-hosts, and NBC was starting to expand their roster, so GMA could've followed suit. Remember, GMA was working with a 5-person team then, as well, between when Mike Barz joined as a feature anchor and Tony Perkins' exit.
  • We must also keep in mind that Charlie had the intention of retiring in 2007, but the Jennings-Vargas-Woodruff mess complicated those plans.

So, as we look at this move, I think one thing is for sure. George will not be on the program for the long haul.

Some good insight, but I would like to point out that Robin was reading the news when she was promoted and even in her promotion to co-anchor she still read the news. Lara does "pop" and while I enjoy her lifestyle segments I literally cringe when she's filling in for Robin, so we'll have to see how that goes. Another thing about this, Strahans new position and Reali's new position, that strikes me is that these ideas don't seem rushed or panicked but something that the network has worked on and thought about for some time. Maybe George has given them notice that he's leaving, even though we've heard nothing about a retirement from Diane. I truly believe that ABC wants George in Diane's chair at some point. It's still remarkable to me that George handles all of the networks special reports, major interviews. In the last year he has sat down with President Obama and Vladimir Putin, while Diane just wrapped up a big interview with the cast of Mad Men. Even if Diane has not mentioned stepping down, who's to say that ABC won't pair her up with George and have them both anchor World News? I like the latest additions of Michael and Tony to the program but if George heads to the evenings, ABC needs a BIG NAME to step in and sit with Robin and Lara. Someone who can carry the breaking news, serious interviews, political pundits and still have a charming personality that people somewhat enjoy for the other segments through out the morning. But who?

Some good insight, but I would like to point out that Robin was reading the news when she was promoted and even in her promotion to co-anchor she still read the news. Lara does "pop" and while I enjoy her lifestyle segments I literally cringe when she's filling in for Robin, so we'll have to see how that goes. Another thing about this, Strahans new position and Reali's new position, that strikes me is that these ideas don't seem rushed or panicked but something that the network has worked on and thought about for some time. Maybe George has given them notice that he's leaving, even though we've heard nothing about a retirement from Diane. I truly believe that ABC wants George in Diane's chair at some point. It's still remarkable to me that George handles all of the networks special reports, major interviews. In the last year he has sat down with President Obama and Vladimir Putin, while Diane just wrapped up a big interview with the cast of Mad Men. Even if Diane has not mentioned stepping down, who's to say that ABC won't pair her up with George and have them both anchor World News? I like the latest additions of Michael and Tony to the program but if George heads to the evenings, ABC needs a BIG NAME to step in and sit with Robin and Lara. Someone who can carry the breaking news, serious interviews, political pundits and still have a charming personality that people somewhat enjoy for the other segments through out the morning. But who?

I think ideally, ABC would like Muir to take over but they would probably loose George so George will he the spot. But this thread isn't for WN but for GMA.

I have no problem with Lara anchoring because when she needs to be, she can be serious but she can also be cheerful. I expect Reali to replace Lara. I actually like this move a lot and if it happens, Reali will be a great addition.

Lara can be good at the news portion but the last few times she's filled in for Robin she looks like a deer caught in headlights with her delivery. She'll ease into the role I'm sure, when given time. I'm also really hoping this news means that Reali will transition into Lara's current role on the show. Maybe Ginger will be positioned outside with crowd to prevent the desk from feeling and looking too crowded.

I'm just throwing this out there. It doesn't really pertain to this story or even this thread, really, but am I the only one that thinks Diane would be better away from the desk? I don't necessarily mean that 'World News' would be better off without her (though it likely would be), but what if she were transitioned to a role in the vein of Tom Brokaw or Barbara Walters, serving as "anchor emeritus"? Give her interviews, give her primetime specials, let her call her own hours and the freedom to make her own decisions. She'd still be there on election night...hell, even anchoring with George, she'd even show up on GMA or 'World News' from time to time. At this point in her career, and with the impending exit of Babs, I think this would be a potentially beautiful arrangement.

