Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

One other thing about the new space I like that it combines elements of CBS This Morning and that NBC show, by combining social media and a place for guest to hang out before hitting the set. The space also fits the look and feel of Times Square. This instantly makes the show feel a bit fresher!

Social media editor Andrew Springer is claiming now that this had been in the works far before Today debuted their new spot. Guessing that whole issue of space came into play for the decision as he says the show contemplated setting up outside or upstairs.

Yes, it's not conducive for hard news, but it makes sense. People are migrating away from TV to online and social media, and viewers want to interact. This is a way to keep viewers and keep them engaged. Can't help but wonder if it was also motivated in part by Lara's contract renegotiation. This gives her something more to do on the show.

On a separate note, I think ABC should find an anchor spot for Amy Robach on GMA similar to what NBC has done on Today for Tamron Hall and Carson Daly. Even if Amy had the equivalent of Carson's job on GMA (reporting from the #SocialSquare), she is a vital part of GMA these days.

Also, another rising star on GMA... Sara Haines.

It just pisses me off that the Today Show "relaunches" themselves 6 months ago...with an extremely good mix of hard news, pop culture and interviews (exclusives and not). The create a new logo, theme (Rise to Shine, #todaysunrise, etc) and create the Orange Room, so a network morning show can better connect with their audience...and now GMA just HAS to go copy their idea. AND THEN GMA FELLS THE NEED TO LIE ABOUT IT!!! "Andrew Springer is claiming now that this had been in the works far before Today debuted their new spot" GMA also just HAD to take Today's glory away by, accidentally updating their set on the same day. It's a LOAD of BS if you ask me. Thant's my 120 word rant on the subject...***sarcasm*** No HARD FELLINGS OR ANYTHING GMA :bang:

It just pisses me off that the Today Show "relaunches" themselves 6 months ago...with an extremely good mix of hard news, pop culture and interviews (exclusives and not). The create a new logo, theme (Rise to Shine, #todaysunrise, etc) and create the Orange Room, so a network morning show can better connect with their audience...and now GMA just HAS to go copy their idea. AND THEN GMA FELLS THE NEED TO LIE ABOUT IT!!! "Andrew Springer is claiming now that this had been in the works far before Today debuted their new spot" GMA also just HAD to take Today's glory away by, accidentally updating their set on the same day. It's a LOAD of BS if you ask me. Thant's my 120 word rant on the subject...***sarcasm*** No HARD FELLINGS OR ANYTHING GMA

And Today copied GMA in many ways too, one good example is how all the anchors including Al and Natalie sit at the anchor desk rather than just Savannah and Matt. It happens, not sure how it is that big of a deal.

It just pisses me off that the Today Show "relaunches" themselves 6 months ago...with an extremely good mix of hard news, pop culture and interviews (exclusives and not). The create a new logo, theme (Rise to Shine, #todaysunrise, etc) and create the Orange Room, so a network morning show can better connect with their audience...and now GMA just HAS to go copy their idea. AND THEN GMA FELLS THE NEED TO LIE ABOUT IT!!! "Andrew Springer is claiming now that this had been in the works far before Today debuted their new spot" GMA also just HAD to take Today's glory away by, accidentally updating their set on the same day. It's a LOAD of BS if you ask me. Thant's my 120 word rant on the subject...***sarcasm*** No HARD FELLINGS OR ANYTHING GMA :bang:

No hard feelings? Right.

It is ACTUALLY possible that this was in the works before the Orange Room debuted. These things don't just go from idea to launch in a few weeks, or even a couple of months. Besides, you're acting like NBC never copied a competitor and/or lied about it before.

Maybe I overreacted a little bit...but GMA completely copied NBC (so did CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, BBC, Sky News, Al Jazerra) because the Today Show was the first morning show. I'm a little biased...but it still pisses me off. I think social media and news show show connection is HUGE in today's time and technology...but for the biggest and most direct competitor of the Today Show (1st broadcast to have a "social media" room) to add an Orange Room to their studio and call is "Square" is ridiculous. :rant:

TODAY was most certainly the first morning broadcast, but their current mix of news/lifestyle/entertainment is a copy of ABC. Which show was first to have a cooking segment or in studio fashion show? As well as incorporating a couch and coffee table in their program? And to be honest about the attached social media room, CBS would be the first of the big three to launch this. Their green room has photo booths and for guest to take photos and chit chat.

TODAY was most certainly the first morning broadcast, but their current mix of news/lifestyle/entertainment is a copy of ABC. Which show was first to have a cooking segment or in studio fashion show? As well as incorporating a couch and coffee table in their program? And to be honest about the attached social media room, CBS would be the first of the big three to launch this. Their green room has photo booths and for guest to take photos and chit chat.

