WGCL getting a new set

Hickman360

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is that the same company who did KCTV5 newer newsset?

Yeah FX did KCTV5's. Not their best work if I do say so myself.

It may be an FX job, but it looks like they've "stolen" the curved LED monitor wall design used at KXAS.

At first I thought FX had built their set, but you're right, it would appear as if that they've "borrowed" the idea from Jack Morton.

I am watching the morning news on WGCL this and I notice that they are using a picture of KPIX old news set as their temp set. I wonder if that's indicating that the new set will look similar to KPIX current set.

Why do I have a feeling CBS O&O graphics and a return to CBS 46 is underway?

I would be happy if they go back to the "46" branding. But should this happens, this will continue their long tradition of constant "see-saw" branding changes, mostly between "CBS Atlanta" and "CBS 46".

I would be happy if they go back to the "46" branding. But should this happens, this will continue their long tradition of constant "see-saw" branding changes, mostly between "CBS Atlanta" and "CBS 46".

I agree. They should go with CBS 46 Atlanta, which is the best of both worlds and leave it at that once and for all. I doubt a new set is going to make a difference ratings wise but the previous set was dark and ugly.

I'd say change the call letters back to WGNX and call it a day, but we all know that isn't happening anytime soon. There have been so many back-and-forth branding changes at Channel 46 ever since it became a CBS affiliate Meredith acquired the station it's ridiculous.

:rant:

Honestly, I don't think they even care anymore.

WGCL started out (post-WGNX) as the ill-fated fluffy Clear News, then went back to CBS Atlanta News, then to ATLANTA'S NEWSCHANNELLLLLLL!, then to just CBS 46 News, then BACK to CBS Atlanta News...I would be surprised if WGCL didn't go back to CBS 46 News when the new set launches. Wait five years, and come 2019, provided there's no Meredith M&A action, they'll be back to Clear News.

There's a reason why I haven't been posting in this thread much: I specifically try to avoid WGCL during their local newscasts. There's no quality to be found anywhere. They don't put any effort in maintaining the integrity of their news operation. There's no full-time sports department. There's not an iota of talent or branding continuity at that station. Think about it; WXIA has been "11Alive News" full-time since 1995, WSB has been "(Channel 2) Action News" since ~1972, and WAGA has been "Fox 5 News" since 1997. WGCL? See above (and that's just since 2000). WSB (and also WAGA to an extent) have been the leaders in talent continuity for as long as I can remember; WGCL changes out their anchor lineup every six months. WGCL has demonstrated that they are willing to piss their few viewers off by airing their newscasts during an important network event, as shown in the Tony Awards fiasco last year.

Guest NewsHound

WGCL started out (post-WGNX) as the ill-fated fluffy Clear News, then went back to CBS Atlanta News, then to ATLANTA'S NEWSCHANNELLLLLLL!, then to just CBS 46 News, then BACK to CBS Atlanta News...I would be surprised if WGCL didn't go back to CBS 46 News when the new set launches. Wait five years, and come 2019, provided there's no Meredith M&A action, they'll be back to Clear News.

There's a reason why I haven't been posting in this thread much: I specifically try to avoid WGCL during their local newscasts. There's no quality to be found anywhere. They don't put any effort in maintaining the integrity of their news operation. There's no full-time sports department. There's not an iota of talent or branding continuity at that station. Think about it; WXIA has been "11Alive News" full-time since 1995, WSB has been "(Channel 2) Action News" since ~1972, and WAGA has been "Fox 5 News" since 1997. WGCL? See above (and that's just since 2000). WSB (and also WAGA to an extent) have been the leaders in talent continuity for as long as I can remember; WGCL changes out their anchor lineup every six months. WGCL has demonstrated that they are willing to piss their few viewers off by airing their newscasts during an important network event, as shown in the Tony Awards fiasco last year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they briefly known as WGCL News after the whole Clear News debacle fell through? I wouldn't mind seeing that brand, it's simple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they briefly known as WGCL News after the whole Clear News debacle fell through? I wouldn't mind seeing that brand, it's simple.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Before they switched to WGCL, I think they were WGNX News. And more specifically, their logos were WGNX Channel 46 News, then WGNX CBS 46 News once they became affiliated with CBS.

Guest NewsHound

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Before they switched to WGCL, I think they were WGNX News. And more specifically, their logos were WGNX Channel 46 News, then WGNX CBS 46 News once they became affiliated with CBS.

That's probably what I'm thinking of. I do remember seeing a YouTube video at some point of a news open right as they started phasing out Clear News and it had a WGCL TV 46 Atlanta logo. It was kinda of a bluish, blackish, grayish package.

What still plagues me is why this station is still affiliated with CBS when CBS owns WUPA (CW 69) in Atlanta... I mean I can understand not wanting to get the UHF Channel number of 69 in a pre-digital world, but we're post-digital now and my god CBS would be the only O&O in Atlanta. Business and promotions wise it makes perfect sense.

3 letters.

W-W-J.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they unofficially debut their weather set today during their 4pm newscast. They're still broadcasting all of their newscasts from their temp set.

Oh! In that case, I'll try to watch during their 11pm newscast. The rest of the set should follow soon (and hopefully, new graphics)!

Archived