Meredith to buy KMOV, KTVK

TheRob

P-N wouldn't have wanted 3 at all, Cox would run into a conflict of interest because it is the incumbent cable company in Phoenix, and Hearst has literally stood there and done nothing in this M&A wave.

So what if Cox is the cable company in Phoenix? They're also the cable company in Tulsa and that didn't stop them from buying KOKI. It's been legal for a company to own a cable system and tv station in the same market for over ten years now.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and they seem to be using Arial a lot.

Ugh.

I agree, Arial makes the overall graphics look cheap compared to the font that the other Belo stations used. That said, I think KMOV could've done a better job with this package. The open also seems to butcher the music (which is still the same btw).

I caught the 5pm newscast and recorded the first few minutes on my phone, they're downloading to Youtube now and as soon as it is done uploading, I will post it.

I agree, Arial makes the overall graphics look cheap compared to the font that the other Belo stations used. That said, I think KMOV could've done a better job with this package. The open also seems to butcher the music (which is still the same btw).

I caught the 5pm newscast and recorded the first few minutes on my phone, they're downloading to Youtube now and as soon as it is done uploading, I will post it.

About the music, I don't have the problem with The Edge theme, but I do have a problem with how its being played. I watched the live stream of their 5 & 6pm tonight, and when I heard the bumper cue, it sounds like it goes uptempo then seconds later, it slows down, like someone playing it from a broken tape player. Whoever edited that cue, it sounds really irritating.

As for the graphics, although they pulled a WWL in not animating their bug, I really hate how they're using a different font for the L3s, instead of the other font that most of the stations with this package is using, yet they do use that other font for other usage. I don't see a problem with the other font, unless some viewers or a CSD think its too small (I doubt it).

I stand by what I said earlier. I don't think Meredith is going to keep these GFX on KMOV on the long term.

About the music, I don't have the problem with The Edge theme, but I do have a problem with how its being played. I watched the live stream of their 5 & 6pm tonight, and when I heard the bumper cue, it sounds like it goes uptempo then seconds later, it slows down, like someone playing it from a broken tape player. Whoever edited that cue, it sounds really irritating.

As for the graphics, although they pulled a WWL in not animating their bug, I really hate how they're using a different font for the L3s, instead of the other font that most of the stations with this package is using, yet they do use that other font for other usage. I don't see a problem with the other font, unless some viewers or a CSD think its too small (I doubt it).

I stand by what I said earlier. I don't think Meredith is going to keep these GFX on KMOV on the long term.

I like The Edge as well, but you tacking the same criticism that I had with it, the open sounds more disjointed as if they had to cut it too short to fit the new graphic open. And I noticed the bumper cue as well, it does sound a little weird to me.

I don't know why they decided to use Arial. The other font that the other Belo stations may be hard to read but I was able to manage. I just think there are a lot better alternatives than Arial.

I'm hoping they get a new graphics package in addition to a new set similar to the one KCTV has once Meredith takes over (probably wishful thinking on my part).

BTW: Here is the 5PM open from tonight's newscast (sorry for the crappy quality, I took it with my phone):

In somewhat related news, KTVK has hired Brandon (Lee) Rudat to co-anchor the 4:30pm block of "Good Evening Arizona." It appears he is coming from soon-to-be-sister-station WGCL in Atlanta, where he left under some unclear circumstances.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73453/ktvk-adds-brandon-lee-as-430-pm-anchor

KMOV is using the same font as the other former Belo stations do this morning.

And watching the 10PM newscast, they've gone back to Arial. So we know that they have the regular Belo font in their graphics program, they just decide to use Arial for whatever reason.

The bug also now includes "KMOV.COM" below the "News 4" logo.

Where does KSAZ stand in ratings overall? In terms of ranks, are they fifth?

KSAZ is definitely a top-four station, sign-on to sign-off. They do well in mornings, early-fringe, and late news. KTVK is not a top-four station anymore due to the rise of KTVW (Univision).

KSAZ is definitely a top-four station, sign-on to sign-off. They do well in mornings, early-fringe, and late news. KTVK is not a top-four station anymore due to the rise of KTVW (Univision).

Or KNXV could somehow be up there. But I would think that KTVW is such a strong station in the market (remember, it was alone for a couple decades, and for its first 28 years it was the only full-power Spanish station in the market).

In either event the top six are KTVK, KPHO, KSAZ, KPNX, KNXV and KTVW. KTVK and one of the others are not top four.

Or KNXV could somehow be up there. But I would think that KTVW is such a strong station in the market (remember, it was alone for a couple decades, and for its first 28 years it was the only full-power Spanish station in the market).

In either event the top six are KTVK, KPHO, KSAZ, KPNX, KNXV and KTVW. KTVK and one of the others are not top four.

I agree with you on who the "top six" are. I think KNXV is #6 because of their weak syndicated lineup. And, since ABC isn't nearly as strong of a network as CBS (except for news division). CBS' very popular primetime lineup is the only thing propping up KPHO. Otherwise they'd be out of the top four. 5's local newscasts don't have the viewer loyalty of KPNX or KSAZ (or even KTVK, despite their late news woes).

• 1 month later...

Meredith owns KMOV now? Awesome Meredith will take good care of KMOV what about Phoenix?

Meredith is hit-or-miss. If they keep the current GM, they'll be fine. If they decide to bring in a Karpowicz lackey, watch out! They're very anti-diginet and pro-mobile DTV.

Don't forget, the daily paid lifestyle show will have the name "Better" sooner than you know it!

Meredith is hit-or-miss. If they keep the current GM, they'll be fine. If they decide to bring in a Karpowicz lackey, watch out! They're very anti-diginet and pro-mobile DTV.

Don't forget, the daily paid lifestyle show will have the name "Better" sooner than you know it!

KMOV now needs a new news director now that the current one is going to Scripps. That will be a sign of how Meredith will run KMOV.

The KMOV one was approved on Wednesday (about two months after the paperwork has been filed. THAT WAS FAST!!!!). The KTVK/KASW is still yet to be greenlighted.

The good thing about this was that the KMOV paperwork weren't filed concurrently (or together, like these full group deals) with the KTVK/KASW apps. Otherwise, it would've been a longer wait (KASW app does have a proposed JSA, they'd amended that app four times, they'd just added the proposed JSA in their app last week, something Wheeler wants to curb). They also added the "Public Interest Statement", similar to what SagamoreHill did with Granite-Quincy related apps, pitching that their assignment are in the Public Interest, a proposal to add certain local programming, and work with Meredith to acquire local collegiate/high school sports programming.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for much needed improvements for KMOV under the Meredith fold. Hoping for the best.

Archived