Some dunkoff on their website had this to say...

this mess finally switched me away from my beloved GMA to a competitor

...to which I responded...

Where are you going to go? The 'Orange Room' on NBC? CBS might be your only option, but even they have something a little bit similar to this.

I didn't realize that CTM's is even closer than I originally thought.

Thats competition. Like it was previously said, all shows copy certain elements from each other. I think the people who lose out when shows copy each other are us, the viewers.

And Today copied GMA in many ways too, one good example is how all the anchors including Al and Natalie sit at the anchor desk rather than just Savannah and Matt. It happens, not sure how it is that big of a deal.

If anyone watched World News tonight, there was a story about Dan Harris having a panic attack while doing the news on GMA 10 years ago. They showed a clip of Diane and Charlie and I forgot how incredibly close together they sat at the table - a lot different than it is today!

I like the 'social square' more than the 'orange room' mainly because it matches the set better. It uses the same white brick like elements and matching floors and other elements. What i don't like about the Orange Room is that when they are giving and interview from the interview area of the Today set, you see Carson or producers sitting down and just talking. Its good that GMA doesn't have that view from the set of the new room. I think the basketball hoop and foosball table are gimmicky and serve no purpose. Who's playing football at 8:00 in the morning? I get why they did it but it seems pointless and just takes up space. The technology in the 'Social Square' is much better and more interactive than the Orange Room. They've combined the best parts of the CBS This Morning green room and the Orange Room.

If anyone watched World News tonight, there was a story about Dan Harris having a panic attack while doing the news on GMA 10 years ago. They showed a clip of Diane and Charlie and I forgot how incredibly close together they sat at the table - a lot different than it is today!

I miss Charlie and Diane. A lot.

Yes, it's not conducive for hard news, but it makes sense. People are migrating away from TV to online and social media, and viewers want to interact. This is a way to keep viewers and keep them engaged. Can't help but wonder if it was also motivated in part by Lara's contract renegotiation. This gives her something more to do on the show.

Why do you need a separate set for the social media segment? There's nothing wrong with reading them from the regular set. As my man FTV Live put it:

Both [Orange Room and Social Square] are nothing more than window dressing, a corner of the studio dressed up to look high tech..

Speaking of the #socialsquare GMA”‘s Senior Executive Producer Tom Cibrowski. “This will revolutionize how our show is produced in the morning and its all about engaging directly with our viewers from beginning to end.”

Really?! It's going to revolutionize how the show is produced?

Of course it's not.

Word to the networks, you can access Facebook and Twitter without a special color room that is a certain shape.

Really you can.

This is just another example of networks and TV stations thinking the viewer is that dumb.

Not that long ago, news crews would head out to the story in a live truck. Now they descend on the story in the "mobile newsroom"

A live hit from the Reporter in the newsroom no longer happens. They are now in the "content center" or some other stupid name.

It's all just lipstick on a pig.

Even if the pig is orange and square.

On a separate note, I think ABC should find an anchor spot for Amy Robach on GMA similar to what NBC has done on Today for Tamron Hall and Carson Daly. Even if Amy had the equivalent of Carson's job on GMA (reporting from the #SocialSquare), she is a vital part of GMA these days.

Also, another rising star on GMA... Sara Haines.

Sara Haines annoys the hell out of me...

I miss Charlie and Diane. A lot.

Speaking of those two, I just stumbled upon this listing through eBay and couldn't resist adding this to my GMA merchandise collection. Just got to find a 27x40 frame for it. Yes yes I know I'm a little lame lol :D

1419345433__35.JPG.2e1db45dc49143b7817a75d17a286104.JPG

Why do you need a separate set for the social media segment? There's nothing wrong with reading them from the regular set. As my man FTV Live put it:

Sara Haines annoys the hell out of me...

I didn't say either show needed one. I said it made sense. Do you think the average viewer would rather see anchors and guests interact with media in real time or just listen to them read tweets off the teleprompter? Clearly, the former.

With respect to Sara, I wouldn't go so far as to say she annoys the hell out of me, but I by no means would consider her a rising star, either.

They had chef Bobby Flay on the program this morning and the cooking segment was done from the kitchen set. Which was hidden behind those retractable monitors before the segment. The "Social Square" also appears to have a glass sliding door or window of some sort from the picture, I think it should be closed during segments where it's visible but not being used for that particular segment.

image.thumb.jpg.1b97da47aa02062cdf32e781a8edb91c.jpg