DirecTV ready to dump The "Weather" Channel?

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Buzzfeed today: "The Weather Channel Removes (Social Media) Editor For 'Where Meteorologists Go to Die' Tweet".

http://www.buzzfeed.com/passantino/the-weather-channel-removes-editor-for-where-meteorologists

They're attacking WeatherNation TV...AGAIN.

Man they were just responding to the person in a lighthearted manner. Don't know why that offended anybody.

I got an e-mail the other day from TWxC, saying that they wanted viewers to send in videos where they describe their 'good experiences' with The Weather Channel. They even go as far as stating that they would put you on air and give you a tour, if your video is good enough.

Somebody's getting desperate.

"Where meteorologists go to die" is a petty cheap shot to a company that I'm pretty sure would rather not be in the middle of this pissing match. It certainly devalues the talent at WeatherNation, who I'm sure work just as hard as their counterparts at the big boys. Plus, Paul Douglas is probably more experienced and skilled than anyone at The Weather Channel bar Brian Norcross.

Article from TV Newser (January 31st): "Weather Channel President: 'I Intend To Win'"

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-president-i-intend-to-win_b212111

As the feud between The Weather Channel and DIRECTV enters its third week, TWC president David Clark says his network’s coverage of the winter storm in the Deep South gives him confidence that they will ultimately win the battle.

Another channel has dropped on DIRECTV. This time is Inspiration Channel.

Totally different battle. Inspiration Channel is a Public Interest Channel that apparently felt they shouldn't have to pay DirecTV the wholesale cost of distribution anymore.

Article from TV Newser (January 31st): "Weather Channel President: 'I Intend To Win'"

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-president-i-intend-to-win_b212111

Good Luck to them. This is one of the rare cases in a programming dispute where the MVPD (in this case DirecTV) has the hammer. Here the programmers content (ie: forecasts) is available freely via apps and the web. Alternative sources also provide similar info either via the web or tv (WeatherNation.) This provides an "acceptable" substitute in most cases for the bulk of TWC's content. And, the original programming is so poorly rated it doen't have a "fan base" demanding it's return. Nor, is this network bundled with another network. It's almost always the reverse in other disputes. That means TWC has almost NO leverage whatsoever. TWC WILL be the one to cave in this dispute, you can take that to the bank.

Well an update on TWC/DirecTV dispute. A MAJOR shot has been fired and you probally will have no idea without some context.

TWC on Satelitte has use a app to do those local on the 8's and it's zipcode based. WeatherNation has been without this key thing..... Until today.

DirecTV unveiled Local Weather Now which is WeatherNation answer to Local on the 8's app on DirecTV. For many this was there go to for Weather and now it's back. A LOT of DTV customer are going TWC Who? This is going to last a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time and If TWC think they are going to win. DirecTV wants to break there will.

Well an update on TWC/DirecTV dispute. A MAJOR shot has been fired and you probally will have no idea without some context.

TWC on Satelitte has use a app to do those local on the 8's and it's zipcode based. WeatherNation has been without this key thing..... Until today.

DirecTV unveiled Local Weather Now which is WeatherNation answer to Local on the 8's app on DirecTV. For many this was there go to for Weather and now it's back. A LOT of DTV customer are going TWC Who? This is going to last a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time and If TWC think they are going to win. DirecTV wants to break there will.

WeatherNation's own form of Lot8 (even if it isn't exactly the same)? Say it ain't so!

It's not really that. On DirecTV's feed of The Weather Channel, you could just hit a button to bring up the latest conditions. (Fios has the same functionality.) When Local on the 8s was triggered, the box would display a local forecast based on zip code. It was very limited compared to what a dedicated STAR unit would do. I don't know how the WeatherNation version works.

For those getting WeatherNation through their local TV affiliate, they do have Local On The Fives. This video displays what they look like, along with the local LDL. WARNING: This clip contains some TERRIBLE muzak.

[yt]CVz6V62jGuc[/yt]

Well, it's slightly better than listening to elevator music, though they could use some better tracks than that.

I'm more surprised WXIA uses WeatherNation. Once upon a time, they used to partner up with TWC for weather coverage until NBC Weather Plus came about.

Well, it's slightly better than listening to elevator music, though they could use some better tracks than that.

I'm more surprised WXIA uses WeatherNation. Once upon a time, they used to partner up with TWC for weather coverage until NBC Weather Plus came about.

Yeah, then after NBC WX+, they partnered with AccuWeather for their "WIZ TV", before coming across WeatherNation, IIRC.

From MultiChannel News today: "Weather's (David) Kenny: Loss of DirecTV Subs Hurts, But Not 'Crippling' To TV Network"

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/weathers-kenny-loss-directv-subs-hurts-not-crippling-tv-network/148246

The Weather Channel did a parody of DirecTV's "Get Rid of Cable" ads. From AdAge...

http://adage.com/article/media/weather-channel-spoofs-directv-funeral-spot-amid-dispute/291605/

The DirecTV video will appear on YouTube, across Weather Channel's digital properties and on its cable channel.

Weather Channel is also looking to air the spot on national TV, but thus far hasn't gained approval, according to a spokeswoman for the channel.

If DirecTV wants WN to improve it's capabilites to the levels which TWC exists, it needs to become a personal investor to give them more money to have the ability to cover severe weather such as the snowstorm happening in the East Coast today-tomorrow. Simulcasting affiliates' coverage is great but in order for WN to be successful, it needs to be able to cover these storms with reporters on the field on it's own instead of providing the same loop of weather every 30 minutes.

Check out this story which points out WN's pitfalls http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/weathernation-tv-pops-radar-directv-fight-22448436

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but there's talent news out of TWC: Dave Schwartz, who was to be one of the tentpoles of the new Network Weather startup, is joining TWC next month.

That move says it all: Network Weather is probably being boxed out by the existing competitors and particularly the announcement of AccuWeather entering the market. It has neither the clout nor the existing product.

• 4 weeks later...

My first thought was, "Wow, didn't they just sign WeatherNation to a multi-year deal."

I liked this from the NYT story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/business/media/weather-channel-returns-to-directv.html?ref=media&_r=0

The Weather Channel also took the unusual step of accepting substantial blame for the dispute and for a campaign that the channel had started to accuse DirecTV of putting public safety at risk by keeping the channel from subscribers. In an official release, David Kenny, the chief executive of the Weather Company, which is the parent of the channel, said: “Our apologies to DirecTV and their customers for the disruption of our service and for initiating a public campaign. Our viewers deserve better than a public dispute.”

Who runs TWC? Is it Blackstone's people or is it someone hand-picked from NBCU/Comcast? I'm curious because, I'd have a hard time believing that the big wigs at NBC/Comcast would let this drag on for so long and get so nasty.

Archived