WGCL getting a new set

Hickman360

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have a debut day yet?

about 2-3 weeks from now. 1st week in march if not earlier.

On February 14th, 2014, WGCL put their new set on the air in the background during a weather segment that included their new logo that included the term CBS 46. General manager Trey Fabacher said "We will be launching in the next 2-3 weeks." on February 12th, 2014.

http://atlantaslocaltv.weebly.com/1/post/2014/02/wcgl-to-become-cbs46-for-the-second-time.html

So after becoming WGCL, it has been:

• CBS Atlanta News (1999–2000)
  • Clear News (2000–2002)
  • CBS Atlanta News (2002–2003)
  • CBS 46 News (2003–2009)
  • CBS Atlanta News (2009–2014)
  • CBS 46 News (2014-present)

You would think they would stick to just one branding.

why not CBS 46 Atlanta or something like that? Hell. Just combine the two by this point. If all else fails, just go to "action news." We had an NBC Action News and still have an ABC Action news, why not get a CBS Action News while we're in there?

Even better yet, why not WGCL News? That's the one thing they haven't tried yet. It's the simplest news station branding in the book.

why not CBS 46 Atlanta or something like that? Hell. Just combine the two by this point. If all else fails, just go to "action news." We had an NBC Action News and still have an ABC Action news, why not get a CBS Action News while we're in there?

Even better yet, why not WGCL News? That's the one thing they haven't tried yet. It's the simplest news station branding in the book.

WSB would throw a fit if another station in Atlanta took their beloved "Action News" name.

At this point, I don't really care what WGCL calls themselves; whether it is WGCL News, CBS 46 News, CBS News Atlanta, or CBS Atlanta News. They could go back to "Clear News" for all I care. What they need to do is to find one identity and stick with it; no more of this endless five-year change they seem to be dealing with. It's a big part of the reason why WGCL always finds itself in the ratings basement: there is no sense of continuity at that station. The revolving door of anchors and reporters, the frequent name changes, programming changes....it's absurd.

WSB would throw a fit if another station in Atlanta took their beloved "Action News" name.

At this point, I don't really care what WGCL calls themselves; whether it is WGCL News, CBS 46 News, CBS News Atlanta, or CBS Atlanta News. They could go back to "Clear News" for all I care. What they need to do is to find one identity and stick with it; no more of this endless five-year change they seem to be dealing with. It's a big part of the reason why WGCL always finds itself in the ratings basement: there is no sense of continuity at that station. The revolving door of anchors and reporters, the frequent name changes, programming changes....it's absurd.

totally forgot that WSB goes by "action news." I can't imagine how odd it must be for some of those people to constantly refer to themselves by a new name. "Thank you for watching Clear New...CBS fourt...CBS Atlanta at 6pm everybody." Watching the on-air staff at KSHB get used to saying "41 Action News," rather than "NBC Action News," or even rarer, "(NBC) 41 News" (from the 90s, early 00s) seemed to take long enough itself.

Figures, considering WSMV uses the current NBC O&O look.

KPHO's really due for new graphics but I imagine they are waiting to get KTVK and consolidate. There's no way they can use a CBS package if they are going to do a combined operation.

TOTALLY called it!! :D

Beat you to the punch on the graphics (but not the name; I'll give you that one). Pay close attention to the tiny text:

Who knows, maybe they'll get the new O&O graphics to go along with the set! Just kidding...

...or am I?

Between this and Google Fiber, this is good news! Of course, it's WGCL, so I will be watching to see if they made any structural changes, as those matter more than cosmetic changes.

Guest NewsHound

Beat you to the punch on the graphics (but not the name; I'll give you that one). Pay close attention to the tiny text:

Between this and Google Fiber, this is good news! Of course, it's WGCL, so I will be watching to see if they made any structural changes, as those matter more than cosmetic changes.

Okay ill give you graphics if you give me the name. :)

Found another picture! Would guess the left is the home base and the right is the weather center. Is it me or does the WX center and the anchor desk look unusually close? Debut is one week from today according to a reporters Facebook. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

that set looks totally unfinished. :/

Found another picture! Would guess the left is the home base and the right is the weather center. Is it me or does the WX center and the anchor desk look unusually close? Debut is one week from today according to a reporters Facebook. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So...I'm pretty unimpressed. The best they could come up with are bright blue duratrans with the CBS eye on it with stale, cold metallic desks? It's really starting to remind me of 11Alive.

Archived