DirecTV ready to dump The "Weather" Channel?

tyrannical bastard

Who runs TWC? Is it Blackstone's people or is it someone hand-picked from NBCU/Comcast? I'm curious because, I'd have a hard time believing that the big wigs at NBC/Comcast would let this drag on for so long and get so nasty.

Blackstone, Bain Capital and NBCUniversal have an equal stake in it, I believe.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who runs TWC? Is it Blackstone's people or is it someone hand-picked from NBCU/Comcast? I'm curious because, I'd have a hard time believing that the big wigs at NBC/Comcast would let this drag on for so long and get so nasty. (

NBCU's interest is a minority investment. It's a little bit dated now but, the Public Interest filing (pg. 31) from the NBCU/Comcast merger states: "NBCU owns (and is proposing to transfer to the joint venture) a 25 percent, non-controlling interest in The Weather Channel Companies ("TWCC")." Not much has changed in the way of TWC ownership so, I doubt that percentage has changed much (if at all.) But, in any case NBC/Comcast isn't the one calling the shots at TWC past, present or future.

Just to solidify and prove who's in charge. A day before the TWC announcement yesterday DirecTV issued a press release stating they have become the preferred television provider for Hilton Worldwide. These two press releases are not unrelated. Both are owned by Blackstone Group.

EDIT: I see both The New York Times & The Wall Street Journal referenced this point as well in their respective articles on the story. Excerpts below.

"However, the executives aware of the terms of the deal, who insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss confidential negotiations, also pointed to the financial benefits of a different deal concluded a day earlier. That deal made DirecTV the preferred television supplier for Hilton Hotels worldwide.

That contract was related to the Weather Channel agreement because Hilton is owned by the Blackstone Group, a private equity firm that is also one of the owners of The Weather Channel. DirecTV has been pursuing the hotel deal for some time."

"DirecTV retreated from its demand for a significant cut to the fees it was paying the Weather Channel, instead agreeing to a slight increase, according to a person familiar with the deal. Mostly its change of heart was due to its interest in another business deal: becoming the "preferred" provider for Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc., the hotel chain, according to another person familiar with the matter. Hilton wanted the Weather Channel on the TV service—conscious that travelers are particularly focused on weather information.

Hilton's majority owner is Blackstone Group LP, which is also one of the owners of Weather Channel's parent Weather Co."

NBCU's interest is a minority investment. It's a little bit dated now but' date=' the Public Interest filing (pg. 31) from the NBCU/Comcast merger states: "NBCU owns (and is proposing to transfer to the joint venture) a 25 percent, non-controlling interest in The Weather Channel Companies ("TWCC")." Not much has changed in the way of TWC ownership so, I doubt that percentage has changed much (if at all.) But, in any case NBC/Comcast isn't the one calling the shots at TWC past, present or future.

Just to solidify and prove who's in charge. A day before the TWC announcement yesterday DirecTV issued a press release stating they have become the preferred television provider for Hilton Worldwide. These two press releases are not unrelated. Both are owned by Blackstone Group.

EDIT: I see both The New York Times & The Wall Street Journal referenced this point as well in their respective articles on the story. Excerpts below.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder if what transpired with DirecTV and TWC will lead Comcast/NBC to either up or sell their stake in TWC. I'm sure Comcast was none too pleased with what happened and also having to drag some NBC personalities into the fight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Weather Channel has a sponsored tweet promoting the fact that they're back on DirecTV and then telling viewers to watch Highway Thru Hell.

Seems contradictory to me when you consider what the dispute was about and what TWC had to change.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/456572740875472896

The Weather Channel@weatherchannel Apr 16

The Weather Channel is back on DIRECTV. Turn to channel 362 NOW to watch Highway Thru Hell. http://wxch.nl/1gz1I17 pic.twitter.com/eqO4F1sMHG

Archived