Totally agree. Just anything that gets her off of World News. Part of me hopes that ABC has some sort of plan in the works for her exit in coming years, hopefully they can get somebody else in there by the next election. It's quite obvious that the network has no faith in her breaking news capabilities or leadership. She was so perfect in her time on GMA but I can't stand to watch her on WN. For the love of all things holy, ABC please move her along!

Totally agree. Just anything that gets her off of World News. Part of me hopes that ABC has some sort of plan in the works for her exit in coming years, hopefully they can get somebody else in there by the next election. It's quite obvious that the network has no faith in her breaking news capabilities or leadership. She was so perfect in her time on GMA but I can't stand to watch her on WN. For the love of all things holy, ABC please move her along!

I have two points to say...

1. She will leave when and only when SHE wants to leave.

2. WN has less hard news. True, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. This site is full of news buffs who want hard news. Many people however don't want hard news as much. Ratings say it all, people like the "new" WN. Sorry if many of YOU don't like it but many others do. There are other options for you to choose.

2. WN has less hard news. True, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. This site is full of news buffs who want hard news. Many people however don't want hard news as much. Ratings say it all, people like the "new" WN. Sorry if many of YOU don't like it but many others do. There are other options for you to choose.

I have two little Charlie Gibson sound bites for this...without sound. On many occasions Mr. Gibson has stated that 'Good Morning America' is the best-named program in the history of television, I would personally say that its evening sibling has the distinction of being the worst-named. Gibson also said around the time of his retirement that the nightly news program would always be "Peter's broadcast". Yes, management has changed, Gibson is gone and Jennings died nearly a decade ago, but there's no reason why that mantra shouldn't be honored now. Would Peter do a show like the current 'World News'? I doubt it. Sure, no one explicitly said in the rule book of television news that things can't change, they do all the time, but there's something endearing about remembering where you've been. For example, look at the NBC and CBS (ignoring Couric's tenure) evening newscasts. Williams is still doing a broadcast that looks and feels similar to that of Brokaw's, and Pelley's show reflects a better time at CBS, under the leadership of Cronkite, and (to a tiny point) even Rather.

I'm not saying that ABC should tear up the script and do what CBS did, for there are many things that do work on ABC's flagship. The 'Made in America' and 'America Strong' series are two of the better fixtures in news today, and remind me a lot of something that would be on "Peter's broadcast". The health bits don't bother me, the consumer reports don't bother me, I've even come to forgive them for what they did to the 'Person of the Week' feature, but I draw a thick, deep line at the 'Instant Index'. Noting a prominent death is fine, showing a soldier coming home is fine, but the latest viral video, selfie trend, or animal playing an instrument is beyond unacceptable. If each of these silly not-notable bits were replaced with a open-minded snippet looking at some important issues on a global scale, 'World News' would be an infinitely better program, in quality and substance. It shouldn't take Russia INVADING ANOTHER COUNTRY for us to hear about something non-domestic.

And THAT's my main issue with the show. I realize times have changed, but there's no reason why the 'World' couldn't return to 'World News'.

Just to respond to your points

1. I think this comes down more so to George than to Diane. If George says he wants WN or he's out, I'm sure they'll find a way to give it to him. He's paid his dues and has sacrificed a lot for the network. I dunno just a hunch that says they're not going to let George walk away.

2. It's not much about hard news vs soft fillers. It's about the lack of substantive content. The name of the broadcast is "World News" yet you would have to struggle to find a glimpse of world issues and topics. Her newscast doesn't have to be investigative hard hitting stories but some type of substance would be nice. Take for example what Evening News's latest series of reports on the rise of poverty in America, while Nightly News has ran a series on heroin addiction in America. Diane's newscast covers issues on how to save money on your grocery bill. ABC already has a great news/lifestyle/entertainment program and it's called Good Morning America. Under her reign the brand relevance has diminished and critically she's a far 3rd behind Scott and Brian. I understand that some like the new format but for someone who admires the work of Reasoner, Jennings, Robinson and Charles Gibson the current state of the newscast for me is very discouraging.

Just to respond to your points

1. I think this comes down more so to George than to Diane. If George says he wants WN or he's out, I'm sure they'll find a way to give it to him. He's paid his dues and has sacrificed a lot for the network. I dunno just a hunch that says they're not going to let George walk away.

2. It's not much about hard news vs soft fillers. It's about the lack of substantive content. The name of the broadcast is "World News" yet you would have to struggle to find a glimpse of world issues and topics. Her newscast doesn't have to be investigative hard hitting stories but some type of substance would be nice. Take for example what Evening News's latest series of reports on the rise of poverty in America, while Nightly News has ran a series on heroin addiction in America. Diane's newscast covers issues on how to save money on your grocery bill. ABC already has a great news/lifestyle/entertainment program and it's called Good Morning America. Under her reign the brand relevance has diminished and critically she's a far 3rd behind Scott and Brian. I understand that some like the new format but for someone who admires the work of Reasoner, Jennings, Robinson and Charles Gibson the current state of the newscast for me is very discouraging.

1. I'm sorry we will have to agree to disagree. George is important but Diane is the face of the network and you may not remember but she payed her dues a long time ago.

2. You say, "critically she is 3rd..." Let's just clarify that is your opinion, not the way ratings have gone. And again, my stance is, if people want to watch it, why is it a problem? If people don't want to get "world news," why should they have to watch it? I agree, in terms of content, WN is Good Evening America, but that isn't a problem. The name.... I guess it's unfortunate, but why would hey spend millions to rename it? They shouldn't and won't. All I am saying is that if people want to watch it, then it isn't a problem as some here say it is.

Lara Spencer promoted to co-anchor GMA in a released memo

Tomorrow marks an historic milestone: two years ago GMA snapped Today’s 852-weekwinningicon1.png streak. And every day since, we have played our game and fought like underdogs, never satisfied and always looking for the best stories and those indelible television moments that make GMA so special to our audience.

With our amazing team of George, Robin, and Lara and now Amy and Ginger too- I’m confident there is much more to come-and great days ahead for Good Morning America.

Robin – the captain of our team, is the heart of GMA. No matter what she’s faced, she has made it her job to make sure that we are all taken care of. Beyond her amazing broadcasting abilities and dedication to GMA, her compassion and incredible journalism never fails to inspire-and her rallying cry that Everybody’s Got Something inspires millions of Americans every day.

Just yesterday, George, once again, showed us his dedication and versatility – anchoring GMA, rushing to Washington to interview Supreme Court Justice Stevens for This Week and making it back to NY in time to anchor the special report for President Obama’s press conference. A work ethic that’s unmatched.

Nevertheless, Robin and George would be the first to say that it takes an amazing team on air and behind the scenes to do that each morning. And Tom Cibrowski and the GMA production team is without doubt the best in the business.

A key member of our on-air team, Lara Spencer, rejoined ABC three years ago – bringing her style, humor, sunny confidence, wonderful journalism and storytelling to GMA. Lara is clearly an essential ingredient in the success we have enjoyed and I am so pleased to announce that Lara has been elevated to co-host of the program along with Robin and George.

Lara grew up at WABC and GMA and then returned to us in 2011 as GMA mounted its epic challenge. A New York Times best-selling author with another book on the way, the creator and executive producer of Flea Market Flip on HGTV and great mom to Duff and Kate, Lara is simply as talented as they come.

I remain in awe of the entire staff at GMA. With Tom at the helm and Ben’s brilliant leadership, your drive, passion, creativity and unwavering dedication to ABC News and GMA brought us to where we are today.

As I close out my first week in the new job, I want to take a moment to thank everyone for all your good wishes. I could not be more excited and honored to work with this stellar team. Your dedication and passion are unmatched and I look forward to reaching great new heights alongside all of you.

Please join me in congratulating Lara on this well-deserved promotion as we all take a moment to look back on two remarkable years. And here’s to many, many more!

James

Am I the only one here that believes that GMA is stocking too much up on women and that they can't run a successful morning show with virtually all women at the helm? If the Today Show was more or less all women, people would think they were batshit crazy and give them hell for it. I don't see that as much for GMA.